GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,018 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution» Forums » General

Subject: Roads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much like the look of this game but shipping costs prevent me from buying direct. I will have to wait for a UK retailer to take it on before finally buying but buy it I will.

Having seen the terrain tiles I notice that, like Memoir 44 but unlike any other RB game, this one has roads.

Now, I love CC Napoleonic but I feel that road terrain tiles were a trick missed from this game. Roads were/still are a very important asset to hold in a battle, particularly when moving reinforcements from flank to flank or sending a lightening column or two into the enemy lines (imagine forced march on a road with an extra hex move - what a surprise for the enemy).

I fear that CCN is too far down the development road (no pun, here)now, to include roads unless a comprehensive scenario book is published as Memoir did when aircraft appeared on the scene, which covers all existing scenarios with roads.

OH, well, just saying whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can make an argument that most battles in CCN are represented at a large enough scale where roads would not be a significant tactical element.

Additionally, with only a 8-hex deep standard board, a lot of battles are slightly foreshortened. Taken together, it could be argued that road effects would generally be exaggerated if included. Though, certainly, some battles such as Quatre Bras would benefit form a more detailed representation of roads.

But at this point I doubt there is much enthusiasm on the part of either developer or customer to issue an expansion primarily aimed at adding (and refitting battles with) roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there would be no chance of a roads expansion. Besides, me and hundreds of devotees would rather have more epic battles for the next expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.