Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zach here. Reddit is down, and I have nothing better to do so why not get this little pre-discussion thread going?

This Monday, we will be reviewing Clank! A Deck-Building Adventure, Designed by Paul Dennen and Published by Renegade Game Studios.

This deck-builder changes up the formula a bit, by adding an actual board to interact with. Each player inhabits an adventurer who is just super greedy, and decided to go into a dangerous mountain lair, filled with dragon treasure to fulfill their lust for that bling. Obviously the dragon is not a fan of this blatant disregard of "personal" property, and will lash out at anyone it can hear. Can you make it down to the depths of this maze of misery and make it back with the best loot? Or will you die in a cold, damp, crystally, crystal cavern, lost to time itself? I'd suggest you get that loot and run, but hey, you do you.

Now, in the review, we will also be referencing the expansion, Clank! Sunken Treasures, which adds another double-sided board that adds water. Not literally water, mind you, that is going to soak right up into that cardboard and cause it to warp like no one's business. This water will cause your character to take damage if you spend your entire turn in it. Because of the lack of oxygen. I mean, there IS oxygen in water, it's the O part of H2O afterall, but your adventurer is not - nevermind this is going nowhere.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, puns, etc., please bring them up here and we will talk about them on the show. If you put something up AFTER the show, we will try and get it on the next one. After that, I can't promise anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Clank! once, and decided my strategy would be to rush in and rush out after getting the closest treasure. I succeeded. And then I sat around and watched three other people take five more turns each, which took a good while. Two of them beat me handily, and one died in the depths.

Now of course, the next time I play, I won't try that again. Hell, I wouldn't try it again even if I had won using that strategy, because it's just not fun watching others get five more turns while you're already out of the dungeon.

So while I did appreciate the design of the game (especially what it did to rejuvenate deckbuilding), and want to play it again, I feel it should be noted that you can play "wrong" in the sense that the rush strategy will a) lose you the game, and b) have you sitting around watching others play without you for the last third of the game. This is not a knock on the game overall -- it was obviously a bad strategy on my part -- it's just something I felt worth mentioning, especially for people that haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike some games I - I DO give a few tips when teaching this game. I usually make a point to folks I'm teaching that a rush technique is not a usual winning strategic move because others can usually get more points staying deep longer, I also encourage people to buy movement cards early and often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillier937 wrote:
Unlike some games I - I DO give a few tips when teaching this game. I usually make a point to folks I'm teaching that a rush technique is not a usual winning strategic move because others can usually get more points staying deep longer, I also encourage people to buy movement cards early and often.

This is one of the many reasons Patrick is good people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillier937 wrote:
Have you played the expansion?

We have played with some of the expansion cards, but not the board yet. Will be getting a play through on tabletop day and hopefully Sunday as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually ask new people why they did what they did. If they give me something along the lines of "because i don't know what is going on", then I will try and give them some advice. But if they actually give me a sound reason, then I'll let them continue it. After the game, I might try and give them some advice, but if they want to try and work it out, who am I to stop them? Now if someone does an idiotic move, I will just say, "Don't do that, it's stupid."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Van de Casteele
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet. After a few games do you feel like you have a set strategy, or do you have to adjust to the cards that come out?

Have you guys tried it out solo? I feel like I've heard Patrick talk about it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.