GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,302 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Midway Solitaire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Japanese Victory Spirit token & repairs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Starman
United States
Elgin
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on my first play of the game. I have two questions. I drew one of the Victory Spirit tokens as the IJN Operational chit....it just states that all USN task forces on a plotting space move back one....from this there is no other info. My question is....is this the only thing the IJN 'player' does this turn and after moving all USN task forces back one, does the game shift to the USN player sequence, or do the IJN get to have their turn? If so, which route is active? Does the Victory Spirit token go back into the Operational draw cup? I assume so, since I cannot find in the rules where it states to permanently remove the token, like other tokens are, when used.

Also, on the repair tables....to clarify, does the die roll # for 'no effect' mean it is not repaired and the unit is placed on the damage repair lines on the map? If the die roll falls in the second column on the repair table, the unit is repaired immediately and placed in a home base?

Thanks in advance for any help. So far I like the game....massive carrier air battle off of the Aleution's....USN naval air took a pummeling as the USS Enterprise & USS Hornet ended up taking on the Shokaku, Zuiho and Shoho...too many Japanese fighters. Many Japanese fighters were lost, but both USN naval air groups suffered 50%+ losses and broke off combat. TF 16 in Alaska is now in a weakened state and the Aleution base is now vulnerable to invasion. The Midway route has also been activated as well as the Port Moresby route. As CINCPAC, I feel somewhat overwhelmed on which route to focus defense on. The fog-of-war on the Japanese forces is very interesting. So many unknown's. So far enjoying the game very much!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p40kitty wrote:
I am on my first play of the game. I have two questions. I drew one of the Victory Spirit tokens as the IJN Operational chit....it just states that all USN task forces on a plotting space move back one....from this there is no other info. My question is....is this the only thing the IJN 'player' does this turn and after moving all USN task forces back one, does the game shift to the USN player sequence, or do the IJN get to have their turn?


John,

Yes, that is the IJN turn, so play shifts over the the U.S. player.

Quote:
Does the Victory Spirit token go back into the Operational draw cup? I assume so, since I cannot find in the rules where it states to permanently remove the token, like other tokens are, when used.


No, per the top of page 10, it is removed permanently.

Quote:
Also, on the repair tables....to clarify, does the die roll # for 'no effect' mean it is not repaired and the unit is placed on the damage repair lines on the map? If the die roll falls in the second column on the repair table, the unit is repaired immediately and placed in a home base?


If I understand you correctly (which I may not be), I think you have it reversed. A damaged ship must first determine its repair eligibility and is then placed on the Repair track, and it uses the Repair table each turn to see if the severity of its damage improves each turn.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any help. So far I like the game....massive carrier air battle off of the Aleution's....USN naval air took a pummeling as the USS Enterprise & USS Hornet ended up taking on the Shokaku, Zuiho and Shoho...too many Japanese fighters. Many Japanese fighters were lost, but both USN naval air groups suffered 50%+ losses and broke off combat. TF 16 in Alaska is now in a weakened state and the Aleution base is now vulnerable to invasion. The Midway route has also been activated as well as the Port Moresby route. As CINCPAC, I feel somewhat overwhelmed on which route to focus defense on. The fog-of-war on the Japanese forces is very interesting. So many unknown's. So far enjoying the game very much!


Really great. Please let me know how this turns out, here.

Eric
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,
I'm a litte confused on the repair issue. I thought that after you rolled to see if the ship could be repaired you then determined what space on the repair track it would start (severity) and then each turn the unit moved up one space on the track without a die roll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Eric,
I'm a litte confused on the repair issue. I thought that after you rolled to see if the ship could be repaired you then determined what space on the repair track it would start (severity) and then each turn the unit moved up one space on the track without a die roll.


Yes. That's exactly correct, Tim. Bad wording on my part (which I corrected). Thanks.

Quote:
Also, on the repair tables....to clarify, does the die roll # for 'no effect' mean it is not repaired and the unit is placed on the damage repair lines on the map?


The naval unit must go into the "Damaged" box if it receives a 'no effect' result.

Quote:
If the die roll falls in the second column on the repair table, the unit is repaired immediately and placed in a home base?


It is placed on the Damaged/Repair track (either the Pearl Harbor or the West Coast repair track), yes.

Eric
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Harvey wrote:

John,

Yes, that is the IJN turn, so play shifts over the the U.S. player.



Not even the Japanese Logistics step is executed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.