Subject: Adding a Dummy pawn to a 3-4 player game. Any thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed by the extra layer of strategy of the Dummy in the 2 player game. Has anyone tried it with a 3-4 player game? Pros and Cons? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't - but that's because I don't actually like the dummy pawn. I get it's necessary for balance purposes in a two player game but meh. Of course, it might be too that I usually play with my wife and she's too nice to actually use the Pawn in a nasty way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Has anybody actually tried the 2-player game without a dummy pawn? How does it play?

The dummy pawn adds some difficult choices, but it also makes the game a bit more cut-throat, since either of the 2 players are in command of both their own pawn and the dummy pawn. It can get nasty, but like mentioned above, some may not want to play that aggressive, and not use the pawn that way. That being the case, is the dummy even necessary? Often we just jump it ahead a few spaces at a time to get it out of the way so it isn't taking up spaces we want to land on, which I think defeats its purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
Has anybody actually tried the 2-player game without a dummy pawn? How does it play?

The dummy pawn adds some difficult choices, but it also makes the game a bit more cut-throat, since either of the 2 players are in command of both their own pawn and the dummy pawn. It can get nasty, but like mentioned above, some may not want to play that aggressive, and not use the pawn that way. That being the case, is the dummy even necessary? Often we just jump it ahead a few spaces at a time to get it out of the way so it isn't taking up spaces we want to land on, which I think defeats its purpose.

I did once shortly after I first got the game by mistake. It makes for a pretty boring game - neither player has any reason to really skip ahead or fill pressured to move ahead, leaving each player to essentially alternate spaces down the entire length of the road. That also means that there are plenty of spaces of all types available to each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like cut throat games in general. There would be more tactical decisions with the dummy but I am still curious what would happen should a 3 or 4 player use one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls