GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,415 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you block Lashback ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can active shields be used to block Lashback or is Lashback considered true damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 17 the rulebook says:

Quote:
Damage Types
- Damage (Dmg)
Can be blocked by Def Dice or Skill: Thick Skin.
- True Damage (True Dmg)
Ignores Def Dice and Skill: Thick Skin.

and on page 9:
Quote:

The total [#] of in your Active slots is the [#] Atk Dmg you may prevent. Decrease by this
amount.

And the adventuring guide says:
Quote:

If hit by an adjacent opposing unit, this unit will immediately do #Dmg back.

Because of that I would answer your question with NO, because Atk Dmg happens only when attack dice are rolled. Skills and BP are not considered to be "ATK DMG".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes it unclear for me is that, as you mention, the rules say that Atk damage can be blocked by defense dice but Lashback only say that it will do damage back without specifying if it's Atk or true damage.

I beleive I've also seen it mentioned that BP and skills aren't considered Atk damage but I don't recall seeing it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm...
no sure that
Angie666 wrote:
Quote:

The total [#] of in your Active slots is the [#] Atk Dmg you may prevent. Decrease by this
amount.

exclude the lashback cant be block with def dice.

As you pointed lashback reads takes #dmg back, but nowhere it says is true dmg. and under damage definition as you point out, it says damage can be block by def dice, it does not says that it has to come from att damage

This said, we are playing as such based also on rule on p9. But I`m still not sure that is clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Brayton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
The rules posted make it clear def dice can block lashback dmg. This is also answered in a couple other threads. I you have active def dice they can block the dmg done by lashback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... between lashback being block by DEF dice, and only trigger by ATT dice.. this starting to sound like a easy skill to avoid... though it could force the use of skill on some gearlocks.

I would really some official confirmation on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khatoo wrote:
The rules posted make it clear def dice can block lashback dmg. This is also answered in a couple other threads. I you have active def dice they can block the dmg done by lashback.

This is my interpretation as well and how I've played it but I wasn't sure if it was meant to work differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael G
msg tools
Yes, I agree this was a confusing answer and needs to be, if not already put in a FAQ.

Anyhow it has been clarified by CTG that you can indeed block it with your defence dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObadiahBane wrote:
Yes, I agree this was a confusing answer and needs to be, if not already put in a FAQ.

Anyhow it has been clarified by CTG that you can indeed block it with your defence dice.

Ok, that is good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
hmm... between lashback being block by DEF dice, and only trigger by ATT dice.. this starting to sound like a easy skill to avoid... though it could force the use of skill on some gearlocks.

It's whether you want to avoid it or not that's the question. Spending defence on lashback means less defence until your next turn, depending what else is on the board that may not be a good idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, spending defense dice is not optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, p.9:
Quote:
Def Dice must be used for all incoming Dmg (except True Dmg) first before removing HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.