GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Bugs

Subject: Can't ADD game to Geeklist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to add a game to a geeklist and no matter how I tried it did not display the game as one of my selection options in the drop-down list. The game is one of the games from the Pack-O-games line. Specifically the game BOX. I was able to add it to my collection, but I am not even able to create a link to the game in this post. Again, not displayed as one of my selection options.

HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game even in the BGG database?

Doing an Advanced Search for "Box", I see 5 pages of games with "Box" in the title, but I didn't notice one called simply "Box". (Maybe I just overlooked it though.)

If you know that it's in the database and have some way to get at it, then you can simply use its numeric id to Insert Geek Link.

---

Aha, I see it, id = 195455

BOX

Indeed it does not seem to show up as a candidate in the "Insert Geek Link" pulldown. I hypothesis it's because there are so many games with "Box" in the title, and there is some limit to how long that pulldown list can be.

Another example where it would be good and useful to return an exact match on your search term first in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
Indeed it does not seem to show up as a candidate in the "Insert Geek Link" pulldown. I hypothesis it's because there are so many games with "Box" in the title, and there is some limit to how long that pulldown list can be.

My recollection is that this is a longstanding bug. I think the workaround is to search from a new tab, find and copy the game ID (195455), and paste that into the field for adding a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Aha, I see it, id = 195455

BOX

Another example where it would be good and useful to return an exact match on your search term first in the list.

I tried inserting the game id into the title box for creating a geeklist item and it did not except that as an option. Nice that you can use the id to insert a geek link. Still a problem for the geeklist I was working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
I tried inserting the game id into the title box for creating a geeklist item and it did not except that as an option. Nice that you can use the id to insert a geek link. Still a problem for the geeklist I was working on.

Geeklist items accept a game id for me. Perhaps you accidentally mistyped or miscopied the id?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
niledesign wrote:

Geeklist items accept a game id for me. Perhaps you accidentally mistyped or miscopied the id?

Well now I truly do think it was a bug!! I tried entering the game ID for the third time and this time it was accepted. So weird. Relieved to have the problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.