GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Which theme for my game most interests you?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Crow
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone! I am writing this in a cafe in Sri Lanka with reeeeally bad wifi, so forgive me for throwing this all at you in one post. I have been working on a cooperative story driven campaign game for a while and can't move forward until I nail down a theme.

The general overview is that you and your fellow players are crew members on a ship. Your overall objective is to capture beasts, which you will use to overthrow the oppressive government. There will also be a rival AI clan capturing these beasts for the oppressive government. You can freely travel to towns to buy equipment, ship upgrades, houses to gain rental income and even enter your captured beasts into racing and fighting competitions. The longer you stay in these towns, the closer your rivals get to capturing the next beast before you. Once you are ready, travel to the mission location, and start the next scenario. But be careful, traveling may trigger events which can cause unforeseen delays, pushing your rivals that much ahead.

Rewards for completing these story missions will not only include capturing beasts, but also unlocking new characters, gear and even ships.

Game mechanics include action point allowance, dice rolling, variable player powers, and area movement. Not to mention a whole lot of cards and paper.

So, now that you have an overview, the real question at hand is which theme fits best.

Option 1: An alternative space history theme! Im talking space pirates, samurai, vikings and other ancient civilizations and mythology in a futuristic setting. Capture alien beasts, upgrade your space ships, and travel an uncharted galaxy.

Option 2: A fantasy pirate theme! Travel to islands and capture mythological beasts! Uprgrade your ship! Gain crew from various nations. Gather intel in taverns, and sail through horrific storms!

Anyway, you guys are the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Poll
Which theme for my game most interests you?
Space Pirates! Flying to planets and capturing alien beasts!
Fantasy Pirates! Sailing to islands and capturing mythological beasts!
      77 answers
Poll created by kcrow8516

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy pirates for me. I don't go for futuristic stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a fan of Ulysses 31, I like the idea of space with classical feel. I think there is more to draw upon by having both settings (if done right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer space, but either one could be good. The stumbling block for me is the last clause of your pitch:

You're the crew of a ship flying around capturing giant beasts that you will use to overthrow the oppressive government. I get that you might want beasts to sell to a Roman-style Coliseum master, but capturing beasts to overthrow the government is a really strange side element that I'm not sure will really advance the theme, unless there's a final war sequence in which you're riding your giant elephants or whatnot into battle.

Just first reactions. I love weird themes, though, so keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Both space and fantasy are overdone. I am tired of both. Its time for pirates in new contexts.

How about pirates in the Mediterranean in Roman times?

How about pirates in the great lakes in modern times?

How about pirates in the sewer system of Paris in 1900?

etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote Space Pirates.

Treasure Planet is my number one favorite animated movie of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been long enough... Somalian Pirates is the theme you're looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Aubrey
msg tools
Controversial - but it sounds like a slave trade game to me. Replace the word beasts with Slave and you pretty much have it. (and no i am not suggesting that slaves are beasts - it is just the word replacement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I did vote on this poll, I will admit that the 30 second explanation of the game does not generate any interest for me at all. Capturing beasts to overthrow an oppressive government? That sounds utterly absurd. I hope that you are able to make your game and that others are willing to buy it. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Crow
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb

"unless there's a final war sequence in which you're riding your giant elephants or whatnot into battle."

That was the general idea! Storming a castle with beasts as your ally. Thanks for the feedback. I actually don't disagree with you. But the end goal seemed to need more substance than simply beating out your rival. Perhaps simply fighting your rival at the end would be enough. I would have to change quite a bit in the overall story, but it would simplify things and that seems to be people's main gripe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1 instantly transported me to the movie Time Bandits.

Edit: It is slightly confusing that you reversed the order of the options in the poll from what you originally wrote. To be clear, I mean the Space Pirates reminded me of Time Bandits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the "mythological beasts" part, because mythological beasts *were* caught and killed for their magical or whatever properties, such as the Nemean Lion Skin, Golden Fleece, Medusa Head, etc.

Would a "Labor of Hercules" or "Jason and the Argonauts" theme work better? You and your brother are rival kings who threaten to cause a civil war. Your father sends you and your select group of men on a series of trials, etc. etc. Whoever does blah de blah blah is crowned the new ruler.

Of course, mind you, the publisher is going to slap on a new theme and make it all dwarves and orcs. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is currently obsessed with greek and roman mythology so I would be more inclined to take a look at the fantasy version if it included those kind of elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm equally okay with both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should combine them, so the fantasy pirates are in spaceships gathering mythological beasts on planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates don't overthrow governments? Usurped and rightful heirs might?

Captured beasts sound like they might be a little bit oppressed themselves, first thing I do as a captured beast is overthrow my oppressor (ie, you) not my oppressor's oppressor. Unless there is a whole brainwashing minigame perhaps?

Using the monsters to attack another pirates fort, I'm good with. Being a usurped Prince who rallies monsters to his cause I'm good with, but the whole oppression aspect is bizarre.

Overall, it's going to depend on the quality of the art. If you do the Space one it's going to have to be such high quality. The fantasy one you can probably get by with less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like option #2 the best. It would be weird having an alternative space theme with Vikings and Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer boats to spaceships because an ocean is flat like a gameboard and space is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Regala
Philippines
Manila
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
I voted for the pirates but personally if we're gonna go over the top why not make it space pirates that capture mythological creatures? I'd definitely want to overthrow whatever oppressive government it is while riding a sandworm while I am flocked with harpies or somesuch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.