Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion faced some criticism because it didn't do anything new. Those critics will be quiet on this release. A new type of advancement that can covered up by other advancements. Leaders. A card that rewards you for a small field. Cards that allow you to add more cards to your field without danger of spoiling. Can't wait to play my first game tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know how it goes. I would like to hear about it. I'm staying out of the water until someone tells me it's warm (and I believe them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arman Khodaei
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have this expansion. Just got it yesterday. I have not played with it yet, but the new cards seem to be a huge upgrade over the crap of the first expansion. Sorry, people, the first expansion was utter garbage.

The leaders seem awesome and also you can get rewarded for spoiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of game companies release a game, and then release an expansion that really *completes* the game . . . there's lots of examples of this. But having to buy the base game and 2 expansions to get *the full game* is ridiculous. Sorry, but I don't think I'm buying this.

The game was not *bad*, it just wasn't *good enough*. It had a good gimmick. I think - though theme is somewhat pasted here - that they could have selected a more accessible theme. The gameplay was "okay" not stellar.

They hooked me with an interesting gimmick, but when the first expansion didn't solve the problem, they kind of lost me as a consumer.

Maybe if they port this sytem to a new game with a different theme I'll try it, but otherwise this just isn't worth continued investment: $31 base game, and 2 - $21expansions . . . we're into roughly $75 territory here for a lukewarm game experience. And the prices I'm quoting aren't MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
A lot of game companies release a game, and then release an expansion that really *completes* the game . . . there's lots of examples of this. But having to buy the base game and 2 expansions to get *the full game* is ridiculous. Sorry, but I don't think I'm buying this.

The game was not *bad*, it just wasn't *good enough*. It had a good gimmick. I think - though theme is somewhat pasted here - that they could have selected a more accessible theme. The gameplay was "okay" not stellar.

They hooked me with an interesting gimmick, but when the first expansion didn't solve the problem, they kind of lost me as a consumer.

Maybe if they port this sytem to a new game with a different theme I'll try it, but otherwise this just isn't worth continued investment: $31 base game, and 2 - $21expansions . . . we're into roughly $75 territory here for a lukewarm game experience. And the prices I'm quoting aren't MSRP.

The only thing I agree with here are the quoted prices. The game has a smoothness of play that most games would sacrifice an expansion to achieve. There is more than the card crafting "gimmick" (I supposed deck building was Dominion's gimmick shake). The push element, copied in part from Blackjack, makes thematic sense and creates an edge to making decisions that many games lack. The artwork is great. The new expansion is so good and creates more mana more rapidly and does it so well that a few have already suggested putting more victory points into the pile that triggers game end for all player counts. Because a player can end one turn by preparing for the next while the next player starts their current turn. There is a lot to like here and each expansion makes me like it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure forcing variants (addition of VP to the pool) really plays in favour of Mystic Vale. If an expansion breaks the game it's not a good expansion.

As for preparing your field during your opponent's turn, sadly it doesn't reduce the incredibly lenghthy downtime you experience when you or your opponent have a deck that revolves around cancelling decay and you have to push to meet your first canelling card. UGH! So slow! So long! So boring!
And that's not even mentioning people who think you're cheating and don't want you to prepare your field when they're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm not sure forcing variants (addition of VP to the pool) really plays in favour of Mystic Vale. If an expansion breaks the game it's not a good expansion.

As for preparing your field during your opponent's turn, sadly it doesn't reduce the incredibly lenghthy downtime you experience when you or your opponent have a deck that revolves around cancelling decay and you have to push to meet your first canelling card. UGH! So slow! So long! So boring!
And that's not even mentioning people who think you're cheating and don't want you to prepare your field when they're playing.

There's no need to blame any game because it is being played by people who don't trust each other. Downtime is in the eye of the beholder. To me there is plenty to do between rounds like watching the available developments change and paying attention to what others are doing. Using that info to block the path of others is a formidable defense.

Don't know where you got that the new expansions breaks anything other than it seems you came here with a predisposition to dislike the game but are hanging around to bash it when you can. This expansion adds to the enjoyment and makes it a "little" easier to put more cards in the field and garner in-game points, thus the desire for the game to last longer rather than be over quicker - which to me is the mark of a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
There's no need to blame any game because it is being played by people who don't trust each other. Downtime is in the eye of the beholder. To me there is plenty to do between rounds like watching the available developments change and paying attention to what others are doing. Using that info to block the path of others is a formidable defense.

Don't know where you got that the new expansions breaks anything other than it seems you came here with a predisposition to dislike the game but are hanging around to bash it when you can. This expansion adds to the enjoyment and makes it a "little" easier to put more cards in the field and garner in-game points, thus the desire for the game to last longer rather than be over quicker - which to me is the mark of a good game.

I guess there's no reasoning with a fanboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
rickert wrote:

Or no convincing a hate boy? Hanging in a forum for a game he despises?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit that I think this expansion is cool. Apparently I'm in the minority in that I also greatly appreciated the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Or no convincing a hate boy? Hanging in a forum for a game he despises?

If he doesn't like the game, no one is allowed to like it! (Or so it seems.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S
msg tools
FYI to the comment about downtime. When prepping your field you don't count decay icons that have been cancelled by gardens or other effects. You prep until there are three active decay icons in the field and on deck card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Apparently I'm in the minority in that I also greatly appreciated the first expansion.

Don't know about that. I do really like the first expansion, though it must be admitted that it doesn't alter the game in any major way. The leader cards in the new expansion sound like they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
True. I guess I just feel like an expansion doesn't need to introduce new rules and things to be great. More of good is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
True. I guess I just feel like an expansion doesn't need to introduce new rules and things to be great. More of good is great!

Amen. I feel exactly like that. I wish more gamers did. I am so tired of people saying of an expansion, "This should have been in the base game." That is almost always hogwash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.