Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty much an omni-gamer. I love little games like Fairy Tale or High Society. I love big long games like Dune or Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. For the most part, I just like games, but there are certain types of games that really seem to right in my wheelhouse (Sidenote: We need a term for board games that is different than wheelhouse. I suggest table surface and will use that from now on). These games often include some direct conflict, take around 1.5 to 2 hours, multi-use cards, and players have unique special abilities. Path of Light and Shadow (PoLaS) hits for me right on that table surface. I'm lucky enough to know this, because I happen to live in Indianapolis, where Action Phase Games are based out of and so have been able to play it several times in the past month! Now with that introduction on to the review.

Game Play
Normally, if you've read my reviews, you know that I don't go too deep into the rules explanation. However, since this a game that is not out yet, I am going to go a bit deeper in order to give you an understanding of exactly what you do in the game.

In Path of Light and Shadow you are the leader of a fledgling nation putting back together the fallen lands around you. You travel around the country side recruiting followers to your cause - the thing is just as in real life - you don't always get the chance to choose who follows you. It could be the Halax Sovereignty, the Horde Blood Empire, the Sigilborne Ascendency, or the Commonfolk. Now of course if you are in a specific area, there is a better chance of a certain group of people following you than others, simply because there are more of them in that area, but that doesn't mean that a Halax won't show up to join your cause!

On a players turn they get a single movement which they move their miniature on the map. You can do this before or after you take any of the following actions:

1. Promote a Card. Basically you trash a card in your hand or discard pile and get a specific card from the appropriate deck that it promotes to. There are three levels of cards, with only of the top level, so the that means their is a race to that top level card.

2. Cull a Card. Return cards to their appropriate deck. Doing this gains means you are cruel! Remember those cards are people that are following you and when you tell them you don't want to play with them anymore their feelings are hurt!

3. Build a Structure. Each player has a player board with four different buildings in each of the different factions plus a neutral one. These give that player a special ability and serve as a way to make the play more asymmetrical.

4. Use an Action Ability. Some of the cards have an action on the that you can use for some cool effect.

5. Conquer a Province. You attempt to conquer the province where you miniature is located. Without going into a ton of detail you play cards from your hand, your opponent plays card from their hand, and both of you roll dice equal to the strength of your strongest card + the strength totals on all the other cards (with modifiers from buildings and card text as well) to see who wins. Destruction happens in the province (thus making that province worth less points) and you claim it if you win by placing your flag there.

Once your turn is done, you then gain a card from the deck associated with the province where your miniature is located, and if you want you can gain a second. If you do that you get a bit more merciful, because after all you are letting someone hang out with the cool kid!

Essentially, you are building a deck of cards, taking actions by using those cards (which all have multiple uses), and trying to gain control of the territories on the board without completely destroying them. You have to make tough decisions on what to use cards for, because if you promote a card, then you can't use it to attack a province, but at the same time if you use it to attack a province you can't use it to build that awesome building for lots of points! You play over a total of 12 rounds, with scoring rounds occurring three times throughout the game, escalating each time for controlling two of the three provinces with the same terrain. You are doing this by taking the path of light (often having a larger deck of cards) or taking the path of shadow (often with a smaller deck of cards) to gain the most points and win the game!

My Thoughts
I really enjoy this game! As of the writing of this review, I've only played with the prototype version of the game, but still am really impressed. A third of the way through the year and I have played 25 new to me games thus far in 2017. This is competing for the best of the year for me. There is a lot of year left, but even playing the 60-80 new to me games a year that I usually do, I can't imagine it not finishing in the Top 10 of the year for me.

What Was Meh
Let's start with a couple things I am not such a huge fan of in the game. First, drawing your cards at the end of the turn based upon where your leader is at. IT IS SO EASY TO FORGET! I don't know what else they could have done though. In the rule book they do suggest putting a token on top of your deck so you don't draw from it until you have gained the cards. However, it can have big impacts on the game. Either letting you keep your deck thinner or maybe you miss out on that card you really needed. Second, I really wanted to see a bit more importance in the merciful & cruelty track. Importance is probably not the right word, it is very important, what I mean is some variance in your decisions as you go on. You really need to choose one or the other and go all out. There isn't any true middle ground on this and if you go bad and regret it, well then you just got to get over your conscious and stick with being bad. Same for good. It isn't a huge deal, just something to know going in, that it isn't going to be like Fable (2004) (can you tell how long it has been since I've played video games). In that type of moral choice game you can be good, regret it, and work your way towards bad. In PoLaS you can do that, it just doesn't seem that it'll fare well for you in the victory category.

What is Great
The art is superb as you can see from the few pieces of it I've included in this blog post. Beth Sobel is quickly becoming my favorite board game artist. I received Coldwater Crown done by her earlier this year and now she is doing the art for this one. A wide variety of characters and just seems to fit the realism of the world. I've only seen screenshots of the board and some of the other pieces of art, but the box cover and the art on the cards is top notch.

I really love the theme. The idea of being a leader, traversing the countryside and picking up followers. This is carried out fully in how you gain cards to your deck. You don't get to choose who follows you, nope this is like real life. The people that follow you are made up of the people that live in the place that you are at and so the odds increase that a larger contingent of people will follow you from a certain faction, but it isn't guaranteed. Such a great fun mechanic! It while it does add a bit of luck, it does take out some of that analysis paralysis that can show up even in deck building games.

There are no "draw a card" cards and I love it. For example the Smithy in Dominion with the "+3 cards" nothing like it exists in PoLaS! It felt a bit odd at first. Every deck building game I've ever played has had it (even those that aren't only deck building), but this does not. You have to plan your deck and your goals on the board accordingly. Make sure you have what you need in the deck without depending on drawing into that card by playing a lost of "Smithy" actions.

I enjoy that the game can be what you want it to be. If you want it to be a face down deck builder you can. Not sure that is a viable strategy to win, but it is still a fun way to play the game. If you want it to be in your face go after the perceived leader, you can do that as well. The game fits nicely in that "sandbox" feel for me.

A single piece area control game is exceptionally unique to me. This is truly area control too, not area majority. You go in, you attack the territory and if you get it then you put your flag on it and it is yours. Someone then can take it from you. I love that. Direct conflict. I'm not just throwing some cubes in here and you'll get second place. No, I'm taking this from your cold dead hands. Mostly, I imagine I don't actually kill you since you are likely off in some other part of the country doing deeds, but you get the idea. I'm probably just spreading horrible rumors, attacking your followers, and drawing mustaches on your portrait.

The promotions of your followers is such a good mechanic. A lot of deck building style games have trashing of cards into other cards. This one though uses it as well, but in a specific way to get to other specific cards. It provides a bit of a race since there is a limit to the higher cards. The frustrating feeling when someone beats you out to that top card is excellent!

There is a lot going on in this game and it will take a long time to do it well. Each game I have played, I've played against experienced players, and lost by a lot. I believe that shows some depth to the strategy behind the game. It also shows how enamored I am with it wanting to come back for more after getting my butt handed to me.

My Recommendations

The Deck Building Super Fan - You know who you are. You've been into deck building since day one. You've played them all. You even like DC Comics Deck-Building Game because the mechanics bring out the theme so much. This game is absolutely for you. While deck building is a part of the game, it is not by any means all of the game, but will still scratch that itch for you while adding more depth.

Dominion Haters - Dominion to you was just an exercise and should have had a real game in there. Then A Study in Emerald came out and you were on it, but wanted more streamlined game play. Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure then showed up, but was just a bit too light for your taste. PoLaS was made for you. I think it fits right in-between those two games for depth and strategy, while still being much more than just another deck builder. So I'd suggest at least trying it - because while deck building is an element it isn't nearly everything and it is done differently.

Luck Hating People - This one is probably not for you. There is luck in the game. What you roll on your dice, what cards you get, so the game can turn a bit to the unexpected. That makes the story of the game better and adds some excitement, but if you are looking for El Grande level of control you should look elsewhere. There will be times where your plan just doesn't work out, because of luck. Now, I say this after being destroyed in the games I've played against experienced players, so luck is obviously mitigated if you know what you are doing, it still exists though.

Gamers Who Want Story - Perhaps yes or perhaps no. I'm not sure this is one for you, but at the same time I don't want to say it is either. I liken this game to Scythe. All the trappings are there and you can jump into the theme if you want, but it won't force feed it to you like some other games do where you can't help but jump into the story.

Someone Wanting the Next Step in Board Gaming - I would say yes, though it is a bigger step. If you've played Dominion or you've played Ticket to Ride and you are looking for something more, something deeper, then I think this is one that is worth grabbing. The time investment is not much more than those games in a single sitting, yet the complexity is taken up a notch.

Punch Your Friends Gamer - PoLaS has some direct interaction, there is not doubt, but it isn't or at least doesn't have to be the focus of it. You can go after your buddies provinces they own, make them your own, or at least make them worth less for your buddy when scoring happens. If that seems like something you'd want to experience, then go for it.

*Note: This is a cross post from my blog - normally I do not do this, but thought it might be helpful for those interested in the game and getting at least one person's opinion on it since there isn't a lot out there right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely written review, I sure wish we could see the board and minis! I can't wait for the 9 May Kickstarter.

Also...stop trying to make table surface happen...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

It's like slang from... Indiana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I was going to suggest the term 'shelf space'.

"This game is totally in my shelf space." sounds better to me than:
"This game is totally in my (on my?) table surface."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all are right on my table surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
IMCarnochan wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I was going to suggest the term 'shelf space'.

"This game is totally in my shelf space." sounds better to me than:
"This game is totally in my (on my?) table surface."

Table surface is great ... except it's SO MANY syllables.

Since wheelhouse is a term borrowed from shipping and then used in baseball and subsequently widely, clearly what we need is a term taken from some sort of gaming that involves some sort of driving or controlling of something -- perhaps console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thx. for the insight. Some of the point you point out also come through in the various pieces I've read thusfar. Waiting for the KS and the vids to better get an understanding how it all works together.

Did you also play a 2 player game? I'm wondering how the game will play in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I haven't played two player. All my games have been with four players. I think it will play well at two player, if differently than with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SherM Tan
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review. I find it really helpful and I can't wait for it to kick off this month. I have a question about replayability. While there is a story going on, what are your thoughts on the replay value of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Häusler
Germany
Donauwörth
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for your preview but i missed real pro/cons

i cant see whats good and what i would dislike (ok to forget to draw a card? interesting but no con ^^)

what does the game good or better than other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
arenson9 wrote:
Table surface is great ... except it's SO MANY syllables.

Since wheelhouse is a term borrowed from shipping and then used in baseball and subsequently widely, clearly what we need is a term taken from some sort of gaming that involves some sort of driving or controlling of something -- perhaps console.

Compromise with TaSur. This game is totally on my TaSur. Done and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elansargelmir wrote:
Thanks for the review. I find it really helpful and I can't wait for it to kick off this month. I have a question about replayability. While there is a story going on, what are your thoughts on the replay value of the game?

I think it is pretty high. Each game I've played have felt different. There are a lot of cards and a lot of damage that can be done to the province points to make it play out different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempest wrote:
thanks for your preview but i missed real pro/cons

i cant see whats good and what i would dislike (ok to forget to draw a card? interesting but no con ^^)

what does the game good or better than other games?

I was trying to give folks ideas of comparisons with my recommendations. A con for me is forgetting to draw your cards at turn end and also after conquering. That is the only way you get cards so it can be significant in the game. A pro I think is that it forces you to give up doing something you want to do something else. You want a small deck? Well then you gotta spend actions culling rather than conquering or promoting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Rochester
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Nicely written review, I sure wish we could see the board and minis! I can't wait for the 9 May Kickstarter.

Hahaha.. I think he's succeeded. I think I'm a table surface convert. A very well written review. Nice.
I just backed the project and I'm excited about getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooogene wrote:
There are no "draw a card" cards and I love it. For example the Smithy in Dominion with the "+3 cards" nothing like it exists in PoLaS! It felt a bit odd at first. Every deck building game I've ever played has had it (even those that aren't only deck building), but this does not. You have to plan your deck and your goals on the board accordingly. Make sure you have what you need in the deck without depending on drawing into that card by playing a lost of "Smithy" actions.

Mage Knight is the same, no +draw cards (the only card in MK allowing for bonus card draw needs payment which value roughly matches the value of bonus card drawn). If you did not play it, you should. But it will not fit into your 2 hour category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking frequently about KS campaign (not the game), and thoughts always were around "poorly led campaign". Multiple issues:

1. Basically no stretch goals. Clearly they were calculated to be all included from the beginning (look at the $ spacing between goals). And they were so small that I would not even had cared about them, and you could do even without them. Well, of course that would had needed a better led campaign. You may look at Flow of History, that's a recent example which I may call perfect.

2. Public design card challenges. That's double incompetence show - one is that instead of doing wise choices (in line with 2 years spent in development), you let public decide in what they "like", another is that the deciding public is people who have not played the game. Instead you could do that with private beta testers or similar (don't remember in which game campaign description I noticed similar done).

3. Exclusives. Did the game need 14 exclusive cards to spoil retail version? Sales now are destined to be crippled in retail. Initial spread of news will be via people who backed kickstarter, and imagine them saying to friends "it's a good game, but you if you think to buy it, retail version is missing a lot of beautiful cards so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it". This game is not that earth shaking and ground breaking to get over this exclusives impairment, like CMON games do. That by the way I think did not hurt yours Aeons End substantially as exclusives were only 3 not so interesting nemesis cards (not counting market cards which can be replaced with online version), but I doubt how much it will hurt War Eternal retail with 6 exclusives and one with picture in them, and also having promos - big mess. More and more campaigns now ditch gameplay exclusives and add component exclusives (or full exclusive deluxe versions), or just ditch all exclusives and they do way better than expected. As I was following War Eternal closely - did read all the comments, there was an amount of people happy that you did reprint previous exclusives, and no complaints. I don't think you got the message.
I suggest to read this analysis and bad experiences from Stone Maier Games, and the previous post in it (links at end), and comments too. Just, for doing better in future:
https://stonemaiergames.com/the-current-state-of-early-birds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weidox wrote:
I was thinking frequently about KS campaign (not the game), and thoughts always were around "poorly led campaign". Multiple issues:

1. Basically no stretch goals. Clearly they were calculated to be all included from the beginning (look at the $ spacing between goals). And they were so small that I would not even had cared about them, and you could do even without them. Well, of course that would had needed a better led campaign. You may look at Flow of History, that's a recent example which I may call perfect.

2. Public design card challenges. That's double incompetence show - one is that instead of doing wise choices (in line with 2 years spent in development), you let public decide in what they "like", another is that the deciding public is people who have not played the game. Instead you could do that with private beta testers or similar (don't remember in which game campaign description I noticed similar done).

3. Exclusives. Did the game need 14 exclusive cards to spoil retail version? Sales now are destined to be crippled in retail. Initial spread of news will be via people who backed kickstarter, and imagine them saying to friends "it's a good game, but you if you think to buy it, retail version is missing a lot of beautiful cards so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it". This game is not that earth shaking and ground breaking to get over this exclusives impairment, like CMON games do. That by the way I think did not hurt yours Aeons End substantially as exclusives were only 3 not so interesting nemesis cards (not counting market cards which can be replaced with online version), but I doubt how much it will hurt War Eternal retail with 6 exclusives and one with picture in them, and also having promos - big mess. More and more campaigns now ditch gameplay exclusives and add component exclusives (or full exclusive deluxe versions), or just ditch all exclusives and they do way better than expected. As I was following War Eternal closely - did read all the comments, there was an amount of people happy that you did reprint previous exclusives, and no complaints. I don't think you got the message.
I suggest to read this analysis and bad experiences from Stone Maier Games, and the previous post in it (links at end), and comments too. Just, for doing better in future:
https://stonemaiergames.com/the-current-state-of-early-birds...

Dude, I think you're over-exaggerating a bit.

1. There were stretch goals, whether or not you care about them is subjective. Not every game needs amazing game-changing stretch goals and some people actually prefer if that wasn't the case. Some of these SGs were what some were asking for, the dual-layer mat for instance. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that no one did.

2. They had 3 design challenges... where you got to pick a name and one of the previously approved abilities. Pretty sure this isn't going to break the game, but hey, if it bothers you, don't use those advisers or ally.

3. If you read the article you linked and looked at the graphs he posted, it seems more people like exclusives than don't. At any rate, Jamey isn't going to decide for the rest of KS one way or the other. The way this project was done was one of the better exclusive options I've seen. Backers get 14 extra cards, which is awesome, but that does not spoil the retail version. There's 270+ cards in the retail version according to the campaign page. 14 exclusives is 5% of that. That's a drop in the bucket compared to some projects where like half the content is exclusive.

I'm not saying this project was the model of perfection, but it's also not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I stopped looking at stretch goals when I saw how gaps were shortened from $5k to $2k. Before that I was already quite uninterested seeing single card SG. So that should be true that some notable things were added later on. That's then back some respect from me. And on gaps, I do think Travis could do better in keeping the same $5k gaps but silently merging goals ahead behind scenes. Seeing SG with 3 cards would had been something to wait for.
On the design challenges, I do hope they will include those unchosen abilities in future expansion. As if they already spent effort to balance them so they could work, why not to sell and make money.
And the articles, first a miss from my side - I see that the older article is not linked at the bottom, here's the link:
https://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter-lesson-60-exclusive-...
I read both of them, and comments on newer article. The older article is more about impact and is more thoughts, and more interesting in general. In newer article tables can be misleading because they do not separate between exclusives and promos, and shows 39% liking. Later more detailed graphs show that only 27% people do like exclusives, and that even does not separate what is gameplay and what is component exclusives. With separation, gameplay exclusives could be even much lower. Next, 43% may not even buy game if they miss exclusive content (that's the retail impact). Those things are more talked about in the older article. And 14 cards /5% as exclusives is big. Take some game and tear up 5% of cards, and think how you would feel after that. I may laugh when people care about damaged box corners, but shredding 5% cards you would probably not sell the game even for 10% of original price. And if that would be not big - then why to do that at all. Do then something what does not annoy half of people - promos or component exclusives. Well, I'm repeating myself too much and those things are written much better in the older article which I linked now.
Why I do care - because APG (now under Travis) published Aeon's End which is kind of near a dream game for me, and I would not like them spoiling the game even further - War Eternal exclusives were already enough for me to not recommend it to friends. I backed Path too, but I'm not much happy about it.

And on this one:
kevinjohn3d wrote:
The way this project was done was one of the better exclusive options I've seen.
For me it is one of the worst - not enough exclusives to make a half new game like CMON often achieves, and enough exclusives to spoil the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weidox wrote:
Take some game and tear up 5% of cards, and think how you would feel after that.

I've played a game and done that before....

Pandemic Legacy!

Seriously though, destroying a part of a game is not equal to not getting exclusives. A game sold at retail is (supposed to be) 100% complete. You can play it and have fun just fine without any exclusives or promos. And yes, I have purchased games at retail without getting their KS exclusives, they are still plenty fun. I would never not recommend a game just because someone couldn't get some sort of exclusive for it.

If you however feel this strongly about it, then don't support games that have exclusives. Seems fairly straightforward.

Edit: And also, at the very least, maybe make a new topic about it or something. This guy's nice review doesn't need to dissolve into an Exclusives vs Non-Exclusives debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for fun answer with legacy games:) Sadly it is not the same, as after finishing legacy game you can buy a new one without leaving a fortune. The next thing we need is legacy game with tearable exclusives on Kickstarter. Would like to see how such rolls on.
kevinjohn3d wrote:
A game sold at retail is (supposed to be) 100% complete.
Possible to regard as complete and think that exclusives are a separate out of print expansion, but does not sound right. I would call it "incomplete playable". And there is reason why truly complete ones are selling for about 5 times higher than those I called incomplete playable ones. Prices show people are valuing them similar a game with 5% torn up cards would be (excluding legacy stuffy of course). And I recently backed two more copies of one game I'm pretty sure I will sell it for good profit. That's a sample how things and me are degenerating. And those exclusives are fueling it and secondary market which is for just frustrating people.
kevinjohn3d wrote:
Don't support games that have exclusives. Seems fairly straightforward.
Or better, buy more and sell for profit. That's crap. And publishers do not have enough brain how to collect that profit for themselves.
kevinjohn3d wrote:
This guy's nice review doesn't need to dissolve into an Exclusives vs Non-Exclusives debate.
That one you're fully right. A bit too late:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.