GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

MBT (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best technical reference book on tanks in MBT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for some books similar to the ones I have on battleships. Lots of detailed drawings, technical data, etc.

I looked real quick on Amazon and nothing stuck out to my untrained eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did pick up some of the Osprey series books by Zaloga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Sola Ramos
Spain
Pilar de la Horadada
Alicante
flag msg tools
The Panzer Pusher gives you prestige!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This site has a lot of very useful information about the Leopard 2, T-72, Abrams and Leclerc:

http://www.kampfpanzer.de/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Flashpoint Campaign guys (PC game) recommended this...

Jane's Armour and Artillery, 1990-91, I will know more when it arrives.

$40 delivered used, $100 or so new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone passed along this website to me...

Just getting started but so far it looks really interesting. Lots of excellent pictures of the equipment.

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/p/home.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Waugh

Texas
msg tools
The BEST sources would be:
1) Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army by David C. Isby (1988 version is updated version and also includes Soviet lessons and tactics in Afghanistan)
2) Armies of Nato's Central Front by David C. Isby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaevor2000 wrote:
1) Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army by David C. Isby (1988 version is updated version and also includes Soviet lessons and tactics in Afghanistan)

Thanks for posting these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Waugh

Texas
msg tools
ctcharger wrote:
zaevor2000 wrote:

Thanks for posting these!

You are very welcome!

They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. I will not part with mine...

Look them up in Amazon.

A lot of us veterans consider them to be the very best one volume treatments of the opposing sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Waugh

Texas
msg tools
One nitpick for me though is that I was stationed with E Trp, 2/2 ACR from Sept 85 to Mar 88 and NEVER ONCE saw a camouflaged M1 or Bradley...they were all painted Forest Green.

I heard a rumor that Green was the only color that would stand up to the chemical decontamination at the time...Black and Brown would fade too easily I believe...so they just stuck with Forest Green overall.

It would be interesting to hear what others have heard.

All I know is that the M60s and M113s were painted in modified MERDC (minus the sand color). The M88s, M109s, and M106s (aka four deuces) the same as well (modified MERDC).

All the M1s and Bradleys I ever saw in my unit or in other units were Forest Green overall (at least until mud got splattered all over everything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
mb
You're talking about the 105mm M1's were in plain green.
The 120mm M1A1's were in NATO 3-color, and yes that camo was painted with chemical resistant CARC paint.
But it is a good question why the 105mm M1's weren't in MERDC or NATO 3-color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
Try this... it's good!

Panzer Tactics : German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II
By author: Schneider

Ultimate inside view of the blitzkrieg in World War II Diagrams, maps, and schematics illustrate key principles. Hundreds of rare photos show Panzers and crews in action. Wolfgang Schneider has written the definitive account of German small-unit armor tactics. Using period training manuals, after-action reports, countless interviews with Panzer veterans, and his own experiences as an armor commander in the modern German Army, Schneider describes World War II Panzer tactics, coupling his narrative with scores of illustrations that highlight armor concepts. Schneider covers the major types of small-unit operational art-offensive and defensive-and also discusses road marches, reconnaissance, command and control, working with other arms of service, life in a tank, armor training, gunnery, and the future of armor. The book provides useful insight into armor tactics for both the layman and the armor enthusiast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.