Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
195 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My Little Scythe - a My Little Pony remake of Scythe for the whole family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MY LITTLE SCYTHE is now yours to download!

Our family-friendly variant of Scythe has attracted the attention of over 10,000 people since its announcement last month. We have been absolutely blown away by the interest, support, and volunteers from the board gaming community. With lots of love, it’s now ready to be enjoyed in your home.

My daughter has also helped put together a How to Play video for younger players. (and big kids too) Enjoy!

ps: I look forward to seeing many of you at GenCon50!

Also: We are now listed on Board Game Geek!

Actual Play Test Recap:
Teaching Time: 8 minutes
Playing Time: 31 minutes
Players: 2 adults, 1 child (6 years old)

The game is setup and ready to be enjoyed! Each player starts by choosing a starter pony and attaching their respective coloured magnetic bases.

Early in the game, the yellow player gained enough friendship and baked enough pies to boost his # of ponies up to two. The blue and red players instead chose to aggressively grab the gems, apples, and quests discovered on the map using their lone starter ponies.

Friendship: among other things, certain levels of friendship are required before you can invite additional ponies to join you. Because who wants to join a meany? soblue

Searching: players roll 4 dice from a pool of 3 red dice (apples), 3 blue dice (gems), and 1 gold dice (quests) Players determine composition of the role depending on what resources they need. Example if I'm in desperate need of apples, I'd roll 3 red dice (apples) and either a blue or gold to discover as many apples on the board as possible. Hexes that produce each resource are accordingly numbered 1-6 for each resource or quests.

The blue player eyeing a large cache of apples discovered early in the game. These lovely apple bits were generously donated for the development of this game by Meeplesource.com!

Resources: like Scythe, apples and gems are acquired by players by simply moving onto the hexes where they're found. They remain on the board (although they may be moved with ponies) and are removed only when spent. In the above example, the blue player's Princess Candace will eventually remove 2 apples to bake 2 pies a few turns later.

The blue player quested and came across one of our testers' favourite quests! As it was her 2nd quest, she gained an achievement. Both the red player and blue player would later gain enough to invite all 3 of their ponies on the board, completing yet another achievement each.

Achievements: gained for reaching 10 friendship, 10 pies, gem delivery, apple delivery, inviting all 3 ponies, winning a pie fight (x2), and completing 2 quests. Any 4 will net you the win!

The game eventually ended in 31 minutes with the yellow player narrowly winning through a last minute 'Hail Mary' pie fight against the blue player. This was made possible by abandoning his resources in pursuit of the blue player's pony.

Movement: the basic movement rule restricts movement to 1 space when carrying resources but allows moves of up to 2 spaces when no resources are carried. (a logical concept easily understood by kids) This mechanic leads to rather interesting trade-off decisions throughout the game!

The finishing blow! If you're familiar with Scythe, the simplicity of the combat system lends itself to be playable by even young kids. So why mess with Jamey's perfection? This part of the game was left mechanically identical to Scythe.

Pie Fights: these break out when ponies are moved onto a hex containing another player's ponies. (often when deliveries are attempted) Each player uses a Pie Fight dial to secretly choose the # of pies to throw at the other. If you have any magic spells, one may be used for each pony you have in the pie fight. Add the value on the pie fight dial with any spells you use. The highest total wins, with ties going to the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA Wolfe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HA! Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adorable and clever!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
... is here!
badge
Sunrise ... sunset
mbmbmbmbmb
Cute! Looks like a fun version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to show off the video at her wedding rehearsal. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there somewhere we can subscribe to make sure we see the actual release statement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Is there somewhere we can subscribe to make sure we see the actual release statement?

That's a good question Olaf. I think the best place would be this forum (gaming with kids) and the Scythe Facebook page. I'll most likely be posting something there. I really appreciate your interest! Now back to finishing that rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribed to this post, any chance you can post a reply here when the moment is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, any info already on where to grab the non-printable components (like the magnetic ponies) would be great, so I only have to print the stuff when it's available.
Can't wait to play this with my girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is epic and gorgeous and adorable.

I will have to make a copy for the kids. Also makes me want to start working on my Star Wars: Rebellion reskin as a WWII French Resistance game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Look! A pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! I love the attention to detail in providing 3D apples as tokens for the game, and the magnetic bases allowing for team selection in colors is a simple, yet wonderful approach.

Your top-notch graphic approach might actually make me try harder with my Dominion retheme too, because the effect here is marvelous.

While we're at it, does anyone know of a MLP retheme geeklist? Maybe I'm missing more quality works like this. Or maybe it is time to start one at long last laugh

Shine on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
Adorable. Please post when it is out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Koonings
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Though the theme is not for me, duh, this does actually look like a really good product to be honest. I don't know how the card quality is, but the magnets are a great idea, it all looks good, it all fits the other pieces, graphic design looks really good. You put some time into this thing.

Now, i hate Monopoly and the 1 million different versions that are basically the same, but, some games could do with some different themes, and usually also an updated rules book to fix any issues while you're at it. This should happen more often.
There are some companies out there that will help you create some stuff, i feel that's only going to happen more and more, up to a point some stuff will be so good you'll get into trouble if you want to start selling it.
Then you get into the IP rights crap.

Great job man. Do you do such things more often ? If so, keep them coming !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Koonings
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
I'd really like a Dominion Sci-Fi theme, with of course also likely some different new cards to fit that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabiballetje wrote:
Though the theme is not for me, duh, this does actually look like a really good product to be honest. I don't know how the card quality is, but the magnets are a great idea, it all looks good, it all fits the other pieces, graphic design looks really good. You put some time into this thing.

Now, i hate Monopoly and the 1 million different versions that are basically the same, but, some games could do with some different themes, and usually also an updated rules book to fix any issues while you're at it. This should happen more often.
There are some companies out there that will help you create some stuff, i feel that's only going to happen more and more, up to a point some stuff will be so good you'll get into trouble if you want to start selling it.
Then you get into the IP rights crap.

Great job man. Do you do such things more often ? If so, keep them coming !

Thanks for the encouragement! To be honest we had never intended for this game to be released or even receive this much attention. People started posting about it on Facebook one day (thinking it was an April Fool's joke) and the rest was history.

Indeed we do have a few other creations and I'm now considering polishing them up for the public to enjoy. And not to worry they do include more gender neutral themes. Aside from existing work, I'm REALLY interested in a Gloomhaven type game for kids lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
This is epic and gorgeous and adorable.

I will have to make a copy for the kids. Also makes me want to start working on my Star Wars: Rebellion reskin as a WWII French Resistance game...

Do it! I'm a big Star Wars Rebellion fan myself! Make the 2v2 mechanic actually feel less superficial while you're at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Also, any info already on where to grab the non-printable components (like the magnetic ponies) would be great, so I only have to print the stuff when it's available.

Absolutely Olaf. I'll post here for sure. And as for the non-printable components I'd love to help. Depending on where you live, you can actually buy all 12 ponies that you need through a book called "My Busy Books: My Little Pony". It includes a story, playmats, and 12 X 2" My Little Pony figures that I used for this game--all for $5 to $10. There you have it, my secret sauce.

The universal ISBN for the book is: 2764322569

Chapters Indigo: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/my-busy-books-my-...

Barns & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-little-pony-phidal-publis...

Tesco in Europe: https://www.tesco.com/direct/my-little-pony-busy-books/CN9-N...

For anyone interested, some Costco stores also sell this book for $6-9.

After getting the ponies, I then glued them onto 1 inch wooden bases which are cheap, especially if you paint them yourself. Otherwise you can buy pre-painted ones from Meeplesource. For most people that should be enough but I elected to embed small rare earth magnets into them, which allows them to attach onto a second player-coloured base also embedded with a rare earth magnet. This was only to accommodate my daughter's idea of allowing players to choose their own ponies each time. It's a bonus, but not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jackson

Springville
UT
msg tools
This was a genius re-skin of a popular game. I am always looking at games for kids and this one looks like it will teach them multiple skills and management of play. Not to many games do that for kids and keep them engaged. About how long does the game take to play?

Great Work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

Even with instruction, it's only about 30 mins. I had always been gunning for that sweet spot. All-adult games tend to take up to 40mins but that's because we get more scheming as we age.

And thanks for recognizing the educational and cognitive-social aspects of the game. It's built in, but never overt. They will learn a lot of math, calculating risk, and strategy without even knowing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:

Absolutely Olaf. I'll post here for sure. And as for the non-printable components I'd love to help. Depending on where you live, you can actually buy all 12 ponies that you need through a book called "My Busy Books: My Little Pony". It includes a story, playmats, and 12 X 2" My Little Pony figures that I used for this game--all for $5 to $10. There you have it, my secret sauce.

Awesome, my daughter actually has that already! Thanks.
Just checked if she's ok if I base them for this game, and she gave her ok

Other than that just some regular cubes and tokens? (Can use eight minute empire those I think). Think I saw somebody mention apples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great!

My Little Sickle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Ribera
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omg im dead! i love this whole thing! good job to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Hi Joe,

Even with instruction, it's only about 30 mins. I had always been gunning for that sweet spot. All-adult games tend to take up to 40mins but that's because we get more scheming as we age.

And thanks for recognizing the educational and cognitive-social aspects of the game. It's built in, but never overt. They will learn a lot of math, calculating risk, and strategy without even knowing it.

Age & treachery! devil

I am looking forward to the files being posted. My little girl will LOVE this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Titelbaum
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so cool. Best mashup ever?

Are we sure that
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has seen this yet?

---Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
mtitelbaum wrote:
This is so cool. Best mashup ever?

Are we sure that
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has seen this yet?

---Matt

How hard would it be for Stonemaier Games to get the MLP license so that it could produce something like this. Scythe for Kids is Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.