Don Bone
Australia
Wentworth Falls
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
We finished the night with Vabanque. There were four players, Miranda (16), Aaron (13) and Linda and Don who prefer to remain ageless.

This was the first playing of this game for all of us, but I had read the rules earlier and there is not much to it so we were up and playing in under 10 minutes. This game is quite unlike any other Faidutti or Colovini game I have played and is based very heavily on bluff and double bluff, but one still feels in control for the whole game with luck only entering the equation through your guesses about your opponents plays.

The game played in about 40 minutes and the escalating chip values for the four rounds led to a see-sawing of the scores. However, as observed before in this game you do not really want to be in the lead. It is much better to be later in the order, as you can make up almost any ground in the last round. Linda lagged behind rather badly through much of the game, but managed to pull second place through some clever play in the last round, while Aaron played a canny game through out, manoevring himself into second spot for the last round and taking out the game in the end.

Everyone greatly enjoyed the game and I am sure it will get played again. My feeling is that the subtlety in the bluffing and the tactical element added by the spatial placements and the turn phasing make it more than just a light filler.

The final scores were Aaron 400, Linda 285, Don 260 and Miranda 255.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.