GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,459 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Adding PIERCE as an enhancement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this only be added to an existing pierce card? If not, does it only 1 level of pierce, or is the entire attack amount now "piercing"?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Pierce sticker? I think you can only add a +1 sticker to an existing pierce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you can only add +1 to an existing Pierce.

Here is a helpful thread on what can be added where: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1747921/enhancement-cha...

Note the summarized chart in one of the later posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Note that in the general case (all cases I'm aware of, but I'm still not through the game) +1 damage is > 1 pierce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Jeff's correct, +1 attack is always better than 1 pierce in every possible circumstance. So just do a +1 attack enhancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrangVP wrote:
Jeff's correct, +1 attack is always better than 1 pierce in every possible circumstance. So just do a +1 attack enhancement.

True in most cases, but not all. If +1 attack still does not put your attack value over the enemy's shield value, then it is worth nothing. +1 pierce would be better in this case. I still would recommend the +1 attack unless you're really struggling with high shield enemies.

EDIT: This was incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
CurlyJefferson wrote:
TrangVP wrote:

True in most cases, but not all. If +1 attack still does not put your attack value over the enemy's shield value, then it is worth nothing. +1 pierce would be better in this case. I still would recommend the +1 attack unless you're really struggling with high shield enemies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how pierce would be any better in this case. If +1 attack isn't enough to get over the shield amount, than +1 pierce would be exactly the same. Pierce is just extra damage that can only be applied to shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
CurlyJefferson wrote:
TrangVP wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how pierce would be any better in this case. If +1 attack isn't enough to get over the shield amount, than +1 pierce would be exactly the same. Pierce is just extra damage that can only be applied to shields.

My bad. I was interpreting Pierce as "X amount of your damage gets through the enemy's shield." I am happy to have been corrected. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Pierce reduces their shields for the attack by the pierce value, it doesn't let you ignore shields up to the pierce value.

For example, an enemy has 4 shields, and you have an attack 3 (let's assume you always draw +0).

With no pierce, you do 0 damage.
With 1 pierce, you still do 0 damage.
With +1 attack, you also do 0 damage.

It's the same result. Pierce has at worst the same impact as an equivalent amount of + attack.

Meanwhile +1 attack is more advantageous where:
- the enemy has no shields, in which case pierce has no effect.
- you already have enough pierce to reduce their shields to 0, in which case excess pierce has no effect.
- you draw a 2x/bless card, which will double the +1 attack to +2 attack (meanwhile pierce is not doubled).

edit: saw your post after I posted mine, it's all good mate, I thought it was the same as your interpretation as first too because it felt more intuitive based on other games I'd played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.