War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Custom sleeves vs Mayday's Tarot sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the sleeves sold by Ares in a tin and advertised as 67x120 in fact the same as Mayday WotR 70x120? I know Mayday makes them for Ares and that their sleeves are generally a tight fit, but it would be unfortunate to advertise a larger size than reality. I need to supplement the dedicated sleeves and wonder if OEM are fully compatible, or if I need to wait for new prints of the official product to guarantee consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I have bought are fully compatible.

Also even if you have two sizes, just put a different deck in one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fo info! By fully compatible you mean the exact same size as Ares' sleeves, not only fitting wotr cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares doesn't make sleeves, from what I understand. I believe they just use the Mayday sleeves in the tin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I explained so in the first post. They are however labeled 67x120, while normal Mayday sleeves are sold as 70x120. My question is therefore if they are exactly the same, or Mayday makes a special order with custom size, or are they exactly the same sleeves. I already sleeved my baśe game in the custom sleeves and would like more of them. Normal tarot sleeves from FFG and UltraPro are too wide, I wondered if it is the same for Mayday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
Yes, I explained so in the first post. They are however labeled 67x120, while normal Mayday sleeves are sold as 70x120. My question is therefore if they are exactly the same, or Mayday makes a special order with custom size, or are they exactly the same sleeves. I already sleeved my baśe game in the custom sleeves and would like more of them. Normal tarot sleeves from FFG and UltraPro are too wide, I wondered if it is the same for Mayday.

The "custom sized" sleeves are a bit smaller.. but they are penny sleeves and are junk.
But what I did for my AE copy of the game was use the custom sleeves and sleeves the card upside down and then put it in the FFG tarot sleeves the normal way. This kept it from shifting around in the Tarot sleeve too much while maintaining the protection and quality of the Tarot sleeve. It may seem excessive but it works rather well.

I also store my cards in my copy of Lords of Middle earth CE so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, my Ares branded wotr sleeves are definitely the thicker, 'premium' maydays. They are quite old however, maybe the Gandalf tin downgraded to the thin sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
Hmm, my Ares branded wotr sleeves are definitely the thicker, 'premium' maydays. They are quite old however, maybe the Gandalf tin downgraded to the thin sleeves?

Whatever patrick is describing is not what we're talking about.

And yeah, the mayday ones I got, even though they had a different size on them from the ones mayday put in the ares tin, were the exact same size.

BUT, I'm not going to promise mayday sleeves are always the same size, cause that's not always true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
schizoferret wrote:

Whatever patrick is describing is not what we're talking about.

And yeah, the mayday ones I got, even though they had a different size on them from the ones mayday put in the ares tin, were the exact same size.

BUT, I'm not going to promise mayday sleeves are always the same size, cause that's not always true.

You are correct. In my haste I remembered the wrong sleeves. I could not get the premium WOTr sized ones... all OOS. So i made do with the Swan panasia ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Yes, that's a disclaimer that should follow any talk about Mayday sleeves (unless they tightened QC) . At some point I even took advantage of it and sought out mini chimera sleeves which deviated from nominal dimensions enough to accomodate cards that people normally sleeve in mini euro, but with large flappy margins. Dungeon Lords and Mare Nostrum cards fitting back in the inserts, yay!

I don't care that much if the sleeves I get will be slightly different, I'll get enough for all current and future cards in one go. I just didn't want unnecessary margins as with FFG and Ultra-Pro tarot sleeves.

Thank you, you were really helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.