GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,567 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Picket innate +1, does it only refer to def dice rolled at start of battle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Picket's innate +1 only refer to the shield dice rolled at the beginning of combat?
My assumption is that it does.

Or can you place any rolled shield dice in the locked slots during the battle ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is he can put ANY rolled DEF dice into the locked slots!

Pretty awesome ability in the right circumstances!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ryan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way it reads is "In addition to Shield Wall..." This means that including the ability Shield Wall gives you, you get to do this...

Which the "this" part is that you get to place defense dice in your locked position, which says nothing about only applying to Shield Wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
My understanding is he can put ANY rolled DEF dice into the locked slots!

Pretty awesome ability in the right circumstances!

I just find the wording on the reference sheet to imply that it only adds to shield wall.

Since it says in addition to shield wall, which only places dice in active slot, that you can now also place them in locked slots!?
If the Gearloc Wall had said.... "may also put any rolled DEF in locked slots" I would be more confident it means what you're saying.
Not saying you're wrong though, I'm just confused about the wording of Gearloc Wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dumas
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it is that at innate +1 Picket gets two abilities he can automatically do

1- Picket can perform a shield wall, which allows him to roll his defense dice at the start of battle and place the rolled defense in his active slots.

and

2 - Picket can also put any rolled defense dice in his Locked slots (in addition to his active slots.

I don't read innate + 1 to be a continuation of the innate skill, but rather another skill added in addition to his innate skill. He can of course use the innate + 1 skill with his innate skill, so when performing shield wall he can put the rolled defense dice in either his active slots or his locked slots. But he can also put any other rolled defense dice in the locked slots as well later in the battle.

I think what makes me read it different Nosferatu is that it says, "In addition to his Shield Wall benefits, Picket may..." It does say the "in addition to.." part you pointed out, but if you keep reading it it is saying in addition to doing this skill (shield wall) you can also do this skill (place def in locked slots). I would think it would read something like "When performing a shield wall picket may put rolled def in locked slots as well as active slots". Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Gearlocs (like Patches) have an Innate +1 that replaces their original Innate ability. This is just trying to say that it's an additional ability and you can still use the Shield Wall as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.