GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Clash of Giants: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Howard (SCM) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Howard SCM (5.1) says that it can substitute for "any" drawn Union CM on Turns 2-3 (and is then removed), but Howard has the symbol of the IX Corps on his counter.

So Howard could substitute for I Corps (or even Buford), not just IX Corps, while still adding +1 to their movement roll?

In other words, if the rule is correct, I don't understand why Howard would have a specific Corps symbol on his counter when he can substitute for any formation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marjoram
United States
Harbor City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't noticed that. Only Ted can really clarify the intent, but my (somewhat dim) recollection is that we played the rules "as written" during playtesting. The same thing occurs with Howard, and again I believe we played the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The same applies to Hancock (Turn 4) who has the II Corps symbol on his counter yet he can affect "any" Union.

It's important because things are really touch-and-go at the start of the battle.

Think I'll play the "any" formation (rules as written), but the +1 DRM bonus only applies to the formation which matches the SCM (if chosen); that way there's both flexibility and history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a typo to boot. Howard had command of XI Corps at Gettysburg. At the time, the IX Corps was at Vicksburg with Grant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellsworth
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
Howard and Hancock can indeed be used in place of any Union CM. These men arrived prior to Meade on the battlefield, and each became temporary head of all Union units in the area until the arrival of the actual commander. Each was a corps commander in his own right, but had the authority to direct other units before the arrival of Meade.

When used this way, they add one to the movement roll and permit an extra combat action for the affected Formation only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John (I enjoyed your article in the Battle Book, too!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.