GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,019 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Waterloo 200» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using artillery :as support or engaged ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
I don't understand the philosophy behind the rules about artillery...

I don't understand why an artillery unit in support takes hits, and why this is not the case for engaged artillery ?

Same question for leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

not exactly.

Engaged Artillery and Leaders not only can take hits, they can also be eliminated.

This is not possible if they are not directly engaged in the battle. In other words to eliminate an Artillery or Leader you have to engagé it.

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
thank you for your answer

But in combat artillery is rarely hit, because (choice of players) infantry and cavalry are hit first.

In the other hand, artillery in support are automatically hit.
That sounds strange to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
When supporting a Combat, artillery is not hit, but it is reduced after the combat.

This simulates both that the crew is experiencing fatigue by manouvering the pieces over a terrain which was wet (at Waterloo on June 18, 1815 the terrain was wet due to heavy rain, and Napoelon had to postpone the battle till noon) and that the guns are consuming ammo.

Otherwise Napoleon could have fought (and maybe won) the battle just using his artillery supremacy.

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.