Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

King of Tokyo: Power Up!» Forums » General

Subject: New edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Dwan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the new edition of this expansion work with the original base game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! It includes evolutions for all the characters, including Kraken and Cyber Bunny.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I already have the old edition of power up, should I still get this 2nd ed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no need, unless you want to own everything that's ever existed for KOT! Up to you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:
There's no need, unless you want to own everything that's ever existed for KOT! Up to you


Thank you for the prompt response! So I assume, the new edition only added duplicated cards in the new art format... right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also evolution cards for Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin, which are new characters in the 2nd edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weijie_88 wrote:
So I assume, the new edition only added duplicated cards in the new art format... right?


Hemlockaaa wrote:
Also evolution cards for Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin, which are new characters in the 2nd edition.

Correct!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Does the new edition have the same cover as the old one? Is there a way to easily tell the two apart?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ell131 wrote:
Does the new edition have the same cover as the old one? Is there a way to easily tell the two apart?

1st/Old looks like this:

2nd/New looks like this:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way for those that only own the 2nd edition material to purchase the Kraken and Cyber Bunny characters?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chestond wrote:
Is there any way for those that only own the 2nd edition material to purchase the Kraken and Cyber Bunny characters?

Nothing official/cheap.

Hunt down an old edition, find someone with the old edition willing to part with it.
(Reminder for those who may not know, they are legally barred from using the Cyber Bunny character, so you can ONLY get one from a 1st edition game)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually waiting for a response to pull the trigger on an old copy from ebay, so thanks!! Why the Cyber Bunny ban? Was that character trademarked elsewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Cyber Bunny in the kid's show Arthur. A successor to Bionic Bunny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chestond wrote:
Why the Cyber Bunny ban? Was that character trademarked elsewhere?


What we know:
*There was a legal case
*They cannot reprint the "Cyber Bunny" character (which is what prompted the Cyber Kitty/2nd Edition)
*They can sell off existing stock
*They can reprint the Evolution cards that say "Cyber Bunny" (no image)

That's about it.
No solid idea who brought the lawsuit, what country, or what it specifically concerns.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Walsh
Australia
St Leonards
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chestond wrote:
Is there any way for those that only own the 2nd edition material to purchase the Kraken and Cyber Bunny characters?


I wanted to know the reverse of this...
For those of us with the original game and PU pack will there be an option to order just the new characters and their PU cards?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stayunspoiled wrote:
chestond wrote:
Is there any way for those that only own the 2nd edition material to purchase the Kraken and Cyber Bunny characters?


I wanted to know the reverse of this...
For those of us with the original game and PU pack will there be an option to order just the new characters and their PU cards?

We're currently working on a compatibility pack that will include Space Penguin and Cyber Kitty + other things! No ETA at the moment.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

We're currently working on a compatibility pack that will include Space Penguin and Cyber Kitty + other things! No ETA at the moment.


I hope you don't forget the baby dino and also localized versions of that pack. *pretty please'...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:
stayunspoiled wrote:
chestond wrote:
Is there any way for those that only own the 2nd edition material to purchase the Kraken and Cyber Bunny characters?


I wanted to know the reverse of this...
For those of us with the original game and PU pack will there be an option to order just the new characters and their PU cards?

We're currently working on a compatibility pack that will include Space Penguin and Cyber Kitty + other things! No ETA at the moment.

Yes! Thanks Iello!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
There is a Cyber Bunny in the kid's show Arthur. A successor to Bionic Bunny.
There's also a Cyber Bunny in Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magical Carrot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
grarrrg wrote:
chestond wrote:
Why the Cyber Bunny ban? Was that character trademarked elsewhere?


What we know:
*There was a legal case
*They cannot reprint the "Cyber Bunny" character (which is what prompted the Cyber Kitty/2nd Edition)
*They can sell off existing stock
*They can reprint the Evolution cards that say "Cyber Bunny" (no image)

That's about it.
No solid idea who brought the lawsuit, what country, or what it specifically concerns.

My understanding is that it was a lawsuit between Iello and one of the artists, Benjamin Raynal. I don't know why I thought that, maybe I read it on his blog once, I don't remember. I don't know if all of the art is re-worked, but I'm pretty sure none of the hold-overs are his designs. I'm under the impression that some element of his contract held Cyber Bunny for a personal comic, or promised royalties or contracts for the expansions. I don't know. Grain of salt.

If Cyberbunny was the only problem, there's cheaper ways to re-place him in boxes than getting all new art assets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SinisterSamurai wrote:
If Cyberbunny was the only problem, there's cheaper ways to re-place him in boxes than getting all new art assets.

The have said that the original art was of lower quality, and as long as they had to replace some of it, they may as well update all of it.
Most all of this information is on the forums, just scattered about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
I don't know that it was a quality issue.

I read that the older art didn't translate well to the online app they were creating, so they redid all the art. That was one reason for the redo.

And I'd read that the issue with Cyberbunny was a copyright issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:
I don't know that it was a quality issue.

I read that the older art didn't translate well to the online app they were creating, so they redid all the art. That was one reason for the redo.

And I'd read that the issue with Cyberbunny was a copyright issue.

The primary issue was the Cyberbunny legal thing.
A secondary, unrelated, concern was that the original art wasn't of high enough quality for (good) digital implementation.

Since both issues occurred at similar times, they decided to kill two birds with one stone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.