GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wing Leader: Victories 1940-1942» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Must" attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

I'm new to the game, and am currently reading through the v2.0 rulebook before doing anything else. I just hit this sentence and wonder how to interpret it:

"Fighter squadrons that occupy the same square as the target of their tally must attack in the Combat Phase."

Is that to be interpreted as:
"Fighter squadrons that occupy the same square as the target of their tally must attack."

Or, as:
"When fighter squadrons ... attack their target, it must be in the Combat Phase"?

Why it's a question:
1) Is there any other phase during which Fighter squadrons can attack?
2) Because if the correct interpretation is the latter, then that's 100% redundant to the immediately preceding paragraph which reads:
"Air combat takes place in the Combat Phase when squadrons occupy the same square as a target they have tallied."
And redundancy of this nature is contrary to the style of the way the rulebook is written.

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand the rule, the first interpretation is correct.
Redundancy is only apparent, as the two paragraphs state different things:

1. First paragraph defines a combat (same square, one squadron having tally on the other) ans specifically limit combat to the Combat Phase.

2. Second paragraph assign a fighter squadron to attack (and not move or something) when in the same square as its target. This may be underlined as a special case because tallying squadron have free movement EXCEPT when they are in this same square as their target (9.2.7).

Hope it helps!
This is a great game, I hope you will enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the reply. I had to go back and edit my OP as I realized that it's my latter option which is redundant to the paragraph previous to it. (I originally wrote that my first option was redundant, which is wrong).

So again, here are the two (what I believe to be) redundant sentences from the same rule:

1st paragraph:
"Air combat takes place in the Combat Phase when squadrons occupy the same square as a target they have tallied."

2nd paragraph:
"Fighter squadrons that occupy the same square as the target of their tally must attack in the Combat Phase."

The redundancy perceived on my part is why it presented itself as an interpretation issue to me, and why I think that the "must" means that a tallying squadron must attack (i.e., no option). It seems you agree with this interpretation as well.

But I'm curious that you say the redundancy is only apparent. I'll definitely have to study the two paragraphs a little more closely! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be difficult to understand what I clumsily try to write in broken English (not to say what I try to say is clear to begin with blush )

According to me, first paragraph answers the question "what is a combat, when does it takes place, who can be involved".

Second paragraph answer the following question "is combat mandatory" and points that Free Movement (9.2.7) does not apply when in the same square as the target.

In other words, "must" applies to "attack" and not to "in the Combat Phase". It enhances the "when" of the first paragraph, meaning "must takes place when" rather than "may take place when".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Charles is broadly right. The rule goes from the general to the specific. The first para is a general description that states when combat takes place and the broad conditions. The second is more specific, in that it emphasises that the combat is mandatory, and that it requires fighter squadrons to attack.

Maybe there's a way of combining these sentiments in a smoother fashion. But it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Charles & Lee,

Thank you both for your replies! And Charles, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your English! You write better than a large portion of the population here in the US!

And Lee, thanks for jumping in to confirm the answer. The way you put it is pretty much what I was also thinking, and is why I assumed that "must" means "must attack". But the structure of the sentence left enough wiggle room to be uncertain.

And I must add that the v2.0 rulebook is otherwise a masterpiece of organization and clarity! It's very well organized, indexed, and noted with informative comments and examples. It achieves a state of clarity which causes me to be frustrated with other rulebooks that don't live up to this level.

I even chuckled that you bothered to include a comment about the style of English used for the writing. When I saw that, I knew I was going to enjoy the thoroughness of the content. And you delivered! The subject of this post is the only question I had from the reading the rules, whereas I usually have 4 or more questions after my first read-through of any rulebook. Much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.