Subject: Planks on Stones Query? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
In the rules section on placing planks, they go to quite a bit of detail concerning the fact that planks should rest directly on the stones, and only be on top of other planks if there is no other way to place it on the actual stone. We tried playing like this and found it hard to even get two planks on the stone with out them regularly falling off. Then we looked at the rule book illustrations, and even the photos here on the geek, and no one seems to be bothering with that distinction, placing the second plank, right on top of the first. Any thoughts on what the rule was trying to communicate? And why it's ignored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Planks on Stones Query?
Moon Knight (#27501),

I got the impression that they just didn't want a big interlocking mess when someone played the "remove a plank" option. I think they just wanted to make removing a plank to be as easy as possible.

-Mike Mayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shaver
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Planks on Stones Query?
Moon Knight (#27501),

I take this to mean that the end of the plank you're placing must be directly "above" a stone (even if there happens to be the end of another plank between your plank end and the stone) and not only resting on a plank (such as if your end was resting on the middle of another plank.)

-Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found this rule very confusing. One interpretation is that you can't place a plank on a stone that already has a plank unless there are no unoccupied stones! That would change the game considerably. Can anyone rephrase this rule more sensibly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I belive Michael is correct. The intent is that planks go from stone to stone and not (as in a shortcut) to anywhere it could cross or rest on another plank. There should always be a stone (or shore) under each end of the plank and sometimes that means placing it atop a plank already on the stone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
On my first play it struck me how impractical it is to remove a plank which has it's end underneath another plank. I'm planning to play that only planks which can be removed without moving other planks can be taken. I realise that this will lessen the effect of the 'ninja type' card. However the thought of having to rearrange the board every time is worse! Looks like a fun family game. I just wish the red/pink and red/yellow colours were more distinctive from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.