GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,657 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Home brew Scenario - Testing needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Pereira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I am yet to get a copy of Gloomhaven, but have backed it. In anticipation, I have been playing through the mini-campaign and have been working on this scenario. Obviously, I am unable to playtest it at the moment, so am looking for anyone who might be interested in giving it a go and leaving some feedback (beware potential monsters spoilers).

Particularly interested in monster difficulty balance and the balance of how difficult/easy it is to save villagers.

Also, some of my lore may be slightly messed up due to my limited experience with the game, so any feedback there would be great, too.

I will obviously playtest it myself when I get the game and intend to turn this into a series of scenarios in the future (time and feedback permitting).

Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv6ob5t5wlpaugt/Attack%20on%20Jale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'll try to give it a spin tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You've got a spurious pair of close then open quotes in the Introduction text (third column, second paragraph):
Quote:
“we don’t have much time.” I am Hnara, the chieftain’s wife. “The hunters went out

I haven't played this, and I don't have the set to hand (I don't know how tough wolves and imps are). So the rest is armchair quarterbacking. My apologies, and disregard me in the face of actual experience ;-)

Gear:
Players can't get their gear without getting past at least one of the monsters which start in the hut with them. The only one of those monsters which will move is the right-hand wolf (the imp and left-hand wolf will just chow on Hnara, or the top player, depending on initiative). So that means killing a monster before you can even open a path to the chest (assuming jump isn't available). Thus, either the first player kills one, and the second moves through them, and the gap, or, worse, the players kill one monster in the first round, and can't collect their loot until the end of the second round. I'd suggest (at least) moving the item chest down, so it can be reached without going through the mobs.

Doors:
Do the monsters outside the hut activate and start munching on the players before the relevant doors open? All these monsters can initially see villagers, but not the players, so I'd suspect the answer is "Yes!".

In which case, it might be worth just removing the doors, for clarity.
However, in such a case, I pity the two villagers in the top hut, who are going to be well chomped before the players get there. That might be the death limit with four players.
Alternatively, explicitly add a clarification that the monsters don't activate until their doors are opened (and an explanation as to why?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Pereira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good questions and questions show where things are unclear.

The board only is set up with monsters when doors are opened, so they aren't munching until you open the doors, otherwise this would not be a viable scenario. The rules of the game are that monster tokens are not placed on the board and active until doors are opened I believe?

The point is for characters to have to fight through the monsters to get to the chest. These are only items that are 'lost', not abilities. If the chest is easily accessible, it becomes a pointless addend to the scenario that simply wastes a movement action.

Thanks for the text pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matrim102 wrote:
The board only is set up with monsters when doors are opened, so they aren't munching until you open the doors, otherwise this would not be a viable scenario. The rules of the game are that monster tokens are not placed on the board and active until doors are opened I believe?

You're absolutely correct about the rules, but under normal circumstances, the monsters don't have anything to do until they see the players. So we don't know what they're doing behind the closed doors, and don't care (having a drink, mopping the floor, whatever ;-) as long as they are in their starting hexes when the door is opened. If the players are slow in opening the door, that just gives them a few more minutes in the shower before they have to be deployed.

In this case, I'd quite like to know why they're not eating the villagers. The simplest explanation I've got is: they are. They've eaten some of the villagers, and the ones that are visible when the doors are opened are merely the survivors. So if the players open the door slowly, then there used to be nine villagers, but one has been killed, leaving the eight tokens you've got marked. If the players are slow, then there used to be twelve villagers, and four have been killed, leaving (oh, my! how convenient!) eight to be saved.

Quote:
The point is for characters to have to fight through the monsters to get to the chest. These are only items that are 'lost', not abilities. If the chest is easily accessible, it becomes a pointless addend to the scenario that simply wastes a movement action.

Actually, I've realised it's also affected by the active monsters question. If the monsters in the rest of the village are inactive, there's less urgency to get the items and out of the first hut. Card availability is obviously still an issue, but there's no need to rush out before the villagers become supper (and thus being unarmed in the hurry).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Pereira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
In this case, I'd quite like to know why they're not eating the villagers.

A fair point and a good suggestion. I will add a '1' to the first door so that when they enter the second area, some text will explain the situation they see before them. That should help to keep the scenario believable. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.