GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: Second news articles - Describing setup and first phases of turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
platypus
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
With spoilers!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/craftin...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More AGOT Lite in Rokugan?!

Yes - I'm reading the article and the mix and match with AGOT2 is just bonkers. And a splash of A:NR too!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good sign they are applying lessons learned in their other games into this one though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I read about the Fate mechanic the more I like it. Also I'm happy that extra copies of characters can be discarded to add more Fate tokens when you play a character. Makes having the maximum copies of a unique character you want to field more worth wild. I Can Swim clearly shows example of character removal. I like that it takes a specific strategy to pull off.

I'm not sure that I like that their is no hand limit for Conflict cards. That feels like they are opening themselves up to abuse.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
It is a good sign they are applying lessons learned in their other games into this one though.


You mean, recycling?!

Well, dunno about you but I was expecting more L5R and less AGOT2 with Samurai... if they (FFG, Nate French team) use the same template over any new game they release, those games will cannibalize not mentioning also revealing a limited vision of design, which apparently the team only knows how to design a game within the "template".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
That scripty font for names is going to get old fast.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Also I'm happy that extra copies of characters can be discarded to add more Fate tokens when you play a character.


I noted that too. Clever touch.

Plus, is that The City of Lies itself?? Oh my...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
That scripty font for names is going to get old fast.


It certainly seems clearer on some cards than on others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Already I'm getting more excited for this. Cards like I Can Swim are so interesting and make me like the bidding mechanic all the more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricard Lopez
Spain
Carcaixent
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me this article has given me the opposite perception. At the beginning I saw more resemblance to AgoT than now. It is obvious that some mechanics are imported from AgoT, but I think you're missing important elements such as the previewed cards. The ability of the Phoenix personality reminds me very much of old L5R abilities (ever heard of ranged attacks?). Additionally, holdings seem to have changed to fortifications, which was one of the least employed card types of old L5R. Now they seem much more useful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ricard, this does not sound at all like a port of AgoT2E. And I like a lot of what we are seeing.

Having the personages come out of the Dynasty Deck while equipment and the like emerge from the Conflict Deck both is thematic and makes the honor bidding to draw from the Conflict Deck make more thematic sense. I also like how this means you don't know what Characters are available as you don't hold them in your hand.

This is sounding better with each preview.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Having the personages come out of the Dynasty Deck while equipment and the like emerge from the Conflict Deck...


There are characters in the Conflict deck also.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Joelist wrote:
Having the personages come out of the Dynasty Deck while equipment and the like emerge from the Conflict Deck...


There are characters in the Conflict deck also.


It didn't sound like it in the article.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they stated if you can play a second copy of a unique character if the first copy has left play due to its fate counters running out? I didn't see a mention of uniqueness applying to the discard pile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"However, if a player has a second copy in one of their provinces or in their hand, they may discard that copy to add one fate to the unique copy in play."

So you can play a character from either your hand or from a province? I think we are missing a rules piece here because they only describe characters coming off a province.

I don't think they mentioned anything like the dead pile in AGOT so I don't think we have a definite answer on whether unique characters can only be played once per game. Though I'd think this article would have been a good place to bring it up if that was the case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Joelist wrote:
Having the personages come out of the Dynasty Deck while equipment and the like emerge from the Conflict Deck...


There are characters in the Conflict deck also.


It didn't sound like it in the article.


It's on the product-page (click "read more").
FFG wrote:
The second deck is your conflict deck, which has a mix of characters, attachments (including weapons, followers, equipment, and other conditions), and events.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Impy wrote:
Joelist wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Joelist wrote:
Having the personages come out of the Dynasty Deck while equipment and the like emerge from the Conflict Deck...


There are characters in the Conflict deck also.


It didn't sound like it in the article.


It's on the product-page (click "read more").
FFG wrote:
The second deck is your conflict deck, which has a mix of characters, attachments (including weapons, followers, equipment, and other conditions), and events.


Looks like we have a typo somewhere on the page because other pages do not say "characters" for the Conflict Deck:

This:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-...

Says:

Each player commands their forces with two separate decks: A Dynasty Deck fills their provinces with characters and holdings and a Conflict Deck consisting of tactics, maneuvers, followers and attachments that can be used to turn the tide in a struggle for supremacy.

And This:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/craftin...

Says:

Then, a card from the dynasty deck is placed face down on each non-stronghold province. These cards will represent the impressive characters and valuable resources that will be essential to your clan's victory.

- and -

Next, four conflict cards are drawn from the conflict deck. These cards represent your clan's tactics, equipment, and schemes that will give them the edge in conflict.

So far, the only place saying Characters are in the Conflict deck is that front page blurb. Both articles say otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be cool if some characters were in the Conflict deck. Playing them would be representative of an ambush, etc.

Characters found in the Conflict deck would have many restrictions, I'm sure, to balance out the surprise-factor. They probably won't have amazing stats, and maybe you won't be able to put any Fate on them, etc.

Would be interesting at the least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Would be cool if some characters were in the Conflict deck. Playing them would be representative of an ambush, etc.

Characters found in the Conflict deck would have many restrictions, I'm sure, to balance out the surprise-factor. They probably won't have amazing stats, and maybe you won't be able to put any Fate on them, etc.

Would be interesting at the least.


I would rather have no characters in the Conflict deck because it keeps things mechanically consistent - the minute you put a Character in the Conflict deck you open the doors to all sorts of rules questions.

What you are suggesting may be what "followers" are - we have not yet seen a sample card of one yet but what if they are "generic" cards like archers, cavalrymen, spearmen et al?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bachtold
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vengeful Oathkeeper is a character conflict card.
It can be seen in the second fan of cards on this page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I Can Swim might be the best L5R card ever printed. Scorpion dishonor was very difficult to represent during much of the AEG ownership. This card nails it perfectly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbachtold wrote:
Vengeful Oathkeeper is a character conflict card.
It can be seen in the second fan of cards on this page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the...


I see nothing there stating that the fanned cards are all Conflict cards or that that card is one. It is just a picture.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bachtold
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Joelist wrote:
mbachtold wrote:
Vengeful Oathkeeper is a character conflict card.
It can be seen in the second fan of cards on this page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the...


I see nothing there stating that the fanned cards are all Conflict cards or that that card is one. It is just a picture.


It has an influence cost, that means it is a conflict card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbachtold wrote:
Joelist wrote:
mbachtold wrote:
Vengeful Oathkeeper is a character conflict card.
It can be seen in the second fan of cards on this page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the...


I see nothing there stating that the fanned cards are all Conflict cards or that that card is one. It is just a picture.


It has an influence cost, that means it is a conflict card.
It also looks like it might say "...put this into play from your hand."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I see the two hashes now.

It still contradicts other text they printed for there to be characters in the Conflict deck. This is where it would be nice to have someone officially affiliated with the game to answer questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.