Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck thinning games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm searching for deck-thinning games. I think, I've heard the term on some blog or podcast - but when I search for it (on BGG or a BGG-specific google search) I only find threads about deck-building games where people talk about the thinning aspect.

What I'm after are games where you start with a bigger deck and primarily need to get rid of some in order to win.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings (and its two sequels)

Even though you're still building up a deck during the game, by the end of the game in order to win you have to get rid of as many cards as you can.

Sorry, can't come up with any game where you actually start with a bigger deck and you're only focused on thinning it out.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it doesn't have to be thinning only, but primarily. Start with many, end with a few in order to win.

Will have a look at VotK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
You may enjoy Flamme Rouge. It's a hand-management game that is driven by the thinning of your hand - when a card is played, it is out for the entire game. Depending on what variant you are playing, how you are playing or how other racers are playing, you will be thinning your hand differently each time. I've played it solo and up to 8P and love it at multiple gameplays, though I think it works best at 1-3P. Xenon Profiteer may be what you're after as well and it's done by the excellent TC Petty III (whose Club Zen I'm loving and hope gets published this year). It's the traditional 'deck thinning' game of the last few years but watch out for the infinite loop that you can stumble into if you follow the rules!

If you're looking for actual card games (with the standard 52 deck), you may enjoy Palace. We love it at 2-3P and the whole goal is to think your deck, though possibly expanding it every so often in order to get strategic cards (or just by someone else's better playing). There's a whole genre of card games that are called "Shedding Games", so you may want to check out the Shedding List. However, you may be looking for some more modern board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenon Profiteer, perhaps
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuji Flush

BTW, that's listed in the Shedding Games family. Maybe have a look there for more ideas.

Hope that helps!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2015 p&p contest game Mind Masters had all players start with the same deck and trash it wisely.

I highly recommend it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You won't win Friday (if you're open to a solitaire game) if you don't get rid of many starting cards from your deck.

Also see Rune Age.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In Sylvion (primarily a solo game), first you draft the cards for your deck, then for the rest of the game you have to strategically remove cards as certain other cards get played or when you have to re-shuffle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
In Sylvion (primarily a solo game), first you draft the cards for your deck, then for the rest of the game you have to strategically remove cards as certain other cards get played or when you have to re-shuffle.


That's more of a penalty though, not something you need to do in order to score better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In Onirim you are running through a deck trying to open doors before you are out of cards. This might be something to look at.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
Fuji Flush

BTW, that's listed in the Shedding Games family. Maybe have a look there for more ideas.

Hope that helps!

Bingo, Fuji Flush was the first one that came to mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric V
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Xenon Profiteer. The deck-thinning mechanism is perfect for the theme, which is distilling elements from air.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Neddie Knickers
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
BRRRD EMPR-RR
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fürstenfeld
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday (although it is a solo game)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TB
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try Dale of merchants. Dale of merchants 2.

While not a deck thinner you have a very lean deck throughout the game. You have to build a market by removing cards from your deck. It's an interesting balance as you trade off losing good cards to win the game. Plus it's a race to beat the other players. Games are quick. The theme isn't for everyone. I think it's very thematic if you lived in an animal world. It's a clever take on deck building.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
EricTheFed wrote:
+1 for Xenon Profiteer. The deck-thinning mechanism is perfect for the theme, which is distilling elements from air.


It's a great game as long as you houserule the infinite loop bug. We just resolve cards first because twice we've played this at my friend's and found ourselves in game-breaking territory. By no way is it a huge deal, of course and we love the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Friday, Valley of the Kings, and Xenon Profiteer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Xenon Profiteer is actually very close to what I was looking for. Maybe it was even the game I heard the term "deck-thinning" used for. To be honest, I'm thinking of a distillation game (Gin theme), so this is very interesting.

Will also have a look at Mind Masters.

Also my interest in Dale of Merchants was re-fuelled, though not for this project.

Fuji Flush and shedding games are not what I'm after.

If you've got more suggestions, I'm still interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric V
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugbydave wrote:
EricTheFed wrote:
+1 for Xenon Profiteer. The deck-thinning mechanism is perfect for the theme, which is distilling elements from air.


It's a great game as long as you houserule the infinite loop bug. We just resolve cards first because twice we've played this at my friend's and found ourselves in game-breaking territory. By no way is it a huge deal, of course and we love the game!

Yeah, I hadn't actually even noticed that bug until I saw the discussion here on BGG - we've just always played it that you resolve the card, then discard, like most card games. Aside from that rules error, excellent game. One of my favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
EricTheFed wrote:
Rugbydave wrote:
EricTheFed wrote:
+1 for Xenon Profiteer. The deck-thinning mechanism is perfect for the theme, which is distilling elements from air.


It's a great game as long as you houserule the infinite loop bug. We just resolve cards first because twice we've played this at my friend's and found ourselves in game-breaking territory. By no way is it a huge deal, of course and we love the game!

Yeah, I hadn't actually even noticed that bug until I saw the discussion here on BGG - we've just always played it that you resolve the card, then discard, like most card games. Aside from that rules error, excellent game. One of my favorites.


It happened to us twice before I did some research and found other people noticed the bug as well, but it's honestly such a non-thing for us. That said, I know for a lot of people, if it goes against the word of the official rules, they consider it broken. However, I would argue in this case, the solution is such a basic fix, that it's nowhere near a "bug". We just resolve cards and then discard!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.