Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a real cool game that I will be trying. For my first few games, I will just use regular D6 dice before printing stickers.

When I look at the dice converter, the conversions seem totally random and in fact (to me) anti-logicial (is that a word? - not just illogical, but almost intentionally not logical).

When I look at these icons I see:

1 Threat Detected obviously has a single circle in the middle of it

2 Engineering has 2 gears

3 Science has 3 connected dots

4 Medical has 4 obvious shapes

5 Commanders have 5 white shapes

6 Tactical is left, no obvious 6 shapes here (although there ARE 6 angles to the arrow), but 6 is the big (fun) number to roll, so that matches with attacking the enemies.

I know I can "house rule" my dice however I want, so I guess this is just a bit of a rant. Does anyone else see the symbols the way I do, or is it just my weird brain?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct except that tactical has 1 shape = 1.

The threat detected side is just the exception because it is immediately resolved after rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh to answer your question about why it seems intentionally wrong is because the pip distribution is based on the ship layout.

If you look at the Halcyon ship the stations are read top to bottom left to right.

command = 1 = at the top
tactical = 2 = right below it
medical = 3 = on the next section down to the left
and so on.

This was the most effective way for people to use standard dice during print and play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
This looks like a real cool game that I will be trying. For my first few games, I will just use regular D6 dice before printing stickers.

When I look at the dice converter, the conversions seem totally random and in fact (to me) anti-logicial (is that a word? - not just illogical, but almost intentionally not logical).

When I look at these icons I see:

1 Threat Detected obviously has a single circle in the middle of it

2 Engineering has 2 gears

3 Science has 3 connected dots

4 Medical has 4 obvious shapes

5 Commanders have 5 white shapes

6 Tactical is left, no obvious 6 shapes here (although there ARE 6 angles to the arrow), but 6 is the big (fun) number to roll, so that matches with attacking the enemies.

I know I can "house rule" my dice however I want, so I guess this is just a bit of a rant. Does anyone else see the symbols the way I do, or is it just my weird brain?

Thanks.

Yes, but on the other hand, if you look at Halcyon you will see that Tony divided up the sections of the ship in such a way as to be pretty easy to determine what type of dice is equivalent to what pip on a normal die. So THAT ship is pretty easy to convert. Other ships are harder in this respect but then the print and play only has the Halcyon.

If you make custom dice, creating your own icons, the icons are very unlikely to resemble the pip patterns on the dice. I don't know of any game that does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Oh to answer your question about why it seems intentionally wrong is because the pip distribution is based on the ship layout.

If you look at the Halcyon ship the stations are read top to bottom left to right.

command = 1 = at the top
and so on.

This was the most effective way for people to use standard dice during print and play testing.

Oh, OK, thanks. I hadn't realized that. That makes sense.

I plan on trying this in the next day or two. Hopefully, I will like it so much I will make custom dice for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try contacting Joe Propati (Kingspud on BGG). He might be able to do laser carved dice for you. Sticker dice aren't hard either. You can get blank dice on Amazon (for one place) and I also use 1/2" punches I got in the same place. You can print the die symbols, punch them out, and stick them to the dice with spray adhesive, like Scotch photo mount or Super 77.

Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:

command = 1 = at the top
and so on.

Oh, OK, thanks. I hadn't realized that. That makes sense.

I plan on trying this in the next day or two. Hopefully, I will like it so much I will make custom dice for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.