GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Sword of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Summary of rules changes between 2004 first edition and latest version 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have first printing of this game and I downloaded the updated rules from the GMT site awhile back. Does anyone have a 'summary of changes' PDF, I like to go back and mark up my old rule book so when in break game out again months later and check rules, I'm not constantly checking between digital version and my hard copy. I love having a digital update but there is something I love able sitting down to play a game with a nice hard copy of the rules as well. If I were a richer man, I would simply buy the second edition :s

I found one recently for successors and it was really helpful when reconciling differences
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
I have first printing of this game and I downloaded the updated rules from the GMT site awhile back. Does anyone have a 'summary of changes' PDF, I like to go back and mark up my old rule book so when in break game out again months later and check rules, I'm not constantly checking between digital version and my hard copy. I love having a digital update but there is something I love able sitting down to play a game with a nice hard copy of the rules as well. If I were a richer man, I would simply buy the second edition :s

I found one recently for successors and it was really helpful when reconciling differences

I'm not aware of any summary, but why not just print out a copy of the pdf and staple it together?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, other than the new CRT ( the only change being a "1" doesn't inflict losses ) there were no actual rules changes , just clarifications. Some cards were changed - as in clarified. But overall its a very stable set of rules, esp for a card driven game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Off the top of my head, other than the new CRT ( the only change being a "1" doesn't inflict losses ) there were no actual rules changes , just clarifications. Some cards were changed - as in clarified. But overall its a very stable set of rules, esp for a card driven game.


Been a long time, but I am 99% sure Marty is right. The major (only?) change was the CRT. The rest of it was me learning to write rules for non-CDG gamers, the first set of rules had a few places where things were inferred, but not spelled out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Off the top of my head, other than the new CRT ( the only change being a "1" doesn't inflict losses ) there were no actual rules changes , just clarifications. Some cards were changed - as in clarified. But overall its a very stable set of rules, esp for a card driven game.


I see that now. I think I will blow up and print off the new CRT and laminate it to go over the ones in game player aids. May I ask or maybe Mr. Wray can chime in, what was the reason for the change in the combat results table ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some players felt that the "1" was a double whammy, in that it is rare to do so and win a combat ( though not impossible ). So to roll a 1 - or worse yet, multiple 1s - and not only take losses from your opponents winning dice, but your own dice as well was felt by some to be too extreme. I've seen a handful of occasions were the player rolled triple 1s - so assuming they lost the combat, they'd lose 3 CU from their own roll, plus whatever their opponent rolled as well.

Wray's developer , Brad Johnson, helped design the CRT so that overall, the results average about a 3:1 loss ratio of in favor of the winner.

It should be noted that the game was playtested with the original CRT.

The change doesn't favor any one particular side, it just makes combat results a little less "swingy".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: After the game was released, I did some more analysis on the math of the battle system. As you say, the 1 being "double-bad" was too swingy. I had some other proposals that were a little more interesting mathematically (e.g. if you roll a 6, you inflict a hit to both sides [because your troops "over-committed"?]), but Wray and I decided to not confuse the design overly-much when 2nd edition came out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Some players felt that the "1" was a double whammy, in that it is rare to do so and win a combat ( though not impossible ). So to roll a 1 - or worse yet, multiple 1s - and not only take losses from your opponents winning dice, but your own dice as well was felt by some to be too extreme. I've seen a handful of occasions were the player rolled triple 1s - so assuming they lost the combat, they'd lose 3 CU from their own roll, plus whatever their opponent rolled as well.

Wray's developer , Brad Johnson, helped design the CRT so that overall, the results average about a 3:1 loss ratio of in favor of the winner.

It should be noted that the game was playtested with the original CRT.

The change doesn't favor any one particular side, it just makes combat results a little less "swingy".

part of why i asked was an episode on either 7 questions or I've been diced that talked about the combat system (i'm pretty sure before re-print) and talked about how if you lost a battle with certain dice rolls it could basically wreck you completely. probably a good change although i'm not experienced enough to understand all the nuances yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
umrmeche wrote:
I have first printing of this game and I downloaded the updated rules from the GMT site awhile back. Does anyone have a 'summary of changes' PDF, I like to go back and mark up my old rule book so when in break game out again months later and check rules, I'm not constantly checking between digital version and my hard copy. I love having a digital update but there is something I love able sitting down to play a game with a nice hard copy of the rules as well. If I were a richer man, I would simply buy the second edition :s

I found one recently for successors and it was really helpful when reconciling differences

I'm not aware of any summary, but why not just print out a copy of the pdf and staple it together?

I printed out the current version and then highlight the changes from each revision in a different color. I don't think the original rulebook even comes out of the box anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.