GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,000 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooking Rumble

Welcome to Cooking Rumble, a game where each player is a Chef participating in a culinary contest. Earn the title the of Master Chef by winning this cooking competition, but be wary, our judge will never try the same dish twice.

This is our first entry to 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

This game is as simple or complex as the person you are playing with.
I play this with my 4 year old daughter, and with my fiancé, and each one plays completely different.

Designer: Emilio Estrada
Artist: Nono-Choise
Players: 2
Play time: 5 - 10 minutes.
Ages: 6+

Contents:
16 poker sized card.
16 round tokens (Black or white).
2 round tokens, red on one side, green on the other.
2 round tokens, yellow on one side, purple on the other.

Easy to manufacture, easy to play! Hard to master

Contest ready
Click our HERE to download our print and play. Rules available in English and Spanish.

Contest categories:
Best Date Night Game
Best Game to Play with Your Child
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components
Best New Mechanic
Best New Designer
Best Game

Pictures of people playing!
The game was tested at the International Tabletop Day, by some friends online, and by several strangers I have met on the streets.

Quick Feedback
Poll
What is your opinion of this game, after playtesting?
  Not Aplicable Horrible Bad Fair Good Great Perfect
Balance
Production quality
Theme/flavor
Components
Rule complexity
Manual understandable
      2 answers
Poll created by milo_del_mal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cooking Rumble - 2017 2-Player PnP Design Contest
Hi,

Nice little double-guessing game, I hope I find some time to playtest it with one of my kids.

While you're working on the instructions and material, here are some remarks :
- I'm seeing only one red/green bonus token on the token sheet
- The text for setup says that each player should get one of each bonus token, but the picture shows each player having two identical tokens.
- Point 2 of the Sequence of play should be re-written. "complete" seems to indicate that a player can only play the last remaining ingredient, not the next in line. Referring to a FAQ when you've just begun explaining the game is not reassuring (even the very idea of a FAQ is surprising for a lightweight game.) The legal moves should be explained in the main part of the rules, so the 1st paragraph and example from the FAQ should be placed under point 2.
- You never mention that each player puts black tokens on *his side* of the recipe, independently from what the other is doing. One can infer it from the layout of the cards and the final example, but it's never explicitly stated.
- What happens when a black token has been placed on a bonus token, and then another recipe is completed ? Do you remove both, or take the bonus token from under the black one ?
- In the Spanish rules you're missing points 4 (reveal ingredient card) and 6 (return ingredient card to hand).
- Generally speaking the numbers of the points are not consistent throughout the rules and the language versions.

Keepup the good work !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your suggestions. I am still testing my rules.

I will make sure I implement those changes tonight.

Rule writing for others is hard. I am glad the community can help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings peeps, we would like to hear you opinion about our "Recipe Cards" proposal.

Our icons for each ingredient will be also added to our ingredients cards.

So, should recipes have their recipe name in the cards? Or should that be relegated to the manual?
Should the point value be mirrored in the other side as well?
Is one arrow enough to convey the ingredient order? Or should we use 3 arrows?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Welcome to the contest Emilio, and best of luck! JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pictures of people playing the game have been added.
Have you tried Cooking Rumble yet?
What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played your game.

Wonder what color top player has played

I don't like deception games, and that includes this one. But there are plenty that love them, so I simply won't comment on the gameplay.

Components
* The art looks good, but the difference in saturation between the recipe and ingredients cards is weird.
* Points on the recipe cards are a bit hidden in the art. I'd prefer the numbers to be a bit bigger.
* The black tokens are a bit... black. Tonally they are disjoint with the rest of the art.
Manual
* Phase 3, step 1, i and ii; In "i" the manual takes some effort to make clear that the black tokens are absolutely not to be removed from the cards. In "ii" you have to remove the black tokens anyway. Do I misunderstand the situation here or is it simply that all tokens on the card are to be removed and given back to the owners and that the distinction is unnecessary?

Overall though, mostly due to the text, this game feels like it is not intended to be a free and complete PnP game at all, but rather an incomplete preview for a commercial game. Can you confirm the final game will be available as free PnP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, Thank you for your thorough feedback
I will be checking 66d6 soon.

The bonus tokens exist precisely to avoid the triple color situation, but you have to use the carefully, as you only have two available, and they only reset when any player completes a recipe.

Tynes wrote:

* The art looks good, but the difference in saturation between the recipe and ingredients cards is weird.

Yes, that is something we need to work on. Lowering the background saturation in the recipe cards, working on the colors of the ingredient cards.

Tynes wrote:

Components
* Points on the recipe cards are a bit hidden in the art. I'd prefer the numbers to be a bit bigger.

Roger, we will fix it once the competition is over.

Tynes wrote:

Components
* The black tokens are a bit... black. Tonally they are disjoint with the rest of the art.

We are still trying to think how to make those tokens so they do not interfere with gameplay. I have been using white tokens, and they look a little bit better. Do you have any suggestions?

Tynes wrote:

* Phase 3, step 1, i and ii; In "i" the manual takes some effort to make clear that the black tokens are absolutely not to be removed from the cards. In "ii" you have to remove the black tokens anyway. Do I misunderstand the situation here or is it simply that all tokens on the card are to be removed and given back to the owners and that the distinction is unnecessary?

Sorry, I guess I need to reword this. The black token stays, unless it is on a recipe that is completed. So, if I completed recipe 1, and recipe 2 has a black token over a bonus token, the black token stays, and the bonus token goes back. If there is a black token over a bonus token in recipe 1 (the one that was completed), both tokens go back to their owners. Any suggestions?

Tynes wrote:
Overall though, mostly due to the text, this game feels like it is not intended to be a free and complete PnP game at all, but rather an incomplete preview for a commercial game. Can you confirm the final game will be available as free PnP?

Yes, we intend to grab all the feedback recollected here, and making a commercial product to be launched in Kickstarter; however, this is the game's full version. Our intention is to make a very simple gateway game, but with enough depth to be played multiple times.
We are still ways to go in the art department.

Well Tynes, Thank you for playing and taking your time understanding my game. I will be trying 66d6 this weekend if possible. I just do not know yet If I will use dice (because I do not have that many) or paper.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New art.

Sadly, we did not manage to finish our art in time for the closing of the contest, but this is the kind of art we want our characters to have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We recieved a great present, a few pictures of some kids playtesting our game.

They also sent a few audios, and they loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Ambrose
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed out the materials. I should be playtesting it tonight and giving feedback soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Ambrose
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Emilio!

I really enjoyed your game. It's like a variant of rock-paper-scissors but better tasting of course

I don't have a lot to comment about the actual gameplay, more-so notes about the rules.

I'll comment in order that they appear in the rules:

Page 1 - Title reads Cookin without a "g" on the end.

For the yellow wheat symbol, you have that ingredient listed as "cereals" but I think a better translation and overall word that fits more along with the other ingredients would be starches or grains.

Also, you wrote Lado above the bonus tokens on page 1, but I think that translates to "side"?

Page 4 - I might add a sentence about when you get your bonus tokens back. I say this because my friend thought he got his bonus token back right after he covered it with a black token, but actually you get it back after the recipe is complete. You mention it later on Page 6 but thought you might mention it when you first mention bonus tokens as well. Other thoughts, what if your opponent completes the recipe first, do you still get it back or could they get your token instead? What if you get three tokens but they can only be played once (that might work more thematically with throwing ingredients into a recipe, just a thought)?

You added an "I" within the bolded question about legal ingredients to play.

Also, on page 4, you wrote "Plaver" instead of "Player" above and below the card examples.

Page 5 - On part b under i, I might add something at the end of like "and is a valid or legal play", meaning they play it on a legal ingredient that is the next one added.

Is part C under number 3 even necessary? On Page 4, you answer the question about which ingredient is legal to play so wouldn't it be illegal to play an ingredient that isn't allowed and thus the move wouldn't happen and the player would have to re-choose?

Page 7 - You don't need the comma after "correctly" but you do need to change the word "of" to "or" after it.

My buddy and I had a good time. I think really young kids could learn to play and love this game. Also, I want to echo a previous comment about the black tokens and say that they do not match the rest of the art. You could easily make the bonus token have a spatula or mixer on it. Best of luck with it! Hope some of this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Cool game! The art is very nice and cute.

I had one question/observation on this part from the rules:

a. If a recipe WAS COMPLETED (3 black tokens placed).
i. All bonus tokens in every recipe are returned to their respective owners.
1. If a black token is on top of a bonus token, only the bonus token is retrieved, the black token stays in place.

ii. Black tokens in the completed recipe are returned to their respective owners.

It seems like point 1 and point ii could be merged to avoid confusion. In other words: all tokens go back to their owners. No need to separate the 2 things out. It makes it seem like it is super important to leave the black tokens in place but in reality you are just going to be returning them.

Unless I'm missing something/not understanding properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
era13 wrote:

I don't have a lot to comment about the actual gameplay, more-so notes about the rules.

I guess that is good. Right?

era13 wrote:

Page 4 - I might add a sentence about when you get your bonus tokens back. I say this because my friend thought he got his bonus token back right after he covered it with a black token, but actually you get it back after the recipe is complete. You mention it later on Page 6 but thought you might mention it when you first mention bonus tokens as well. Other thoughts, what if your opponent completes the recipe first, do you still get it back or could they get your token instead? What if you get three tokens but they can only be played once (that might work more thematically with throwing ingredients into a recipe, just a thought)?

I could do it with 3 - 4 tokens, with a one time use, but that would increase the probability that the game gets "locked". They go back when a card is drawn, because there is a new color mix, and the game could get locked.

era13 wrote:

My buddy and I had a good time. I think really young kids could learn to play and love this game. Also, I want to echo a previous comment about the black tokens and say that they do not match the rest of the art. You could easily make the bonus token have a spatula or mixer on it. Best of luck with it! Hope some of this helps!

I want to make the black tokens like, cooking pans, so, it represents the ingredient was added in a pan.

And glad you liked it. It has been played by a lot of kids, and they have enjoyed it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattramsey wrote:
Cool game! The art is very nice and cute.

I had one question/observation on this part from the rules:

a. If a recipe WAS COMPLETED (3 black tokens placed).
i. All bonus tokens in every recipe are returned to their respective owners.
1. If a black token is on top of a bonus token, only the bonus token is retrieved, the black token stays in place.

ii. Black tokens in the completed recipe are returned to their respective owners.

It seems like point 1 and point ii could be merged to avoid confusion. In other words: all tokens go back to their owners. No need to separate the 2 things out. It makes it seem like it is super important to leave the black tokens in place but in reality you are just going to be returning them.

Unless I'm missing something/not understanding properly.

No, you are right. Writings instructions is hard. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pflieger
United States
California
flag msg tools
milo_del_mal wrote:

Well, a little bit of it is fixed now. I made some grammar and translation fixes to the text. (Most notably, I changed "Cereals" to "Grains.") I also changed the scoring example text to fit the picture that you used. There will be more, but my computer is updating and I had to make the changes (and this post) on my phone.

Oh... Umm... I hope this doesn't get you in trouble concerning the contest. If it can, I'm sorry and feel free to revert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Formedras wrote:
milo_del_mal wrote:

Well, a little bit of it is fixed now. I made some grammar and translation fixes to the text. (Most notably, I changed "Cereals" to "Grains.") I also changed the scoring example text to fit the picture that you used. There will be more, but my computer is updating and I had to make the changes (and this post) on my phone.

Oh... Umm... I hope this doesn't get you in trouble concerning the contest. If it can, I'm sorry and feel free to revert.

We are not allowed to change the Rules until the end of the competition, which is today.

I guess I will have to revert it, and once the competition is over (which is tonight), change it back.

Thank you so much, thou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for your vigilance to the rules.

I'm this case I'll let you get away with it. With voting so close to closing it is not going to make any difference, so just leave the changes if it is going to be a hassle to revert them.

Good luck,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings everyone!

I have decided to Launch Cooking Rumble on Kickstarter and we are doing great. We have already been funded and reached 300% of our goal, unlocking 6 stretch goals!

I want to invite you guys to support us! Our Kickstarter link is the following: https://goo.gl/JC4ffg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.