Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Cabeen
United States
Santa Barbara / Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will a Muddled monster with a single-target ranged attack, adjacent to their focused enemy, move back from their focus? They would normally do so to lose disadvantage, but due to the Muddle, they will be disadvantaged regardless of the move. We ruled that the monster did not move, as doing so did not improve their attack in any way, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you Ted - mainly from the standpoint that condition tokens can never double up - so once muddled, combat disadvantage is already in effect, and can't become 'double disadvantaged'.

Thematically this works too, as anyone who is 'muddled' is not going to have enough of their senses going on to jump backwards to gain a more optimal ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rule the opposite, that they still move even if it doesn't make a difference.

For instance, if a monster has move 2, and it will take 3 movement points to get to the spot where they can make an attack, they will still move 2 spaces towards the spot for them to attack, even if it doesn't make a difference in the effectiveness of their attack (in this case, no effectiveness at all.)

So I would expect them to try to move to better position, even if that position will only help them in later rounds rather than the current one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I'd rule the opposite, that they still move even if it doesn't make a difference.

For instance, if a monster has move 2, and it will take 3 movement points to get to the spot where they can make an attack, they will still move 2 spaces towards the spot for them to attack, even if it doesn't make a difference in the effectiveness of their attack (in this case, no effectiveness at all.)

So I would expect them to try to move to better position, even if that position will only help them in later rounds rather than the current one.

The rules state that the monster would move in order to maximize their attack. Their attack is already optimal against their focus so it would not move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Cabeen
United States
Santa Barbara / Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, James. I see your point, but I think I disagree. That would make sense if ranged monsters with excess range also moved back, but they don't. (For example, a monster with a range 4 attack having focus on an enemy only 2 spaces away. It would be a positional improvement and no change in attack for that monster to move back two spaces, but they don't.) Monsters move to reduce their distance from targets as much as possible when they can't attack, but they don't move to increase their distance from targets when they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, going to the rules, I disagree with myself too.

They say: "If the monster is performing a ranged attack, it will only move toward a hex where it is within range to perform
its best possible attack."

So when muddled, the monster would already be as close to it's target as it can be, so there's not much reason for it to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
A strict reading of the rules would indicate they don't move, as there is nowhere they can go to attack without disadvatage if they are muddled.

Page 30, new rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
I feel like if a monster has a ranged attack and innately knows not being beside makes it more effective.. logically it would still move... however you could also argue that since it is muddled it is not thinking logically... so also thematically works that way... You could also argue it is ambiguous and have it be player choice.. or flip a coin... I cant decide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess maybe someone should ask in the FAQ thread as Isaac is more likely to notice there, and then circle back here with the definitive answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this both ways. Summon Isaac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not move. Monsters never take future turns into consideration. It is already positioned for its best possible attack. There are at least two other threads covering this. I realize at this point it's almost impossible to find anything in these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been ruled in the FAQ that a Disarmed monster with a range attack will move as if it had a melee attack that turn. So I think the same principle holds here, and the muddled monster will not move back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

The players moving the monsters do not anticipate future turns. They move the monsters only as if it had unlimited movement /THIS TURN/.

If there was future turn/context anticipation monsters would neither block their team mates (but they do, eg elites often block non elites for no 'sane' reason') nor would they move as meele if they do not attack and are ranged monsters.

There is - to my knowledge - no such concept of awareness but I can see room for House rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.