GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities» Forums » Rules

Subject: CF Rewards in Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spicy Lobster
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
As I've read it on here on the boards CF Rewards won go right back into the pot if not used by the time the battle is over and can not be brought into the next round. The question that comes up for me is why is the boss rewarding 4 fame then? Isn't the round instantly over once the boss is defeated? EDIT - I just realized this is likely for CO-Op only.

Seems to me the whole point of getting the crowd behind you and unlocking the chips along with the arena unlocks is to be able to use them. Its strange that I unlocked this chip or gladiator by killing the boss and whipping the crowd into a frenzy and I don't ever get to use it. I would make more effort to get CF if it gave me an advantage next round.

I am only on round 2 of my second solo mission, so thought I would ask in case I should change my tactics.

Thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! In solo mode the 4 CF reward-points are unnecessary, you are right! But if you play 2 or 3 player coop you have to defeat 2 or 3 bosses.

In these playmodes, 4 points CF reward for killing a boss are very useful!

Enjoy this game! I really love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Sansom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been wondering the exact same thing. Assuming you kill all 8 Criminals/Beasts that's 16 points, plus dominating the centre in a single player co-op makes these later rewards almost unachievable given that your priority is to kill the boss. Hadn't considered the 2-3 player co-op, that does make sense, I'll have to solo one of those as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spicy Lobster
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Thank you Angelika! Makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll reply to OP with my opinion from soloing this game again after a little while.

I've ruled CF points are never reset. As a single city, now the game is more enjoyable and makes sense! Previously I barely ever got one tactic never mind ever seeing the gladiator. Now it seems to be possible to get to having the gladiator in round 3 just about when I need it. Much more tense and exciting than the slaughter in what I think the rules say to do (reset to 0 each round?!)

And definitely I get to keep the CF tactic. Gives the game more options which to me means more fun.

And wish the rulebook was super clear that each round the number of B/C is a max-on-board number. First game i played I kept deploying B/C every single turn... crazy slaughter.

Oh right, one more thing - I rule that your champion once active, starts active next rounds. Since most bosses have basically giant largos and death attacks... I also find that only fair (having a champion with 1 health inactive you may as well stop playing). Also to explain this, since CF is kept round to round in my variant (is it?) then it stands your champion should stay active. (So really I mean champion starts active iff you're past CF one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.