Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Home rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doji Reju
msg tools
mb
Hi.
I still waiting for my DS copy and I think for about some home rules what can we use to make a game move attractive for play.
One of them is a "dropping item" after you kill an enemy - you can roll a two K6 dice to check for drop? For example: 8+ is a drop a common item or 12 is a better one. Then you can spend a souls to improve your skills and enjoy using items much faster.
I wasn't play this game yet as I sad,I'm still waiting for game but after reading so many disappointed reviews Steamforged Games Ltd or players have to do something to add a "new soul" for that game.

If you have any idea no hesitate to share them with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All life is of cosmic origin.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, kinda sucks we don't even have our copies and we are already trying to fix the game with house rules. Starting to regret backing. I will likely play with double souls half sparks as the devs suggested to cut grind.

I wish they just released this as an official variant in the rules. Not sure it would have helped with reviews, but it's possible. People seem to have a lot of problems with the games core encounter system.

I am waiting for a house rule set that lets you jump straight to bosses, and NG+ for mega bosses. I might play this game as just a boss battle game, but we will see if double souls 1/2 sparks makes the initial encounters a little less of a drog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be so quick to worry. Whilst there are some negative voices I've seen lots positive. MvM (although i admit to a little scepticism) and Eurogamer (who appeared to be playing with the SUSD guys, anyone confirm?) were both positive. There's a lot of fun being reported by people on a UK Facebook group.

The biggest negative appears to be in the balance between the less good grinding encounters and the much better boss fights). I suspect after a few plays and with familiarity that the grinding part will get considerably smoother and quicker and won't feel like it's badly paced at all. Most of the play through stuff I've seen is 75% lack of familiarity and padding.

Play it as it and after a few plays if you aren't sure there will be an abundance of fan made material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fair. I may run through as it is first time. I am just getting a little disheartened by reviews. Seems to be a common theme that the regular fights are a grind.

I just really want this game to be good. Starting to lose faith. I just have to wait and see though. Won't really know what's to my taste vs. other people's opinion until I get my hands on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players complain about the grind, yet the game is designed to be grinded.

In fact, to facilitate even more grind, there's the campaign mode where you can buy Sparks at 2 souls (per character) each. Each treasure card costs 2 souls but they can be sold for 1 soul, and all stat costs are doubled. So you're going through more than double the grind to equip the same amount of equipment, but because of the spark purchase you can just keep going.

If you want "grind-less" games, you will have to house rule. Here it comes.

Double reward, double trouble

This is for those that want to reduce the grind but maintains the same level of risks and difficulty.

- Each purchase costs 2 souls for 3 treasure cards.
- The cost of upgrading stats is halved.
- The cost of restoring Luck Tokens is doubled.
- Each death now requires TWO Sparks to resurrect. Resting still consumes one Spark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
From what I've seen it also looks like the more negative reviews were playing incorrectly anyway. They unknowingly house-ruled the game to be more grindy and the complained about it. Don't get too upset until you try the game yourself (with the proper rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What were they doing that was wrong? Just curious. I don't want to end up doing the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some houserules, at the mere "lightbulb" stage (= that may or may not actually work, we'll see):

- nerf the stats tier cost: from 2/4/8 to 1/3/6 (that is, from #14 souls total, to #10)

- expand the stamina/health bar: you may use a cube to mark the new additional spot and pay 2/4/8 for tier 1/2/3 that is, 11th 12th and 13th extra space, respectively

- the big one, rework the minion battle: simply prepare some cardboard squares 15x15mm or something (called "chits"), then write them down with the name of each chara and mob on the encounter; shuffle the chits in a (clean!) cupboard, pick & solve 1 chit at a time:
a) chara? then the player moves*/attacks as usual
b) mob? then perform its AI
after all chits have been drawn, one combat round is over; recover ONE stamina point per chara, +1 if you haven't been hit this round; finally re-shuffle the chits and another round begins; repeat till a) you or b) they are dead

- * no free first move: each step costs 1 stamina

- free drops per encounter: after you've completed an encounter, place a cube on it and roll a black die: if the die result is =/> than the total # of cubes, reveal a free treasure card

- no double souls gain, no sparks mods

Ideally, this will cut down the 1st-player/all-mobs/2nd-player/all-mobs... combat structure with a more interactive, impredictable round sequence (hopefully also faster and less grind-y: thanks to stats nerfing too).

The 1-stamina recovery (instead of 2) and stamina cost per movestep act as a balance; if you pull out of combat and don't get hit, your recovery is faster - as in the videogames.

Chances of a free treasure per encounter get lower after each combat to discourage grinding, but are there to "consolation prize-y" you for the involuntary one (e.g. - you're dead and HAVE TO come back).

EDIT:
of course, that's made for fun; I don't know if the "grinding problem" is true or not, having only seen videos & read reviews so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The grind is real, fairly dull and (unfortunatly) rather necessary.

It is made worse by RNG items and high stat requirements for the majority of items (most items have bafflingly high stat requirements).

It is what you spend around 70-80% of your playtime doing, all so you can enjoy some good to great boss fights for the other 20% of your play (boss fights are interesting and fun). I like fighting the basic enemies too; but after 3 or 4 times the novelty wears off...

And the game is looooooong, and not in a good/interesting way (double the listed playtime will not be uncommon).

I feel that items should have been separated based on stat requirements (allowing to get lower or highet stat gear, as appropriate) which would have a knock on effect of the grind not being quite as necessary (and reducing playtime).

Dont misunderstand me; there is a really enjoyable game in there, its just obscured by some really strange design decisions.

Any houserules I impliment will be to look at the items and split them. And/or reduce soul requirements (easiest 'fix'); this should sort playtime (there is no excuse for this game being 3-4 hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Boivin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the easiest way to cut the grind is doubling the souls gain per encounter and half the number of spark. If you don't reduce the number of spark the game could become easier if you want...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brufio11 wrote:
I think the easiest way to cut the grind is doubling the souls gain per encounter and half the number of spark. If you don't reduce the number of spark the game could become easier if you want...

I was thinking of playing this way or with an increasing reward for encounter difficulty. Also for item buys I might change it to you get to draw two, pick one and the other goes to to bottom of the draw pile. You might still end up with a hard decision between a decent low end item or a very good item you won't be able to use until you level up more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possible solution would be that SFG releases packs of cards with AI for common monsters. This way, the 'grinding monsters' would be more enticing to fight again and again.
This pack of cards could be released to coincide with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty F
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games so far (solo and 2 player) and does feel like fairly minor tweaks could help, although it's still a really good game imo... some potential ideas I've messed around with are:

Increasing the souls gained; having it as 2 per character + 1 per encounter level (having the harder encounters reward more is a good shout)

If you play the game solo the manual says to start with 16 souls, so perhaps have a decreasing starting pool of souls depending on player count:
16 for 1 player
12 for 2 pl
8 for 3 pl
4 for 4 pl (just hypothesising numbers - not play tested them as yet)

Drawing treasure from chests could be 2 cards per character instead of just 2 cards flat - either to keep all treasure drawn or to have a draw 2 keep 1 mechanic

When purchasing treasure draw 2 and keep 1

Use the "dash through" mechanic from the campaign rules in regular one-off scenarios (helps get back to the treasure bearing tile if needs be, or to a higher level encounter if using a rule that they yield more souls)

And to be fair I think just a couple of small adjustments would make quite a bit of difference without making the game massively easier. But having first 4 player game tomorrow so will know more then!!

UPDATE: creating a treasure "pool" is another way to go; flipping over, say, top 5 treasure cards to create a pool and when purchasing treasure having the option to purchase one of these or take the top card from the deck, hence increasing the chances of getting something useful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
Another possible solution would be that SFG releases packs of cards with AI for common monsters. This way, the 'grinding monsters' would be more enticing to fight again and again.

You could've just redraw encounter cards everytime you reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kern
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played my first game yesterday and had a lot of fun. It was 3 player. We just cleared all rooms and trief the Winged Knight one time. We would've needed to clear all rooms again to get better equip.

I think I will adjust the souls you get per encounter a little.
I stay with the 2 souls per player per encounter, but also i will give additional souls for the difficult level of the encounter cards. So if three players win an encounter with difficult 3, they get 6 souls (2per player) + 3 souls for the difficult of the encounter. So a total of 9 souls.
I hope that leveling up will become a bit faster and beating higher encounter cards a bit more rewarding.

Edit: Just saw that 2 posts above, someone suggested the exact same thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Chuck Singer)
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of some way to automate the grind of rooms already cleared. It's still in the percolate stage (come on US delivery!), but I was tinkering with the idea of this 'run-through' room idea. Say you beat a room and get a collective 8 damage clearing it. You could mark that room with 8 cubes, and now you can always 'run' it and collectively take 8 damage (+ a random die) without doing the fight again but collecting the reward as if you had cleared it. You could always actually replay the room to get a better score so your next "run" wouldn't be as damaging. The intent is that you 'learned' the encounter, so let's move on. I was hoping to find some way to remove the tedium of the grind, but still have it provide an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
My intention is for already completed encounters, to make them less time consuming, give every single action taken requiring dice roll, an extra dice. To signify experience and your character becoming more practiced at the encounter. If you normally roll 2 dice to attack, you will now roll 3 when you go do the encounter again. Then again if you repeat it a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottlauchlanford wrote:
I've played a couple of games so far (solo and 2 player) and does feel like fairly minor tweaks could help, although it's still a really good game imo... some potential ideas I've messed around with are:

Increasing the souls gained; having it as 2 per character + 1 per encounter level (having the harder encounters reward more is a good shout)

If you play the game solo the manual says to start with 16 souls, so perhaps have a decreasing starting pool of souls depending on player count:
16 for 1 player
12 for 2 pl
8 for 3 pl
4 for 4 pl (just hypothesising numbers - not play tested them as yet)

Drawing treasure from chests could be 2 cards per character instead of just 2 cards flat - either to keep all treasure drawn or to have a draw 2 keep 1 mechanic

When purchasing treasure draw 2 and keep 1

Use the "dash through" mechanic from the campaign rules in regular one-off scenarios (helps get back to the treasure bearing tile if needs be, or to a higher level encounter if using a rule that they yield more souls)

And to be fair I think just a couple of small adjustments would make quite a bit of difference without making the game massively easier. But having first 4 player game tomorrow so will know more then!!

UPDATE: creating a treasure "pool" is another way to go; flipping over, say, top 5 treasure cards to create a pool and when purchasing treasure having the option to purchase one of these or take the top card from the deck, hence increasing the chances of getting something useful...

I've thought of the same, but I'd like to implement them differently, namely:
* Each character adds 4 souls to the pool at the start.
* You acquire souls depending on the number and type of monster you defeat in every encounter, rather than the fixed 2/character. I think this makes sense, tougher encounters should be rewarded with more souls.
At the moment, I'm thinking along these sidelines:
- Each hollow grants 1 soul
- Each knight grants 2 souls
- Each Large hollow grants 3 souls
- Each sentinel grants 4 souls
In addition: each character that survived adds 1 soul to the pool. Yes, I think I'll try a variant where only after the whole party is defeated there's need to reset at the bonfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Henriques
msg tools
Echtalion wrote:

THIS. + A whole new rule set for the standard encounters.

Kinda looking forward to the inevitable 2nd edition of the game. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Hassgård
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blacklabel wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

Agreed! From what I'm reading here it honestly seems like the backers will be doing a lot of playtesting with feedback, rather than just playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any house rules updates? Anyone try out the suggestions here?

I played last night, wanted to use house rules but my friends are reluctant and unwilling. What resulted was a boring and grueling 5 hour fight up to the mini boss. 5 hours. Criminy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Any house rules updates? Anyone try out the suggestions here?

I played last night, wanted to use house rules but my friends are reluctant and unwilling. What resulted was a boring and grueling 5 hour fight up to the mini boss. 5 hours. Criminy.

Ugh, that's obscene. You have convinced me to play with double souls half sparks right out of the box.

How much of that 5 hours was overcoming learning curve? Did you explain to your friends what the reviews where saying about playtime and ... how grindy it has been hailed?

I am also interested if there are any other house rules that have turned out to be really good. If anyone has play tested some good ones, I would be happy to read session results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blacklabel wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

sadly...
finished reading the rulebook and well..

1. likely going to end up doing a table with more AI for mobs
2. DEFENTLY NO paying 1 soul for one random card that likely wont get to use (specially because we would be playing 2 player). so is reveal top X and pay 1 soul to get one of your like.
3. need to come with a way enemies drop souls / items.. some cool ideas here. Also very nice idea on the double souls / 1/2 sparks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bewildered
msg tools
Last playthrough we tried a draw 2 discard 1 approach to buying treasure (pay one soul, flip 2 cards, discard one, even if you want both). I found this made the game too easy so I'm thinking about a swap rule, where 3 or 4 treasure cards are discarded in order to draw a free one.
I also like the sound of double souls half sparks to simplify a game session

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I didn't have as much time to play so I wanted to gear up fast and hopefully get through a mini boss. I always do a 3 card market, but last night I drastically increased souls. 2 per encounter + number of enemies defeated.

Made it so I was able to go through the 4 encounters just once, no grind necessary. Still had deaths on the lvl2 encounter, because lets face it deaths come regardless of gear if the dice rolls are bad. I was able to upgrade my two heroes out of there starting gear and thought I had a chance to take on the gargoyles.

I was pretty excited, one round of encounters, no need for grinding. Ultimately though due to some poor dodge rolls I died twice quickly to the gargoyle and ran out of sparks.

Next time I play I'm going to run with the same rules for souls. I can't imagine the creators wanted a game that required resetting and grinding out the same 4 encounters over and over to just lvl and gear up to get to the half way point of the game. I still wish there was a way to address never having a larger health/stamina bar. It is very apparent this game didn't get enough play testing.

That being said I can't stop playing, even if I haven't found a ruleset for an ultimate experience yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.