GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Starting RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Michael Dominguez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get into the RPG world, and I was wondering what would be a good RPG to start with? I want one that is going to be easy to follow and grasp. I'm pretty good with any theme since I like all kinds of theme just want to dip my tow in the RPG world. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet would be to post this over at RPG Geek.

However, I personally recommend Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition. Another system that is supposed be really simple to use is the F.A.T.E. system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
head over to the rpg side of this site, they were super helpful when I asked
https://rpggeek.com/thread/1759050/not-rpgs-yet-where-would-...

or are you looking for a board game RPG middle ground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Ars Magica all the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Starter Set for 5th Edition D&D has everything you need and is relatively inexpensive. Larger ruleset is free online if you want to check it out ahead of time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Jackson GURPS. Generic universal role playing system. Easy rules, works in every setting/world. Lots of content if wanted. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
The Starter Set for 5th Edition D&D has everything you need and is relatively inexpensive. Larger ruleset is free online if you want to check it out ahead of time...

Not my favorite game, but I agree with this. Plus it is by far the most widely played and you should have no trouble finding both support for questions and a group with whom to play.

Savage Worlds is another popular (and somewhat lighter) game, and also has a free quickstart online (from the menu on the right side of this page). The main rules are generic, but there are many setting and genre books for whatever kind of game you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron F
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I very much enjoy 5th-Edition D&D, Savage Worlds, and the World of Darkness systems. Godlike is fun, too. It sort of depends on the playgroup you have, and how "realistic" you like your games in terms of the damage a player character can absorb/dish out relative to NPCs.

You're about to embark on a fun adventure no matter which direction you choose, though! Good luck with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what others have said above, it may not be my personal favorite RPG but it's kind of hard to beat D&D as a point-of-entry for most folks. I suggest the current 5th Edition. The core rules are available free online through the official website. The Starter Set is a great first step and inexpensive. It comes with a rulebook and adventure book to teach and inspire a new Dungeon Master. It also has a set of dice and sample characters, so there's that.

The reason I recommend D&D is that tropes should be familiar enough in general gamer culture to grasp (because most of that culture has, in turn, been inspired by D&D). Warriors, wizards, goblins, gold, adventure. The rules of the current (5th) edition, while not the simplest ever in the history of RPGs, are pretty straight-forward and intuitive and are definitely paired down compared to earlier editions. This is a good thing in my book and especially for new-ish players because it's more inviting and less intimidating to get into...especially if you're going to be a Dungeon Master.

It's also a good choice because you'll certainly have an easier time finding others who play the current edition(s) of D&D versus most other RPGs. Sad as it makes me, it's much easier to recruit players for a game of D&D than it is for a game of Judge Dredd, Lacuna or Marvel Super Heroes.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a starter, I would go with Fiasco (which has a tabletop episode). The rules are easy, as long as everyone is cool with the theme, you are in. I suggest watching the tabletop video first here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJxQ0NbFtk
It is a fantastic game, and is perfect for introducing people into RPGs who have never played before.

You could also go with The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen which is wonderful, easy to learn and short. You can see it played here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPW2ORbbiI

I have heard good things about Dungeon World. The Fate Core system is also apparently really easy. The rules for these are heavier than the first two I mentioned though.

As much as I love D&D, I would suggest staying away from that and going with one of the first two I mentioned. D&D despite being quite streamlined with the new 5th Edition, is still heavy rules wise. Still, D&D is awesome, and I would suggest it to anyone. It's great if you can find a DM willing to run a game for you to get you into it rather than reading all the rules to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first question that should be asked is...

Do you want to play an RPG board game (i.e. dungeon crawler or something similar) or an actual roleplaying game?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael Dominguez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm sorry I mean't an actual RPG. I have played Wrath of Ashardalon and Imperial assault, but I was interested in trying something new. I'm also interested because I am a teacher who modifies board games for my classroom and I wanted to incorporate an RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael Dominguez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I will check these videos out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hart
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I would also look at Mouse Guard as it is pretty easy to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
DnD 5th edition starter box is really a great place to start. It has everything you need to play. The biggest difficulty will probably be for the GM, so whoever is GMing should be pretty familiar with the adventure, and at least read the rulebook (the one that comes with the starter set) before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mb
I can agree with the suggestions of trying (current) 5th edition D&D, Savage Worlds, or Mouse Guard. They can all be kept fairly simple and go the traditional route of one person running the adventures and several players with characters. Mouse Guard is especially simple.

Fiasco is a great RPG for short scenarios and playing without a dedicated game master. It's not a game for long-term character development or connected adventures, though.

I'd like to toss Castles & Crusades into the ring as another option. It essentially takes the best of 1st & 2nd edition D&D into a streamlined system that is great for fast & easy roleplaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallawalla4591 wrote:
I know I'm sorry I mean't an actual RPG. I have played Wrath of Ashardalon and Imperial assault, but I was interested in trying something new. I'm also interested because I am a teacher who modifies board games for my classroom and I wanted to incorporate an RPG.

To me, that's a pretty critical piece of info that could skew answers differently.

As others have said, D&D is probably a great, common starting point, especially if you're planning on incorporating it into a school setting (the name recognition alone is advantageous). My understanding is that you can get the "starter set" for the current edition on Amazon for $13. Kinda hard to beat that, since it also includes dice.

HOWEVER; D&D and many others do have a tendency to, as a default, reward violent conflict as a problem solving method. Heroism by way of kicking ass. If you're considering bringing RPGs into a school setting, you need to be prepared for the potential of either pushback from parents, or as an educator, needing to encourage alternative methods to overcoming challenges.

Depending on your age-range, there's plenty of kid-friendly RPGs out there which don't -as a baseline- emphasize or support ass kicking to overcome conflicts. The trade off is that these titles can range from great to not-so-great. Most of them will suffer from a complete lack of name recognition, for better or worse.

Random other things to consider -

Yes, there's a free "basic D&D" available online, but IMO it's not geared towards an RPG or D&D newbie. I would spend your $13, read and grok the starter set, then maybe toe-dip into the free PDF if you're unwilling to spend more cash.

Stay away from Pathfinder or the previous 3E, 3.5, or 4th editions of D&D. Yes, they have their selling points and fanbase, but for a complete RPG novice teaching other novices... you don't want to be there. Trust me.

Fantasy Flight Games makes a Star Wars RPG, which will give you as benefit of a setting people will immediately recognize. Like D&D, SW has a "starter set." My own experience with FFG's SW has been a mixed bag, mostly due to the dice and resolution mechanics, but if you and your potential group are visually-oriented you shouldn't have a big problem.

In that vein (ie. games that aren't D&D or derivative of D&D that have identifiable settings), there's also:

The One Ring (an RPG in the Lord of the Rings Universe)
Doctor Who
My Little Pony
and more

You might also get some use out of this geeklist:

https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47577/rpgs-kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With no more information to go on, 5th edition D&D. Its easy to get into, has enough depth and has pretty flexible but solid rules. Finding people to play is very easy. I'd say its one of the best entry points into the hobby.

Now, some options based on personal preferences. My favorite game, savage worlds has a very tight and tactical combat system. It has strong support for miniatures and is almost board gamey. It is also a bit swingy, but that often leads to dramatic combat more often than frustration.

It you want to Just tell a story with friends, I'd suggest fate. The stats are abstracted and everyone contributes to the storyline. I love this game for doing very cinematic themes like anime.

Dungeon world/apocalypse world is a very light game that has rules that make you a better GM baked in. It is also very story driven.

If character customization is your favorite aspect and don't mind some complexity, Pathfinder and Mutants and Masterminds are really good options. Pathfinder works well out of the box and there is a lot of material to add options, it has a lot of in play mechanics track. M&M is very streamlined in play but characters are built from scratch and it is a complex process.

Those are my favorite games mechanically, I have others based on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.