United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules tell you to keep track of the generation with a marker. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I can't find why you are supposed to do this. I tried searching in the forums but got a bunch of results that didn't really help. Can some one help with why you need to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Hynönen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
For multiplayer there's no real purpose other than seeing whether it's even or odd numbered round for Research phase drafting (even = clockwise, odd = counter-clockwise), if you use that variant.
Plus it's nice to see how quickly you managed to terraform Mars.

For solo play, it's essential as it puts a timelimit for the game. If you haven't reached the terraforming goals by the end of the 14th generation, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Only important in solo variant. Unless you play some other multiplayer variant I havent played.
Use the white cube. You will be using the TR track to count the generations.
Try solo, its amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For more on this topic look here:

Is there a reason for the Generation (Round) Marker
The Generation Marker
What is the generation marker for?
Generation Marker
Generation Marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah technically it's has no function in multiplayer non-drafting games. Even in draft games it's not that functionally important, you only need to know "odd" or "even". But I find it useful to track the game length. Even if you don't write it down for statistics (which is something some people do but I don't), you can get a feeling after a while of how long do your games take and later the generation tracker can help you see you might be getting close to the end even if it's not obvious from the game state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gomeril Gnak
msg tools
The generation tracker is a useful reminder not to buy too much production towards the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I was guessing it might have had something to do with the solo rules. It probably would have been better to mention it just in the solo or variant rules section and leave it out of the main rules. Or at least add a note about it not being relevant in multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I was guessing it might have had something to do with the solo rules. It probably would have been better to mention it just in the solo or variant rules section and leave it out of the main rules. Or at least add a note about it not being relevant in multiplayer.

I think the generation marker is *very* relevant in multiplayer, as mentioned in the above threads. It's just technically not mechanically necessary.

There are two important roles it serves in multiplayer for me (even without draft):

1. A redundant tracking of who is supposed to be the first player. I can't tell how many times we forgot to pass the first player marker, and the generation marker saved us.

2. The value of most cards depends on how many turns are left in the game. The generation marker is a very handy reference of that that is much easier (though less precise) than analyzing the state of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.