GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best 2 player RPG for beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel​ Venn
Cambodia
flag msg tools
My step son, 9, and I are keen to start playing some RPG games. I've played many on gaming consoles, but nothing really on a board. I've looked into D&D Starter Set, Pathfinder (S&S seems to be a favourite of gamers) and Shadows of Brimstone. All seem able to play 2 player, though which is the best? Also, am I correct in assuming a DM plays only as a DM, and cannot be a hero? I'd like us to go through the game together as a pair of heroes, and not one player as hero and one player as protagonist.

Any help appreciated, and any other recommendations are greatly welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about it, or how it is with two, but maybe check out the Mouse Guard RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouse Guard is really great, also check out FATE Core. It's a great system and friendly to those learning role-playing games for the first time.

Generally role-playing games are played with a minimum of three people, one person playing the DM and then the others as player characters. The sweet spot for RPG's is really a group of four or five where one of them is the DM. Amongst the reasons for this is that while the narrative for the RPG itself is very important and compelling the relationships between the player characters really grow and lead to exciting depth and discoveries. One player as DM can lead another single player in an adventure, I've done this with my niece Playing the rpg Lil' Wizards.

Shadows of brimstone, at least here on BGG we would generally call a dungeon crawl, and he's games have some similarities to an RPG they use figures there's some exploration there is leveling up and equipment, but shadows of brimstone and dungeon crawlers are still very much board games. And as board games they differ a great deal from role-playing games. There are great dungeon crawl board games for two players you might look into these, mice and mystics might serve well, really there's a host of dungeon crawl games out there that you could look at. ( you could also go back on kick starter GloomHaven right now, it's a worthy investment, but I digress.)

If you're really looking for role playing games, you might check out boardgame geek's sister site RPGgeek.com

If it sounds more like a dungeon crawl board game is what you are looking for, you'll find a lot of threads that look at this genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally a lot of local game stores have D&D and Pathfinder events where they have people who are DM-Ing introductory scenarios four people new to role-playing games. I would really encourage you to try to attend one or some of these. RPG's can be difficult to really understand how they play and work if you have not been introduced by others who play. And having such an introduction would clarify a great deal as to if you really want to find a role playing game or if you're more interested in a somatic board game. Additionally playing an RPG it at your local game store will give you some resources for finding more out about all these types of games and what you might like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest going to the RPG area of the site and posting this in the forums there under "General Role Playing":
https://rpggeek.com/forums/region/2/rpg

This area of the site is more for board games. If you ever want to find it again you just click on the "RPGs" at the top of the screen next to "Board Games" and then click on the forums there. The people there usually have great suggestions for all things RPGs. Some people in this section of the site will know about RPGs too, but you'll have an easier time in the RPG area.

Also, in case you are looking for a board game which is not an RPG, but you get the same kind of combat you do from an RPG, then you could check out:
Mice and Mystics
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (there are other D&D type board games as well)
These games don't have roleplaying in them, they are board games. But they have battles and possibly choices to make in them. I have not played any of them myself, but I have heard about them.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe get the Dungeon & Dragons Starter kit. It comes with everything you need and you can play a session without burning too much money and see if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon World is perfect if you can learn it from another person rather than from the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel​ Venn
Cambodia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your time and energy in sharing all of this information with me. I have done a bit of research and now understand more clearly what it is that an RPG actually is. (I thought that I had it down, but alas).

So it seems I'm more interested in a dungeon crawler, or something similar. Mice and Mystics looks awesome. I'll look deeper into that. Thanks again everyone, you've set me on my path
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics seems like a great choice.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.