GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,486 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Changing to innate +1: how do you pay 6 bones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only have 5 bones in your backup plan. So how do you pay 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get the 6th, you remove all the BP die and upgrade your Inate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 in the backup plan + 1 just rolled = 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, the upgrade is instant use, so you pay the dice pool instead of the mat slots (along with the 5 you had stocked up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I figured, but as written, page 9:

Your gearlocs innate can be upgraded by using 6 bones on your backup plan.

Page 11:

It takes the use of 6 bones to upgrade to a gearlocs innate +1

Either way, is the intent that this is treated as your one backup plan execution per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
Yes, the upgrade is instant use, so you pay the dice pool instead of the mat slots (along with the 5 you had stocked up).

Can you pay with any combination of bones rolled and bp bones?

So is this not considered a backup plan execution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the character sheets the upgrade is listed as part of your backup plan. So yes, it counts as your backup plan activation for that turn.

You can never store more dice than you have slots available, same as for active and locked dice. You can still spend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I ran into this last night and I played it as a backup plan execution. Patches had 5 bones in his backup plan and rolled two defense dice, which both came up as bones. I cleared the bones from the backup slots and one bone from the roll into the dice pool, flipped his chip, and slotted the second bone from the dice roll into the first backup slot afterward. (The rule book says "The cost of using a BP Skill varies from 1-6 bones as shown on Gearloc Mat & Reference Sheet" right after it tells you that you can only use 1 Backup Plan Skill per turn, so I believe that is the correct way to play it.

Edit: looking at this again, I probably should have played 2 dice from the roll and 4 from the slots on my backup plan for the 6 to resolve correctly, but live and learn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
On the character sheets the upgrade is listed as part of your backup plan. So yes, it counts as your backup plan activation for that turn.

You can never store more dice than you have slots available, same as for active and locked dice. You can still spend them.

EDIT: And remember multi bones dice take up a virtual slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
I ran into this last night and I played it as a backup plan execution. Patches had 5 bones in his backup plan and rolled two defense dice, which both came up as bones. I cleared the bones from the backup slots and one bone from the roll into the dice pool, flipped his chip, and slotted the second bone from the dice roll into the first backup slot afterward. (The rule book says "The cost of using a BP Skill varies from 1-6 bones as shown on Gearloc Mat & Reference Sheet" right after it tells you that you can only use 1 Backup Plan Skill per turn, so I believe that is the correct way to play it.

Edit: looking at this again, I probably should have played 2 dice from the roll and 4 from the slots on my backup plan for the 6 to resolve correctly, but live and learn!

I believe you played it correctly by using the 5 backup dice and one rolled bone.

I think the rules say that you can use up to so many bones from backup to get the corresponding effect for that number of bones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
EDIT: And remember multi bones dice take up a virtual slot.
I figured someone would chime in with that - I was hoping they'd provide a reference as I don't have the rules handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, upgrading t your Innate +1 is instant, and counts as your BP for that turn. If you choose NOT to upgrade, any extra Bones are lost.

Edit: If you choose not to upgrade OR use a different BP, anything above 5 is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I understand it, you only use your slots for storing dice between your rounds. You can play the appropriate dice from any where, including and especially those just rolled. Josh covers the bones above - but happen to roll six bones for your turn and have five slotted? Just spend the six bones from your roll and leave the five in place. Or spend five in place and one from your roll. Or any combination in between. It's basically "how many do you have stored and available in your turn's roll?"

The other important piece for this is defense. Playing Picket with only three Active slots and not yet having Innate+1 means more than three def dice cannot be saved on your turn. But! I loved attacking Lashback critters - roll the extra def dice and spend it (or a smaller number from storage if appropriate) and still have three def dice slotted in Active. It's especially nice for Picket because then you can keep rolling for those 2 def values to save and for bones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
As far as I understand it, you only use your slots for storing dice between your rounds. You can play the appropriate dice from any where, including and especially those just rolled. Josh covers the bones above - but happen to roll six bones for your turn and have five slotted? Just spend the six bones from your roll and leave the five in place. Or spend five in place and one from your roll. Or any combination in between. It's basically "how many do you have stored and available in your turn's roll?"

The other important piece for this is defense. Playing Picket with only three Active slots and not yet having Innate+1 means more than three def dice cannot be saved on your turn. But! I loved attacking Lashback critters - roll the extra def dice and spend it (or a smaller number from storage if appropriate) and still have three def dice slotted in Active. It's especially nice for Picket because then you can keep rolling for those 2 def values to save and for bones!

From Pg. 11 of the rulebook:
"• Line up from left to right in the order they are earned.
• Use from left to right. Shift unused [Bones] all the way left."

So you do need to spend Bones in the order you earned them, you can't elect to spend unslotted Bones instead of saved ones. This just basically forces you to cycle through your Bones if you have special ones that come back to your Battle Mat once used.

Defense dice have no such restriction so you can spend whichever defense dice are most advantageous for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was exactly my problem with the language. You use bones from the slots, so to use 6 you must spend 5, then interrupt your spending to slot at least one more bone to then finish paying for the innate upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... or you could just spend the 5 in your slots and any one other Bone you rolled. You don't HAVE to spend from your slots. You just have to spend from them first before anything you just rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
rpvt wrote:

From Pg. 11 of the rulebook:
"• Line up from left to right in the order they are earned.
• Use from left to right. Shift unused [Bones] all the way left."

So you do need to spend Bones in the order you earned them, you can't elect to spend unslotted Bones instead of saved ones. This just basically forces you to cycle through your Bones if you have special ones that come back to your Battle Mat once used.

Defense dice have no such restriction so you can spend whichever defense dice are most advantageous for you!

This is what caused this question in the first place as there is no allowance for the sixth bone. There is a point on using "special" bones in an appropriate time, but I think only picket has reusable bones? Everything else is either common pool or exhausted. The only other consideration are those rare few options to unexhaust a die.

So, real question: does the order of bones usage really change anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.