GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Solo Team Build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Sieving
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm going to play through the game solo and am bouncing back and forth on whether I should play as a team of 2 or 3. What are the benefits of playing as a duo besides quicker scenarios. Do you level up faster? Also, what solo team composition are you guys using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Stringfellow
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always add another character later, so I would start with 2.

I have been playing through a second campaign with brute scoundrel atm which is strong, winning pretty well on very hard + solo bump. I think spellweaver scoundrel is the only combo I would avoid, but any 3p combo is fine.

Just pick who you like the look of. Your 'perfect' team falls apart when you retire characters anyway. Adjusting your play based on the team composition is half the fun of the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three will allow you to unlock more characters faster. Two will allow you to get more attached to your characters. Other than that, both are very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try searching the forums here as there are a few threads on this already. but long story short: start with 2, add a 3rd later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Go four if you have the table space for it. They are pretty easy to manage. I went with Brute, Scoundrel, and Mind thief. The synergy between the three is just ok. Scoundrel and Brute have pretty high damage so it doesn't matter to much that they do not have a ton of combo's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
stringthis wrote:

I have been playing through a second campaign with brute scoundrel atm which is strong, winning pretty well on very hard + solo bump. I think spellweaver scoundrel is the only combo I would avoid, but any 3p combo is fine.

This is interesting. I am trying to play with the same heroes (brute+scoundrel), but I loose almost all the time. As a result enemies level up and I am falling behind more and more. Scoundrel is pretty strong, but brute is effective only in soaking damage. The enemies regenerate too quickly so I am hardly able to kill them. After the characters leveled to 2 I am able to kill about half of the enemies I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
stringthis wrote:

This is interesting. I am trying to play with the same heroes (brute+scoundrel), but I loose almost all the time. As a result enemies level up and I am falling behind more and more. Scoundrel is pretty strong, but brute is effective only in soaking damage. The enemies regenerate too quickly so I am hardly able to kill them. After the characters leveled to 2 I am able to kill about half of the enemies I need.

This sounds very odd to me - most enemies don't heal very much, and I played brute/mind thief in the KS campaign, and the brute could dish out a ton of damage! Enemies level up? You don't switch to level 2 enemies until you hit level 3, and if you're finding them tough, knock them down a level, play on easy for a few missions until you get the brute worked out, then raise the difficulty back up.

I wonder if you need to look at one of the "common mistakes" threads, and check if you're playing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The enemies have level three as long as you play solo and the average level of your characters is 2 (normal difficulty). Which is my case. I was trying to beat Inox Encampment mission four times and the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
shamans did a ton of healing. In my last game it was a series of three heal 3 in a row

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
The enemies have level three as long as you play solo and the average level of your characters is 2 (normal difficulty). Which is my case. I was trying to beat Inox Encampment mission four times and the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
shamans did a ton of healing. In my last game it was a series of three heal 3 in a row

If both your characters are level 2, the average is 2, halved is 1, plus 1 for monsters and traps for solo bump, is 2 for normal...

Apart from the fact that you're playing on hard mode, I'm not convinced that the solo bump is really necessary for two characters - knowing exactly when the two characters are acting relative to each other is a very tiny advantage over saying "going early/middle/late", especially when one character has almost all mid cards and the other has almost all very early or very late cards...

If you're enjoying the challenge, then you should of course carry on, but if you intend to play on normal, you should be facing level 2 monsters, and I don't think there are many people who would think any less of you if you dropped the solo bump, at least until the brute clicks for you. I played with solo bump throughout the KS campaign, and upped to hard for some of the later scenarios, but I'm not sure whether I'd bother with the solo bump in the main campaign - I felt like I'd done enough to earn those extra rewards (apart from anything else, I didn't deliberately match numbers on the rare occasions when it really made a difference, so I wasn't taking full advantage of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for pointing to the problem. I forgot to divide it by two. I just calculated the average level of the party and set it as the scenario level.

IMO it is worth switching to higher difficulty later when the characters have some customization and equipment, but on the very early levels it is quite hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.