GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: In your gaming group, are YOU the "Librarian" (game owner) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My circle of gaming friends is far and wide and so I am NOT the sole "Librarian" for games though when I host I provide most of the games to be played but also ask others to bring games, too.

In my family, I am the board game weirdo with all the weird games though I have to say most have warmed up to the idea that board gaming is a "hobby" thanks to me playing my games with them. My step-son and soon to be step-son-in-law have small collections now (I'm a proud step-parent).

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Although we also, more often than not game at mine, so it's inevitable. None of my group regulars even have their collection on BGG. Although I seem to have generally memorised all games owned by people in my group blush

I do always, however, try and encourage everyone in the group to bring games.As not only does it increase the variety, it also gives me the occasional break from teaching games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. By far. While I introduced board games to my friend from my hometown, they happened to grow a bigger collection than mine.

Then I moved to the capital of Mexico, and i sold my games because I could not find anyone to play with.

Now I have a regular gaming group, but I usually leech of their games, I usually try to buy snacks, thou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, but that's mostly because the people I try to play games with, are non-gamers.

I have gotten one friend to start his one library already, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely am. I am also the games teacher, the rules knight and the record keeper. I love this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Most of the people I game with have decent collections. It's not unusual for everyone to bring a bag of games with them to game day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Yep. Although we also, more often than not game at mine, so it's inevitable. None of my group regulars even have their collection on BGG. Although I seem to have generally memorised all games owned by people in my group blush

I do always, however, try and encourage everyone in the group to bring games.As not only does it increase the variety, it also gives me the occasional break from teaching games

So much this. I'm not actually the guy who brought gaming to my friends, but I am the one who organizes the group, teaches the games and buys the most. I absolutely have a catalog of the games owned by each member of our group in my head. And yes, when my friends teach a game, that is the best thing ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Nope. Most of the people I game with have decent collections. It's not unusual for everyone to bring a bag of games with them to game day.

Yep this is my situation too And we meet in a well stocked Board Game Cafe!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With my measly 70-odd games (plus expansions) I am nowhere near being the librarian in my group. But other than the four people who've been collecting for a lot longer than me, I'm way out in front of the non-librarians

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's me.

Pete (doesn't let people check out library property, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Everyone in the group has a sizable collection, and our usual meeting place is at
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's house. His collection is much bigger than everyone else's. We all tend to bring bags of games with us as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
I definitely am. I am also the games teacher, the rules knight and the record keeper. I love this hobby.

This was so perfectly stated, and represented my own situation in such exact detail, that I'm quoting it instead of posting my own. Yep, me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I'm the only owner in our group. Some of the group own games that I also own (Catan, Fluxx etc.) but because we normally play at my house, we just use my copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, but I'm the one with the biggest collection by a long shot.

Ironically, I have trouble getting my games played, since others bring their novelties all the time.

It's an embarrassment of riches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for an actual librarian to respond. Someone on BGG has to be in that profession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rich
United States
Creedmoor
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
None of us really own that many more games than each other, so there are many shares, swaps, and loans. It works, for us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I defiantly own/house the lions share of games (300+) but my group has their 100+ collection they bring stuff up from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
Lorthania wrote:

This was so perfectly stated, and represented my own situation in such exact detail, that I'm quoting it instead of posting my own. Yep, me too!

Yep, same here! It's pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully no. I have the most games in both my groups, but I'm not the sole provider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sooo the librarian. I have been collecting games for mumble mumble mumble years and have over 500 of them. But that is ok, it always makes for a fresh game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
I'm waiting for an actual librarian to respond. Someone on BGG has to be in that profession.

Okay, that's me. So I'm both a literal librarian and the figurative "librarian" for a game group. But I also play regularly at a game store where I'm a relative newbie to most others there. Strangely, while it bugs the s#!t out of me at work when things are out of order (mostly because it wastes the library users' time while I hunt), my game collection is completely disorganized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
godurmyall wrote:
Lorthania wrote:

Yep, same here! It's pretty great.

Me too! (Or, more accurately, me four!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our Pandemic Legacy group I'm the host, librarian and the cook too. But the others bring side dishes and beer/wine. Next time one of the other guys is going bring the salmon, eel and yellow fin, and we're going to have a sushi night.

For my regular group I'm the Librarian, but we share hosting duties.

Just started showing up at a Tuesday night group and everyone brings a bag of games. One guy has over 2000 games, so many times I get to try the latest greatest. Last night it was the KS version of Yokohama (2 thumbs up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
jdaly72 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Okay, that's me. So I'm both a literal librarian and the figurative "librarian" for a game group. But I also play regularly at a game store where I'm a relative newbie to most others there. Strangely, while it bugs the s#!t out of me at work when things are out of order (mostly because it wastes the library users' time while I hunt), my game collection is completely disorganized.

And me too. My game group is pretty much just me and my wife so yes I'm the one that finds the games, buys the games, teaches the games, etc. Kind of similar to Jason, my board game collection isn't particular organized in any way, only that the games that we play most often are in the TV cabinet ten feet from the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got to wondering....before anyone became the librarian, were you part of a group where YOU were the leech um, I mean person with little to no games?

Me? Nope, when I caught the board game bug I bought lots of game right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.