Subject: Barricade? Any good stories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barricade is bad in my opinion, but maybe I haven't given it a chance. Any good uses for it yet? What is you best use for this card?

Firestarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collect a lot of monsters behind the barrikade and then just leave or throw a dynamite among them. Mass carnage!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the value of this card goes up in 3-4 player games where you have a ton of monsters running around. Not sure though - I don't think I've ever used it (though I love it thematically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
In the core set it wasn't bad for just using it for the skill icons. There are better options now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I suspect the value of this card goes up in 3-4 player games where you have a ton of monsters running around. Not sure though - I don't think I've ever used it (though I love it thematically).

Thing is in 3-4 player games you have enough diversity that people should really just be doing what they're good at. Which isn't crowd control for seekers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are a couple of specific points where it can be helpful, such as

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the end of Devourer Below, if you evade all the nasty cultists and rush into the Ritual Site. It would also be pretty funny in Curse of the Rougarou, as you could drop it on one of the Bayou locations to pin in the Rougarou.

but generally nobody in my group runs it, and through six campaigns I don't think I've ever found myself saying "Damn, if only we had a Barricade!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was thinking it would be helpful in
Blood on the Alter
but then I died before I could play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately Barricade only works on non-elites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
In the core set it wasn't bad for just using it for the skill icons. There are better options now though.

Yep. Back in the core set I think taking Barricade purely for the icons was totally reasonable. Now, Seekers have more decent cards than they can fit into a deck.

The event itself is really, really hard to use. And against the most dangerous enemies, elites, it obviously does absolutely nothing. I don't think it's playable now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
If there are more cards that attack adjacent locations or grab clues from adjacent locations I feel like it will get a lot more useful.

Or like if we ever get a long range support character that would still be useful sitting in the same place for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My only issue with it has been it doesn't work against Elites. Doesn't seem worth it since it doesn't stop elites from chasing you. Everytime I have wanted to play it, it has been because I don't want an elite monster chasing me down for a little bit while I prepare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I am sure this card will be top tier when we get to the inevitable undead swarm with the surge keyword campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was extremely useful for me in Undimensioned and Unseen
I had three hunter enemies looking for me, and I was waiting for the last Brood to spawn. We Barricaded ourselves at Whateley's place, drawing cards and healing until it did, and preparing to move it as soon as it did show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
It was extremely useful for me in Undimensioned and Unseen
I had three hunter enemies looking for me, and I was waiting for the last Brood to spawn. We Barricaded ourselves at Whateley's place, drawing cards and healing until it did, and preparing to move it as soon as it did show up.

(Spoilers Undimensioned and Unseen)

Yeah, this card really shines in that mission because the Broods aren't elite but can be really dangerous if they move into your location at the wrong time. Getting slammed by two Broods at once can be an easy way to lose the mission and Barricade prevents that. There are also a bunch of annoying hunter enemies it will be handy against. So as with Mind Wipe, Barricade is an otherwise pretty useless card that has finally found a mission where it can shine. I still would not include Barricade in my Seeker decks just for this one scenario, but it's nice that this card has its niche.

Generally speaking, Undimensioned and Unseen is just a really weird scenario where the normal order of things is reversed. Usually I would rank the skills, in importance, Combat>Intellect>Will>Agility (except for Mystics who can do almost everything with Will.) In this scenario I'd say it's Will>Agility>Combat>Intellect. Quite a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
flag msg tools
Hell yes! Luckiest game with Midnight Masks last night. So. Satisfying.
I had a light bulb moment, and used Barricade on a 1-Shroud location, making sure one of my investigators was always there, searching away and revealing new Cultists without enemy interference. Wendy had Leo De Luca as an ally giving her an extra turn, Roland was running around bashing monsters. Lucky first draw with just the right weapons, barricade, and supplies. Awesome game. 4 cultists captured before I resigned, my personal best. I hated Midnight Masks, because I could only do one damn cultists before the game finished me off. Barricade made all the difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salphons wrote:
Hell yes! Luckiest game with Midnight Masks last night. So. Satisfying.
I had a light bulb moment, and used Barricade on a 1-Shroud location, making sure one of my investigators was always there, searching away and revealing new Cultists without enemy interference. Wendy had Leo De Luca as an ally giving her an extra turn, Roland was running around bashing monsters. Lucky first draw with just the right weapons, barricade, and supplies. Awesome game. 4 cultists captured before I resigned, my personal best. I hated Midnight Masks, because I could only do one damn cultists before the game finished me off. Barricade made all the difference!

It's not enough to have an investigator in the location
Quote:
When an investigator leaves attached location: Discard Barricade.

As soon as someone leaves, it's gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.