GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Advice for 6p newbie game needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I want to introduce the base game to our group and need some advice, please.

Most of them have some to little experience with board games but none of us ever played this. Will a 6 players game drag? I am going to host and teach the game but worried they may get bored, so any advice would be appreciated.

The other game I have in mind is Concordia but that only goes up to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have experience of worker placement games, then I find that the theme works really well to help people understand the chain of actions.

If you impress upon people that they should be thinking about their turn when the person before them is having a turn (perhaps even 2 before them depending on your speed of play) then you will find that the game moves along quite quickly. It will be slow at the start, but near the end it will move at a pace.

Remember:
- Vines planted on the fields stay on the field and each field can be harvested ONCE PER YEAR. They will be available again next year to harvest.
- You do not remove vines when you harvest.
- Grapes on the crush pad will continue to age up to value 9 (or unless another grape token blocks them (so, you can have a 7,8 & 9 grapes)
- Wine in the cellar will only age up to the end of the current cellar you've built (either 3 with no cellar, 6 with the medium cellar and 9 with the medium and large).
- You combine GRAPES into WINE. Each wine uses exactly 1 of the appropriate grape to make a wine (as shown on the board): 1 red grape to make 1 red wine of the same value and the same for white. Blush uses 1 red and 1 white, sparkling uses 2 red and 1 white.
- You cannot add 2 red grapes together to make a better red wine.
- With 6 players, those worker spots are going to fill up quickly. Visitor cards are the way to get more flexibility. Summer cards tend to deal with the summer actions, winter visitor cards the winter actions.

Don't get hung up on the wine orders you have not matching the vines in your fields, get new wine orders - It's easier than trying to get more vines.

Get more workers. If you are early in the turn order at the start of the game (places 1-4) you should aim to get another worker by the end of that year and aim to have 4-5 by the end of the game.

Look for strategies that don't involve selling wine. The tasting room can add few VP, windmill the same. Visitor cards often offer VP for other things. Use them.

Be prepared for the end of the game. It's not unusual for someone to deliver 6-10 VP in wine and bring the game to an end when you are not expecting it. Games usually last 7-9 turns (years).

And most of all, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the tips, Stuart!

I didn't recall u can't combine red grapes for a better red wine blush, must have confused that with harvesting. Good catch there. I need to read the rulebook again, may be over a glass of wine. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexlyf wrote:
Thank you for the tips, Stuart!

I didn't recall u can't combine red grapes for a better red wine blush, must have confused that with harvesting. Good catch there. I need to read the rulebook again, may be over a glass of wine. Cheers!

The two questions I get asked most often by new players are the removing of vines when harvesting (you don't) and the combining of the same colour grape to a higher wine of the same colour (they get confused with the blush and sparkling wines), so happy to pass those on

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything Stuart said.

Make sure you play through a 3 player solo game (where you take all three sides) on your own before teaching. You want to be very clear about the grande worker rules and the bonus spaces. You need a 3+ player game for the bonus spaces.

The first game may be long but the downtime between worker placements is actually minimal as long as you don't have anybody who has major AP. I have never played 6 but I wouldn't be afraid to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
Make sure you play through a 3 player solo game (where you take all three sides) on your own before teaching.

This. Do Not sit down with a bunch of new players for a game that you haven't even played yourself. You need to at least have played through most of a game by yourself so you can be comfortable with the rules and the flow of the game. When explaining any game you should be referencing the rule book as little as possible.

To go along with what others have pointed out as common mistakes by newbies, the last time I had a game full of new players, one of them would have won the game if she hadn't confused the icons for blush wine with red wine on a contract. She had the resources to make blush wines and could have used her last couple turns to do it, had she recognized the icons on the card properly.

Yes, the game will take a while with 6 new players. Possibly a couple hours, depending on the players. I've seen games go longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo that with 6 players, mostly newbies, the game will take 2 or more hours, despite the 1.5hrs written on the box. You'll get down to 1.5hrs for 6 players once people know what they're doing.

With 2-4 players you can easily knock out a game in an hour, even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to everyone for the tips.

I was well prepared, read all the rules and made my own teaching notes (I like to be prepared). It ended up going fine and we even managed to start playing the game with Tuscany map (1st module) too. To bad the game went too long (3 hours) and we couldn't finish before someone had to catch the last train home. All in all I am happy with the session and would definitely bring the game to the group again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.