GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,024 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Caution... Blasting Ahead - Encounter #29 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael G
msg tools
Don't read ahead if you don't want spoilers on this encounter...

Hey guys, I might be just tired but can someone run a set of eyes over this.

For each gearlock in your party, for now just 2, place 2 stacks of 3hp.
each gearlock rolls 2 attack dice and gets 1/2 blast damage rounded down.

this encounter seems like it would be way less than a 2% chance to complete no matter which way I look at it?

you have to in your two rolls, roll a perfect hit of 4 dmg on the second roll and the first roll being a 2dmg roll. of course you could place them in a different orientation but then its not possible at all. I feel like I must be missing something here. If I'm correct, there is zero strategy and 100% luck leaving you needed to roll the perfect roll both times.

1st roll. 2dmg

second roll 4dmg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Plude
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had that encounter last night. I thought the card said that you do full damage to the targeted area PLUS half damage to orthogonally adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael G
msg tools
jjplude wrote:
We had that encounter last night. I thought the card said that you do full damage to the targeted area PLUS half damage to orthogonally adjacent.

Yup, this is correct. So if you do 3 dmg to the first one, it destroys it, doing only 1 damage to each one around it, because it is rounded down. So if you hit the common stack, its now destroyed and each one adjacent gets 1 dmg. So there is now no way to destroy the rest.

so you would have to roll 2 dmg first try and then 4 dmg second try

2 dmg first try gets 1 dmg on all adjacent. then the 4 dmg the second try is what you would need to finish them all off.

You need that very specific and perfect roll to win as far as I can see. I hope that makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't played it myself, but doesn't each gearloc get 2 turns rolling 2 dice? 4 rolls total for 2 gearlocs? And does it specify how they are laid out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael G
msg tools
CarcuS wrote:
Haven't played it myself, but doesn't each gearloc get 2 turns rolling 2 dice? 4 rolls total for 2 gearlocs? And does it specify how they are laid out?

Ah, it may just have been a fatigue thing this morning and I got stuck and couldn't read it with any other perspective, I think you might be right.

"Place Gearlocs in range positions where they remain at a safe distance from the rubble. Each earlock has 2 Throwing Explosives.

Throwing explosives: Target any position and roll 2 ask Dice. Result does that much DMG (round down) to all adjacent positions."

So each Gearlock gets 2 throwing explosives and each throwing explosive gets two attack dice.

I knew I HAD to be misreading something. Appreciate the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each Gearloc has 2 Throwing Explosives.

Throwing Explosives: Target any position and roll 2 Atk dice."

So... each Gearloc gets two attempts of rolling 2 Atk dice. I think you just made it a little hard on yourself

And yes, you can lay it out however you'd like.

ETA: ninja'd by the OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael G
msg tools
brighterthanthesun wrote:
"Each Gearloc has 2 Throwing Explosives.

Throwing Explosives: Target any position and roll 2 Atk dice."

So... each Gearloc gets two attempts of rolling 2 Atk dice. I think you just made it a little hard on yourself

And yes, you can lay it out however you'd like.

ETA: ninja'd by the OP!

Haha! Honestly... this is what happens when you roll out of bed and the first thing you do in the morning even before coffee is play TMB... Help... I need help! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
I saw someone play this encounter live on Twitter and they too did the same thing as the op. I would've done the same thing had I not read this 1st.

I mean 2 explosives could easily be interpreted as the 2 die it tells you to roll.

With my experience with Hoplomachus (vague interpretations at times) and looking at how the op did the statistical chance of success (being such low odds) it's reasonable to think maybe they meant throw 2 dice 2 times, each device being 2 die, but the way it's worded it's not reasonable to assume that at first guess, which is why we have this post.

I love the game immensely but couldn't they simply test this with a few outside people to see if they interpret it correctly? Was there play testing involved? There are so many encounters that just a few more "words" could rule out so many of these questions. Frustrating.

One day I'll set the game down for a long time, then bring it out again. Will I remember half these fidgety rule adjustments? I haven't played Hoplomachus Origins because it's the same way, a bunch of little questions on word phrases or interpretations of what happens when one skill meets up against another. I wonder if this will keep me from bringing this game out down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Gaudino
msg tools
MarkUCLA wrote:
I saw someone play this encounter live on Twitter and they too did the same thing as the op. I would've done the same thing had I not read this 1st.

I mean 2 explosives could easily be interpreted as the 2 die it tells you to roll.

With my experience with Hoplomachus (vague interpretations at times) and looking at how the op did the statistical chance of success (being such low odds) it's reasonable to think maybe they meant throw 2 dice 2 times, each device being 2 die, but the way it's worded it's not reasonable to assume that at first guess, which is why we have this post.

I love the game immensely but couldn't they simply test this with a few outside people to see if they interpret it correctly? Was there play testing involved? There are so many encounters that just a few more "words" could rule out so many of these questions. Frustrating.

One day I'll set the game down for a long time, then bring it out again. Will I remember half these fidgety rule adjustments? I haven't played Hoplomachus Origins because it's the same way, a bunch of little questions on word phrases or interpretations of what happens when one skill meets up against another. I wonder if this will keep me from bringing this game out down the line.

I had this encounter tonight (my first game! Epic!) and I had zero issue comprehending the card. The game isn't fiddly, it just involves simple reading comprehension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.