GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are the accepted wbc optional rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to Google this a couple different ways but I keep getting the world baseball championship series.

It will be a little while before I am good enough to even want to play on the ladder, but I see from ACTS, there is a pretty good BPA series of games. What is the standard for the optional rules? For instance do you use any of the alternate commander versions? What about killed cavalry generals, replace with same or use replacement version. I would like to start playing with whatever the rules are for if and when I start playing competitively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
I tried to Google this a couple different ways but I keep getting the world baseball championship series.

It will be a little while before I am good enough to even want to play on the ladder, but I see from ACTS, there is a pretty good BPA series of games. What is the standard for the optional rules? For instance do you use any of the alternate commander versions? What about killed cavalry generals, replace with same or use replacement version. I would like to start playing with whatever the rules are for if and when I start playing competitively

Last time I ran it we used all of the optional rules, not sure what the current standard.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
umrmeche wrote:

Last time I ran it we used all of the optional rules, not sure what the current standard.

Mark

So the McClellan variant, Van Dorn as cavalry, Sheridan and Forrest have 2 SP cavalry brigades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
umrmeche wrote:

Mark

So the McClellan variant, Van Dorn as cavalry, Sheridan and Forrest have 2 SP cavalry brigades

When I was running it, yes. All means all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
umrmeche wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
umrmeche wrote:

Mark

When I was running it, yes. All means all.

silly question. apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Hintikka
msg tools
Hope I'm not just asking same thing over and over again but I just want to be sure, apologies. Do you also use Railroad Logistics variant in tournaments?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juggernautti wrote:
Hope I'm not just asking same thing over and over again but I just want to be sure, apologies. Do you also use Railroad Logistics variant in tournaments?

Cheers!

It did not exist when I was running the tournament but I would use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:

Jonathan, the site is at boardgamers.org.

Here's a link to the 2016 preview and report:

http://www.boardgamers.org/previews16/ftp.html

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook16/ftp.html

The preview includes a link to the rules used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juggernautti wrote:

Cheers!

Should we use the RR? It seems fair rather than an army being able to vacuum to themselves all SP's from anywhere on the map so long as you can link LOC. That means an army in middle of rural MO can take in a unit from all the way in the eastern theatre by combining rail and road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
umrmeche wrote:

Jonathan, the site is at boardgamers.org.

Here's a link to the 2016 preview and report:

http://www.boardgamers.org/previews16/ftp.html

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook16/ftp.html

The preview includes a link to the rules used.

Thank you for this...but nobody will explain to me in my post about how it is that one can cut off Union's LOC in DC by simply taking the rail spaces.
are they just leaving something out of that recap in the yearbook 16 article? He says he cut off USA rails to capital which is fairly easy to do as there are just 2 rail spaces going north from DC. But that would cut supply unless you also took Annapolis and built ft/ironclad on Acquia Creek right?

Was the purpose of this supply move simply to cut off the RR only (not LOC) so that Washington received 4 SP instead of 8? If so, then everything makes sense but nobody will answer my question if washington can trace via port to another port and then trace RR off north map edge in order to get full 8 SPs. A clarification would be most helpful!

thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask your question here, Jonathan:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.ee6c9ab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

nobody on BGG can answer? i figured this was a simple question since multiple players have posted over the years on different forums about ways to cut off DC. i don't have a CSW account but I guess I could create one and post this question (if i join CSW, i'm afraid there goes the rest of me having a life outside work/gaming/family :D)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice, you'll eventually get an answer on BGG but you'll get one faster on CSW. I'm making no judgement on whether that's how it should be, but that's how it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not trying to be snarky here, but there is no one on BGG whose job it is to answer questions like this. People who love the game do it voluntarily. The same is true on CSW, but there are two things in your favor there.

First, the CSW For the People forum is much more thickly populated with the kind of people who are likely to give a useful answer. And secondly, the CSW forum has one person who has taken on the role of official rules question answerer. So waiting for a response is like sitting in your blind and waiting for a deer to walk by, but your chances are better in Maine than in Manhattan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I am not trying to be snarky here, but there is no one on BGG whose job it is to answer questions like this. People who love the game do it voluntarily. The same is true on CSW, but there are two things in your favor there.

First, the CSW For the People forum is much more thickly populated with the kind of people who are likely to give a useful answer. And secondly, the CSW forum has one person who has taken on the role of official rules question answerer. So waiting for a response is like sitting in your blind and waiting for a deer to walk by, but your chances are better in Maine than in Manhattan.

i understand...i just saw multiple people comment on first question and not the follow up so i was wondering why. i am very grateful to everyone who helps answer questions and try to do my part once i master games myself but adding another forum to my roster isn't very appetizing with how much time gaming already takes. wish i had more time in a day ya know.

guess i just need to be more patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

nobody on BGG can answer? i figured this was a simple question since multiple players have posted over the years on different forums about ways to cut off DC. i don't have a CSW account but I guess I could create one and post this question (if i join CSW, i'm afraid there goes the rest of me having a life outside work/gaming/family )

What beyond blocking the Potomac and cutting the rail lines are you asking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
umrmeche wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

nobody on BGG can answer? i figured this was a simple question since multiple players have posted over the years on different forums about ways to cut off DC. i don't have a CSW account but I guess I could create one and post this question (if i join CSW, i'm afraid there goes the rest of me having a life outside work/gaming/family :D)

What beyond blocking the Potomac and cutting the rail lines are you asking?

I did finally get my answer. I just wanted clarification on if it was possible for the DC location to be both in supply but also not qualified to receive reinforcements during reinforcements phase at the same time. The reason I want to clarification was because I didn't know if you could trace straight from DC port to another Port and then run rails off northern edge thus skipping any road connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Buehler
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused about this too, and found contradictory answers between the tourney and the e-mail tourney, so I emailed the GM (James Pei). RR Logistics is *not* used at WBC. The language on the event preview that says "all optional rules" was apparently left over from before RR Logistics existed as an optional rule, when in fact RR Logistics is explicitly not used in the play-by-email event and apparently not at WBC either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbuehler wrote:
I was confused about this too, and found contradictory answers between the tourney and the e-mail tourney, so I emailed the GM (James Pei). RR Logistics is *not* used at WBC. The language on the event preview that says "all optional rules" was apparently left over from before RR Logistics existed as an optional rule, when in fact RR Logistics is explicitly not used in the play-by-email event and apparently not at WBC either.

thanks for following up on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason why is it not used? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.