GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,016 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Is geekmod bad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I'm getting really sick of geekmod.

A few times now, I have put about an hour of work into taking a bunch of really nice looking none similar images, to have them be declined for the stupidest things.

I think it's because they give you more to decline so people just do it for any dumb reason, but all I know is I'm done trying to take images for it, because I've wasted like 3 hours of my time just trying to do this and always get declined.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Put them in your gallery and share them with us so we can judge if it was fair or not.

People get upset about being declined, but sometimes it is justified. How many more photos of Ticket to Ride trains on a map do we need?
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
How many more photos of Ticket to Ride trains on a map do we need?


It must be irritating for people who put a lot of effort into their photography - but I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. It's particularly tiresome when you're notified about these type of pictures for games you're subscribed to as well.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that you're feeling frustrated. The image guidelines ask that users not submit an image for each component (card) or similar images. The geekmodders were correct to decline these as individual components/similar images. These also have a bit of a glare.



















44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a "stupidest" thing, does it logically follow that this thing is "stupider" than something else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I under stand that they say no individual components, but, A. I saw someone else had a photo with an individual component.

And B. This isn't really just a individual component.

and these are the worst images I have taken yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to BGG Help and How-To.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one image that got declined, and they said because it was offensive.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
This is one image that got declined, and they said because it was offensive.



The reasons the geekmodders gave for that image decline (on April 8th) were

blurry, similar, crop, glare, offensive, irrelevant

(with some of those reasons duplicated between geekmodders). Offensive wasn't the only reason given, and could have even been a mis-click.

23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
What is your motivation for taking these images?

The one you posted with the pictures in front and person in the back I would have declined as well. There's glare in the front of the image and a blurry person in the background with an odd facial expression. If there were not other options to decline other than my opinion of this image really doesn't need to be in the game page, I'd pick something random like "offensive" or "similar" for a reason as well.

Take a look at the photography that's being submitted here on the geek and try to make sure your images are on-par or better. These don't make the cut, IMO.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
This is one image that got declined, and they said because it was offensive.

Is there any reason we needed this image? It's more about the guy in the photo than it is about the game. I can't see this image being of particular interest to anyone wanting to learn more about Puerto Rico. This is the type of thing you should post in your personal gallery.

As for the images that Indigo posted, you should group them in batches of five and resubmit them and they'll probably be accepted. But you should reposition the light so there's no glare. Also, if the purpose is to show the cards, there's no reason we need to see the box or other components in the background.

So yeah, all of these should have been declined.
35 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at any of the images in puerto rico? There is no reason for 90% of the images there.

Reasons are for Geekgold, and for putting your pictures that you think a good out on the web, also, the offensive was the main reason this was declined.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Have you looked at any of the images in puerto rico? There is no reason for 90% of the images there.
That sounds like a reason for more stringent geekmodding, not more lax.

EDIT:
Quote:
And B. This isn't really just a individual component.
Yes, but it looks to me like everything except the card is extraneous to the image.

As has already been suggested, why not group the cards together in the pictures? E.g. two 4 by 2 grids.

Quote:
Reasons are for Geekgold,
I'm not sure how much GG you get for uploaded pictures, but I'm sure there are more efficient ways to get it.

Quote:
and for putting your pictures that you think a good out on the web
That's what the personal gallery is for.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
offensive was the main reason this was declined.


Offensive wasn't the main reason it was declined. The percentages in the decline geekmail tell you which reasons have the most votes.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Reasons are for Geekgold, and for putting your pictures that you think a good out on the web.


You may think these pictures look good, but it's obvious that geekmoders do not agree. I maintain that you should work on your photography. First and foremost, make sure your pictures don't have glare!

Even of you're just doing it for Geekgold the photos should still be of sufficient quality.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Have you looked at any of the images in puerto rico? There is no reason for 90% of the images there.
The fact that people messed up in the past isn't a good reason to continue allowing people to mess up going forward.
40 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
Have you looked at any of the images in puerto rico? There is no reason for 90% of the images there.
The fact that people messed up in the past isn't a good reason to continue allowing people to mess up going forward.


Agreed. If anything it strongly suggests that GeekMods should be much stricter.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, although the images I'm talking about are the ones on the top, with over 100 likes.

Idk, all I'm saying is I feel like they should not give you more GG for declining on image, because people are way to quick to decline.

I could be wrong though.

Thanks all!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
The gg you get whether you decline or approve is nothing. I don't geekmod for geekgold, there's no profit in it. I do it for the fun of it and to support BGG.

I almost feel like there should be justification for why an image should be approved instead of reasons why not!
16 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
I agree, although the images I'm talking about are the ones on the top, with over 100 likes.

Idk, all I'm saying is I feel like they should not give you more GG for declining on image, because people are way to quick to decline.

I could be wrong though.

Thanks all!
Assuming people decline just to get more GG (like Dianne I disagree with this premise) then declining should definitely give more than approving. Otherwise the flood of pointless/bad images would get even worse than it already is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Idk, all I'm saying is I feel like they should not give you more GG for declining on image, because people are way to quick to decline.
Note that when Geekmod was overhauled, the rewards were switched to award more GG for approvals than for declines (see the "History" portion of the GeekMod page).

I tend toward a preference for quality over quantity, though I'm fairly lax when I'm actually in GeekMod. Just about anything in the review category is going to clear through for me, because thumbs will be an excellent second-wave filter of quality. Images, though -- I'm pretty brutal on things like glare and cropping, doubly so on games with an established gallery. I'd have declined every one of the images indigopotter posted, although I think there's some merit to the concept of the composition of the first one.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmb
lomn wrote:
Note that when Geekmod was overhauled, the rewards were switched to award more GG for approvals than for declines (see the "History" portion of the GeekMod page).


I'm pretty sure that part is inaccurate though, and you still get 0.01 for approvals and 0.05 for declinations. However, the balance would need to shift far more in favour of declines in order to make declining the rational choice for anyone looking to just game geekmod for GG. This is because a) approval is a one-click, no-moving-the-mouse operation, making it many times more time- and energy-efficient, and b) far more images are currently approved, and if you don't vote with the majority you get nothing anyway.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Have you looked at any of the images in puerto rico? There is no reason for 90% of the images there.

Many of the images for PR pre-date current, tighter GeekMod standards. The 90% of images you complain about are why GeekMod image rules were tightened.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the feedback!

I guess I'm just a little sore, 3, hours, wasted.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the battle against low expectations:

mb
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.