GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,090 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Having your Ship Raided rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about being Raided (which is probably a stupid question, but here goes):

My defending flagship has 5 Hull, 3 Raid and 4 Sail. I have one "At War With" token from my attacker (which doesn't seem to matter on ship defense?). My attacker rolls 13 dice, and has five successes. He can apply these successes to steal cargo and/or apply damage as long as can match each with an Emnity Token.

My stupid question is: There's not a single thing I can do about this, as a defender, is there?

There seems to be a built-in incentive for the Raid-heavy players to just pick off the Explore-heavy players and no way to defend against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From his Raid dice pool, he should be subtracting the "At War" enmity AND ANY OTHER enmity you have of his on the board, and the "Garrison" which you'd likely choose to be the Sail of 4, plus 1 if you have a support ship (2 if it's Nimble), 1 if the raid is in your territory.

So assuming that with his Raid + his support + advisors - all of your defenses is 5 successes, then yes, he can apply those any way he likes to steal or damage your chosen flagship only so long as he did not sink (due to your hold being higher than the number of successes rolled). If you have valuable cargo aboard, it's often wise to keep your ships together, because you can choose the other to be the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Your token of his in your At War With section reduces his dice pool by one. Any enmity of his that you hold reduce his dice in raids against you anywhere (your province, your ships, your other things).

As a defender, here are the things you can do:

Increase your Raid or Sail, because that is the garrison (he should be removing dice based on the defending ship's Raid or Sail value, defender's choice)

Increase your Hold further, because that is the defense. If he rolls five successes and your hold is 7 (with an upgrade) then he takes two damage in the raid.

Keep your ships together. Having a support ship while defending will reduce dice in the Raid dice pool by one.

Keep your ships in regions you control. (At the beginning of the campaign, that's just your home province, which is not really a great place to stay.) If you're in a region you control, you reduce raids against your ships by one die.

Hold onto his enmity tokens. After the first raid where he gives you these five enmity tokens, he will lose five dice from his pool.

There is an incentive for Raid-heavy players to raid Explore- or Buy-heavy players, but in general they can only do it once per game per player, and only twice per game in total because of how enmity works.

Also, this is how things are right at this moment in the campaign. Things may be different later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if your ships are together you get to pick your defending flagship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear: we are 10 games into the campaign. From where I'm sitting, it seems like the players with the Veteran stickers have an advantage against other players when it comes to raiding.

There's not much you can do about a ship with a Raid of 7, before he adds a support ship, advisors, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:
There seems to be a built-in incentive for the Raid-heavy players to just pick off the Explore-heavy players and no way to defend against it.

If you're ten games in, then you should still feel like explore has the advantage.

Box 3

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sure, a raid-heavy player can take a relic off one of your ships (if you make the mistake of choosing your flagship as one with a relic on it), but that player can't take the enormous amounts of glory you got for finding it originally.

And still, it's not like there's "no way" to defend against it. Raid 'em back! Veteran stickers are a two-dice differential, which is big, but not insurmountable, especially considering you will now have their enmity tokens on your side, which add to raids. (Raids on ships send enmity directly to your At War With section, which decreases dice on raids against you anywhere and increases your dice on raids against that player.)

Just to go with the original example given, your attacker rolled 13 dice (side note: HOW? 7 base w/ Veteran + 1 support ship + 4 for both Deadly upgrades + X for advisor - at least 4 for sail/raid on defending ship and defending support ship means you have advisors with +5 raid and your raider is not leaving any permanent enmity OR you're not subtracting dice correctly) and hit five successes. That's five enmity tokens going straight into your At War With section, which will either subtract five dice from that raider's future raids this game, OR give you +5 dice on your raids against that player. Not only that, but if you don't hit 'em back, that means the raider only has three more tokens to spend for the rest of this game against anybody, including islands or to spend on colonies. They can get one good raid against you per game if you don't hit back, so you just keep on plundering those tombs and reaping the huge rewards without really worrying about the 1 glory the raider gets from raiding you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Raid 'em back!

Or don't raid em back, and smile when you've stockpiled enough permanent enmity from them to have a six die defensive bonus.

Those 13 attack dice can be down to 1 if you're fully defensive. (-6 through permanent, -5 through "garrison", -1 from the support ship). If you actually manage to have full defense on your flagship, as well, odds are more likely they'll sink themselves than successfully raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:
I have a question about being Raided (which is probably a stupid question, but here goes):

My defending flagship has 5 Hull, 3 Raid and 4 Sail. I have one "At War With" token from my attacker (which doesn't seem to matter on ship defense?). My attacker rolls 13 dice, and has five successes. He can apply these successes to steal cargo and/or apply damage as long as can match each with an Emnity Token.

My stupid question is: There's not a single thing I can do about this, as a defender, is there?

i'm one of the more raid heavy players in my campaign and i see no reason to attack other players' ships unless:

mild spoilers...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
a. there's a milestone for doing so
b. they have a relic i want to recover and have split their ships (this never happens) but it could and if it did i'd be opportunistic

there's just too many other things i could do with a good raid pool that are better in terms of generating glory i can:

raid a dock (2 vp)
explore a tomb and choose one that I think will use my raid pool
raid a mine

or i could explore which is probably better or sail and tax if i have a good advisor - potentially better if it sets up a really good next turn.

if you successfully raid a ship sure you can hurt that players game but at what cost? it's one glory to successfully raid someone and that's probably the only glory you are gaining that round - this means you are falling behind pace and you haven't done anything to help yourself for the next round - no money, no cards that help...

you've also just made it harder to ever raid that person again and it might matter down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.