GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a solo round of GG’s Waterloo epic version and would say what an entertaining battle it is.

With six command cards per side and five tactics cards in each hand the battle got underway pretty quickly.

The French opened the battle with the Young Guard storming Papelotte supported by line infantry and Jacquinot’s cavalry. At the centre, the French artillery pounded away at the Allied lines to soften up the ridge for a planned frontal assault but only succeed in pushing Wellington’s forces behind the ridge with some minor damage to his artillery.

The Allied forces responded by developing the defences at Hougoumont while on the left, Dutch Belgian light infantry blasted away at the Young Guard, achieving moderate casualty rates.
Fighting continued around the area of Papelotte for the duration of the battle with the French pushing the Dutch Belgian defenders out temporarily. However, the French never actually took the farm but only managed to take the woodlands around it. A determined counter attack finally drove the battered French forces out of the area and a Grand Manoeuvre card was eventually used to transport most of the battered units to the cover of Plancenoit out of harm’s way and behind the protection of the French artillery.

While the fighting was going on around Papelotte the French used Grand battery rules to continue to soften up the Allied centre but despite the concentrated firepower achieved little. Meanwhile, spare orders were used to move the Old Guard and heavy cavalry forward to support D’Erlon’s line infantry preparing to move against the British centre.
At Hougoumont, not much happened as Jerome sat on his horse watching the Allies build up an irresistible force around the Chateau and realising there was no hope of taking it. As such, his negativity persuaded Reille to abandon the Chateau and move out with some light and line infantry to support Napoleon’s attack on the Allied centre.
By now the Prussians had started their long march towards Waterloo but they were still some way off and no threat to the French at this time. This was just as well since French forces over on the far right were becoming ever depleted in the struggle for Papelotte and the early arrival of the Prussians would have seen the disintegration the French right flank.

However, preparations for the frontal assault were going painfully slowly at the French centre until Napoleon found a bayonet charge card in his hand and a forced march card on the courier rack. A snap decision was made and the forced march card grabbed and utilised. French infantry streamed forward with the two Old Guard units following in close support, one unit within a two hex range of La Haye Sainte. Unfortunately, this impetuous infantry charge left behind the Guard heavy cavalry and the Ney’s Cuirassiers.

Wellington responded by putting his units back on top of the ridge now that the Grand battery had stopped firing just as D’Erlon launched his bayonet charge. The Old Guard, using the sapper card, nearly took La Haye Sainte but reduced the defenders to a shambles. The 95th Rifles were thrown out of the sandpit but escaped loss. Line infantry charged at Hill’s infantry standing by the woods of Hougoumont and did considerable damage to the British unit. The final ordered line infantry unit hit Perponcher’s infantry that was moving into the Papelotte area to finally secure the farm and stopped him in his tracks with moderate losses.

Heavy fighting took place around La Haye Sainte and casualties mounted on both sides. True to history, Wellington ordered up the British heavy cavalry and light cavalry using a cavalry charge command card and two break the square tactics cards. The French infantry took heavy losses as squares were broken and the horse charged onto other French units. French infantry leaders looked over their shoulders for the arrival of the French heavy cavalry to save the day but they were nowhere to be seen; left behind by Napoleon’s impulsive decision to charge with the infantry while the cavalry was still concentrating to provide support. However, with a battered centre, Wellington was also looking to the left to see where the Prussians had got to.
The Allied forces lost ground in the centre as the battle raged and the French heavy cavalry finally got into action. However, the Allied forces were now pushing both flanks and the British light infantry had left Hougoumont, moved into the nearby woodlands and from this shelter were pouring a murderous fire into the flanks of the French infantry; where Reille was killed.

By turn 14 the Prussians finally arrived but it was too late. They still had a number of hexes to travel before they could intervene in events and although the French were in danger of losing their flanks Napoleon had reached the Allied ridge with one of the Old Guard units and La Haye Sainte was in French hands. Picton led the last of the Guard Heavy Cavalry in A charge to force Napoleon into square but the Old Guard destroyed the final squadron of horse and Picton was killed. Other battered Allied units were in no condition to retake La Haye Sainte and even the much feared Guards Grenadiers were down to two blocks.

The battle was over and Napoleon would arrive in Brussels that evening.
A very enjoyable scenario GG, so a very deserved well done. I will try it out again and hopefully the Prussians will arrive in time to see whether they can influence an Allied victory.

The final result being 15 to 9 to the French. The 15 VP consisting of 13 units and 2 fro La Haye Sainte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. GG scenarios, in my book, are well worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TY very guys for this support and kind words!

Do not hesitate to give us back any other reports! We all know that when replayed, any CCN scenario is another story!

My hope is this scenario to be around 60% in favor of the allies for to be historical while staying playable!

Can' t wait to see you guys testing my Epic Berezina too ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My second trial of GG's Waterloo epic was just as exciting as the first trial.

There was more fighting around Hougoumont this time, The French kept pulling Assualt cards for this flank, either from hand or rack and Reille actually captured the buildings. Unfortunately, the British artillery shelled Reille's brigade to destruction and Reille was killed.

There was also plenty of fighting around Papelotte farm on the French left but again the French failed to take the building. At the end of the battle both French flanks were depleted and in retreat.

The assault on the Allied centre was slow to get going and the Prussians were in sight as they rapidly approached the field, this time. However, the much needed Forced March and Bayonet charge cards eventually appeared and the attack got under way. Delays in the attack had enabled plenty of French cavalry to concentrate on the French centre left and the French guns had moved forward and blasted Wellington's forced off the ridge leaving it clear for the advance. Although moving the French artillery forward into a grand battery helped the assault move forward unopposed from British musketry and artillery fire the French guns suffered greatly from the British cavalry charge which came racing over the ridge and the Guard Artillery and one foot brigade were totally destroyed. You see, there is always a price to pay. However, this allowed the infantry to take La Haye Sainte with ease and two, 'infantry combat first' cards held off the British cavalry when they finally turned their attention to the infantry after destroying much of the French artillery.

The assault was also helped by the presence of French cavalry, which forced two Allied units to square between La Haye Sainte and the Hougoumont woodlands. This enabled more French infantry to move forward without fear of taking intense British volley fire.

The Prussians finally turned up and an Assualt card meant that they got stuck into the battle right away. But, too little too late, more Forced March and Bayonet charge cards appeared in the French hand and the centre was overwhelmed, particularly with high casualty rates among the officers, including Wellington.

Final result: 18 to 12 for the French including 2 VP for La Haye Sainte. Another enjoyable battle and had the Prussians turned up a couple of turns earlier, well, who knows how it woud have turned out.

I must say that it is nice to see Wellington and Napoleon present on the field and not just mentioned in the scenario notes as the leader for the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice commentaries, David! Who is your opponent(s) for these games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Nice commentaries, David! Who is your opponent(s) for these games?

Hi Jon

I'm sorry to say that I solo these games. The small circle of gamers that I used to play with broke up some years ago.

Waterloo is my favourite battle from any era and I look forward to the day when an official version is printed. However, there are some very good fan made versions like GGs and Michael Dippel's version, which I used to celebrate 200th anniversary in June 2015.

I'll be trying out Berezina this weekend and will leave another commentary here. It's the least I can do to support the excellent people that make these wonderful scenarios for us all to enjoy.

All the best
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree--I've played one or two of them, with live opponents. Just got back from two weeks in Japan. Looking forward now to that Epic Peninsula game soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played GGs Berezina three times, now. What an excellent battle. Although my favourite battle of all time is Waterloo I think of the two GG offerings this is the best one. Both sides can win and both sides need to manage their forces well to win. Some difficult choices need to be made, at times despite the fact that the overarching strategy for both sides is straightforward; the French need to evacuate and the Russians need to pursue and cut off. It sounds simple, perhaps it does but its a nail biter.

I have posted a battle report but the powers that be are checking it before publication.

Very well done, GG. I don't think an official version could be any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
where can I find this epic Waterloo szenario? Is it in the expansion game? Or on a website? Is there also a Waterloo Grand Battle szenario? thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enpeze wrote:
where can I find this epic Waterloo szenario? Is it in the expansion game? Or on a website? Is there also a Waterloo Grand Battle szenario? thanks for any help.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1767292/epic-waterloo-berez...

The link above will get you to GGs epic battles.

There are double board scenarios for Waterloo but they were created before the Grand Battle rules and use CCAncient epic rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
super. thanks alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enpeze wrote:
super. thanks alot.

https://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/maps/seventh-c...

This one will take you to CCN website where you will find a Waterloo Grand Battle written by Michael D in November 2016. I will have t try this one out myself. You will also find allsorts of other treasures there. It's a really good site.

All the best
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
wow, a gb scenario. phantastic. may I ask you if you think that a gb scenario can be played with only 2 people? (I have a difficulty to get more than 2-3 interested players together)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Frank

I've only skimmed over the rules for Grand Battles because I really only play epic. It may prove a bit difficult to play with just two because I think that a player would need to manage three hands of cards, one for each of the three sections.

However, with some serious concentration on the content of each of the three hands it may be possible to put together a coherent strategy. I think you might need a full day to play the game as I should imagine a lot of time would be spent on each turn.

An experienced player from the USA played Austerlitz Grand Battle recently with a large number of players (at least six) and commented how long the game took to develop; despite having a man considering his own plans for each section.

If you and your opponent decide to go ahead and have the time and stamina to see it through I would love to read your comments.

Good luck
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for the advice.

A full day is no problem for me. Recently I played Totaler Krieg which lasted more than a week ) Most important is for me not the time or complexity issue, but the possibility as such. So I will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have added this to my must play list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagorman86 wrote:
Have added this to my must play list

I look forward to the battle report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Guys!

After so many testing (speaking here of my GG Waterloo Epic) I have the feeling that the Prussians arrive slightly too late!

I wanted a slightly allied balanced scenario but I feel like it's more a French balanced one ...

Waiting for the count of 8 makes it an average of 12 complete turns before the Prussians arrive ...

So check on change my Epic Waterloo:

• Prussian Reinforcements:
The Allies player rolls 1 dice at start of each of his turn.
If no FLAG symbol, the timeline for the Prussian arrival increases by 1.
When the timeline reach 8, the Prussian reinforcements arrive.

The Prussian Force consists of 3x LN, 2x RI, 2x LT, 2x LC, 1x LNCR, 1x HA
and one LDR (Blücher) plus 3 Iron Will Markers (option 1 Tactical card).
The Allies player must setup all units and Blücher (attached) in any of the
grey marked hexes. If not enough room or by choice, the extra units are lost.
The Prussians can then be ordered immediately using command cards but their
hex of entry will then count as their first hex of movement.

---> Less variance on the Prussian arrival!
---> Prussian arrival average sooner (9-10 turns)!

I think this system of 1 dice with no flag is better (less variance) but we can still change later the count from 8 to 9 if the Prussian average arrival seems now too soon!

GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.