GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,415 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cat Box» Forums » Reviews

Subject: If I fits, I sits!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Molly Noir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cats and boxes go together like Einstein and E=Mc2. But Chihuahuas? Not so much of a box type. They’re more of the yip-yappy annoy everyone, sits in purses type. But cats and boxes? All I have to say about that is if they fits, they sits. Even if they clearly won’t fit, they will still sits. Or at least, they’ll try. Cat Box is a pattern building game by Grail Games for two to five kittens, and it will take approximately fifteen to thirty minutes.

Cat Box is super KAWAII!!! So. Many. Kittehs! But not THAT kind *Wink* *Wink*. Anyways, to begin, shuffle the identity cards, and pass one to each of the kittens, but have them keep it a secret. Next, shuffle the box cards and remove the required amount per kitten. Pass out the appropriate amount of cards to each kitten. Next, put one card in the middle of the table, and you’re ready to begin. The youngest kitten will go first, and they will either use a card front from their hand, called the secret hand. Or you could choose one of your opponents card backs, as the cards are double-sided. After you’ve chosen, you lay down the card to cover part of the existing tile. You can either cover one cat, or a closed box and a cat, but no more. The kitten who’s card was used will draw a card, and the next kitten will go. Then, when all the cards are gone, the game will end. The scoring can be kinda confusing when you first play, but it gets easier as you play. To start, everyone reveals their identity, even if you don’t wanna. After that, for cat scoring, they will count up the number of cats. They will also add the number of cats in their largest string of kittehs. That will be their score. For the Chihuahua, they will add the number of empty spaces, along with two points per every string of three cats. As you have already probably guessed, the person with the most points wins.

This isn’t the only way to play, if you were wondering. To play with the advanced rules, do not remove any extra cards, and give each player one of each of the tokens. There are five different types of tokens: Cat Paw, Cat Box, Toy Mouse, Tasty Fish, and Stacking. Each one has a different effect on the game. For example, the Cat Paw, if played right after a cat tile, you can place down another tile. The Cat Box makes it impossible for your opponent to place a tile around a certain card. However, it only lasts for a single round. Stack allows you to place a card over three cats, but only three, so no placing it over four kittehs. Toy Mouse allows you to take a card on the board and place it somewhere else on the board, and Tasty Fish allows you to save a card for later. If you don’t use all of them, each one is worth one point each.

Kittys!!~ Oh, my Cthulu, they are adorable! The artwork is awesome, and kawaii, so yeah. My only complaint is that it doesn’t have expansions. It makes me sad *World’s smallest piano commence*. Sorry, anyways, I don’t think I have much else I have to say but 10 outta 10, yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grail Games
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: If I fits, I sits!!! The thoughts of a teen girl
Haha thanks so much for reviewing the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molly Noir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aza chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this with friends. We played two times with 4 players. I so wanted to like this... But I found it aggravating, for these reasons:

Your identity is figured out rather quickly I found.
And then you play your card, hoping to score a long line of cats.
But then THREE other players get the chance to interrupt your slowly growing line of cats. At some point in the game this ALWAYS happens, and making your line of cats becomes pointless. You're going: "Well, I need to connect my cats, but there's not a lot of options. Sigh. I'll just put it here then, and hope nobody will cover my cats up... Oh there we go, someone covered my kitty. Yay."

I absolutely loved the artwork, I love cats in general, but this game got me so annoyed, I never want to play it again. I found it to be just mean and ultimately pointless, as your efforts will always be made undone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molly Noir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that happens to me too. However, if you bluff by putting a line of pink kitties in one corner when your really the blue kitty, it makes it harder on your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.