Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Diceborn Heroes» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Impressions - Lets talk about the game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to start a thread where people can put in some thoughts and first impressions of the game from their experience. So feel free to post those or questions

Here are some of my thoughts about the game.

I have seen Keith lug this game around for a few years now! Its gone through all sorts of variations and changes over the years and the one thing I appreciate is he has been play testing, play testing, play testing!!!! Keith's been open to suggestions while staying true to his vision. I have played it a few times now in various stages.

One of the biggest impressions it left on me is the throw back feeling to Final Fantasy and leveling up your character. This all happens in the same game, so you are leveling up quickly after each round, not waiting to play multiple games to get that feeling. The leveling up system is also extremely unique and full of choices. Do you upgrade to a new class (Mage to Illusionist), or focus on making your Mage better? Do you purchase items and which ones? Do your upgrades work with the other party members, synergy? Are you covering all your basis, fighter, healer, spell caster? Are you READY for the next battle?

The dice give it some randomness but you are NEVER left without options. That's important because you always want to feel like you are doing something.

I also love that everyone is always playing at the same time. That is hard to accomplish because it often can impede on mechanics, but this does it very well. Everyone levels up together, rolls dice together, chooses actions together and then face off against the monsters. I love when games do this. I have been critical of games where you are left waiting for your turn a long time as it can really take you out of that moment.

There are also choices in the direction you take your story and how hard do you want to make it for yourselves. Do you go for the more difficult road, but find a unique treasure if you succeed? Or do you go the easier path with fewer rewards?

All this happens in a single play through that typically takes about 1 hour. That's incredible because the mechanics are simple, yet you get so much story and experiences out of it. It gives you those "Remember when.....?" stories you think back on.

Last I played was October 2016, so I am itching to give this another go and see if we can beat the quest we find ourselves in. I know currently Keith has been refining the balance of game difficulty, so I would like to see how that is evolving.

Overall, this is a unique cooperative game that gives you that nostalgia for JRPG's and most importantly.... its fun to play!

15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Good to hear from someone who has played it. What did you think to the art??
Have you played it recently?? Are you backing it?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
Good to hear from someone who has played it. What did you think to the art??
Have you played it recently?? Are you backing it?


Definitely backed it.

I seen the actual game just last week and hope to play the game again sometime soon. The cards are really well made, good stock and quality. They don't look generic.

I think the art is fitting. The cover is eye catching for sure. You can see in the photos, that the characters have a roughness to them but its purposeful. I think the art is pleasing to look at and obviously this is subjective so people can decide for themselves. If I was to criticize any part of the art, I think the boss monsters could probably use a touch up.

I know Keith largely funded this all out of pocket, including paying for the artist. She apparently was fantastic to work with and is continuing to do so. Maybe Keith can chime in about any stretch goals related to art? I know there is a pledge level where you can get your likeness put onto a character, so I think this is still a working progress. Something the Kickstarter campaign is obviously going to help with.


9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
travelers_spirit wrote:
DragonFly90 wrote:
Good to hear from someone who has played it. What did you think to the art??
Have you played it recently?? Are you backing it?


Definitely backed it.

I seen the actual game just last week and hope to play the game again sometime soon. The cards are really well made, good stock and quality. They don't look generic.

I think the art is fitting. The cover is eye catching for sure. You can see in the photos, that the characters have a roughness to them but its purposeful. I think the art is pleasing to look at and obviously this is subjective so people can decide for themselves. If I was to criticize any part of the art, I think the boss monsters could probably use a touch up.

I know Keith largely funded this all out of pocket, including paying for the artist. She apparently was fantastic to work with and is continuing to do so. Maybe Keith can chime in about any stretch goals related to art? I know there is a pledge level where you can get your likeness put onto a character, so I think this is still a working progress. Something the Kickstarter campaign is obviously going to help with.




I think some of the enemies look too cute to kill
Art is definitely subjective.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe totally gave me Final Fantasy!
Cute until they smack you in the face with poison laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

Quick, question - is there a "legacy" element to this? The KS video mentions "permanent" changes, so are there stickers or something like that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Quick, question - is there a "legacy" element to this? The KS video mentions "permanent" changes, so are there stickers or something like that?
My understanding is that there is no changes that can't be undone, but that you can carry over changes to certain decks from game to game.
E.g. if in game one you rescue somebody you may get a card because they help you. That card can still be in the deck in game two.

Note that while I've playtested the game, I've not actually playtested that part of the rules so I may be wrong on how exactly it works.
I will be very surprised though if stickers/card destruction are part of it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Quick, question - is there a "legacy" element to this? The KS video mentions "permanent" changes, so are there stickers or something like that?
My understanding is that there is no changes that can't be undone, but that you can carry over changes to certain decks from game to game.
E.g. if in game one you rescue somebody you may get a card because they help you. That card can still be in the deck in game two.

Note that while I've playtested the game, I've not actually playtested that part of the rules so I may be wrong on how exactly it works.
I will be very surprised though if stickers/card destruction are part of it.


Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Rahdo's videos and i find this game quite charming. But as a friend of mine pointed out the leveling system is so much inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics (including the classes, which are of course standard fantasy classes anyway, but still) that this part of the game looks almost like a copy. Still how this is handled with the adding of cards and stuff is great!
And the nice exhaustion mechanic and legacy elements would be a sensation if Gloomhaven wouldn't use similar ideas and being such a hit currently. So i am a bit undecided if there is enough new stuff for me, as i already backed Gloomhaven 2nd edition. Hmm.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Strubel wrote:
I've seen Rahdo's videos and i find this game quite charming. But as a friend of mine pointed out the leveling system is so much inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics (including the classes, which are of course standard fantasy classes anyway, but still) that this part of the game looks almost like a copy. Still how this is handled with the adding of cards and stuff is great!
And the nice exhaustion mechanic and legacy elements would be a sensation if Gloomhaven wouldn't use similar ideas and being such a hit currently. So i am a bit undecided if there is enough new stuff for me, as i already backed Gloomhaven 2nd edition. Hmm.
I haven't played Gloomhaven, but Rhado's review indicates that he considers it well worthwhile to own both if that helps
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
travelers_spirit wrote:
I wanted to start a thread where people can put in some thoughts and first impressions of the game from their experience. So feel free to post those or questions

Here are some of my thoughts about the game.

I have seen Keith lug this game around for a few years now! Its gone through all sorts of variations and changes over the years and the one thing I appreciate is he has been play testing, play testing, play testing!!!! Keith's been open to suggestions while staying true to his vision. I have played it a few times now in various stages.

One of the biggest impressions it left on me is the throw back feeling to Final Fantasy and leveling up your character. This all happens in the same game, so you are leveling up quickly after each round, not waiting to play multiple games to get that feeling. The leveling up system is also extremely unique and full of choices. Do you upgrade to a new class (Mage to Illusionist), or focus on making your Mage better? Do you purchase items and which ones? Do your upgrades work with the other party members, synergy? Are you covering all your basis, fighter, healer, spell caster? Are you READY for the next battle?

The dice give it some randomness but you are NEVER left without options. That's important because you always want to feel like you are doing something.

I also love that everyone is always playing at the same time. That is hard to accomplish because it often can impede on mechanics, but this does it very well. Everyone levels up together, rolls dice together, chooses actions together and then face off against the monsters. I love when games do this. I have been critical of games where you are left waiting for your turn a long time as it can really take you out of that moment.

There are also choices in the direction you take your story and how hard do you want to make it for yourselves. Do you go for the more difficult road, but find a unique treasure if you succeed? Or do you go the easier path with fewer rewards?

All this happens in a single play through that typically takes about 1 hour. That's incredible because the mechanics are simple, yet you get so much story and experiences out of it. It gives you those "Remember when.....?" stories you think back on.

Last I played was October 2016, so I am itching to give this another go and see if we can beat the quest we find ourselves in. I know currently Keith has been refining the balance of game difficulty, so I would like to see how that is evolving.

Overall, this is a unique cooperative game that gives you that nostalgia for JRPG's and most importantly.... its fun to play!



Just happened to find this game through Rhado's Run-through. The level up choices are very interesting. indeed reminds me of the old Final fantasy/tactics days that I really liked as I can branch out to different roles. The process seems interesting for a card/dice based game. Now since the KS campaign has 16 more days to go, Will they likely add more roles, Quests, Monsters, More skill cards for each class?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Quick, question - is there a "legacy" element to this? The KS video mentions "permanent" changes, so are there stickers or something like that?


There is the option to have a Campaign play through. I would not call it Legacy because you don't tear anything up. There are no permanent changes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
travelers_spirit wrote:
I wanted to start a thread where people can put in some thoughts and first impressions of the game from their experience. So feel free to post those or questions

Here are some of my thoughts about the game.

I have seen Keith lug this game around for a few years now! Its gone through all sorts of variations and changes over the years and the one thing I appreciate is he has been play testing, play testing, play testing!!!! Keith's been open to suggestions while staying true to his vision. I have played it a few times now in various stages.

One of the biggest impressions it left on me is the throw back feeling to Final Fantasy and leveling up your character. This all happens in the same game, so you are leveling up quickly after each round, not waiting to play multiple games to get that feeling. The leveling up system is also extremely unique and full of choices. Do you upgrade to a new class (Mage to Illusionist), or focus on making your Mage better? Do you purchase items and which ones? Do your upgrades work with the other party members, synergy? Are you covering all your basis, fighter, healer, spell caster? Are you READY for the next battle?

The dice give it some randomness but you are NEVER left without options. That's important because you always want to feel like you are doing something.

I also love that everyone is always playing at the same time. That is hard to accomplish because it often can impede on mechanics, but this does it very well. Everyone levels up together, rolls dice together, chooses actions together and then face off against the monsters. I love when games do this. I have been critical of games where you are left waiting for your turn a long time as it can really take you out of that moment.

There are also choices in the direction you take your story and how hard do you want to make it for yourselves. Do you go for the more difficult road, but find a unique treasure if you succeed? Or do you go the easier path with fewer rewards?

All this happens in a single play through that typically takes about 1 hour. That's incredible because the mechanics are simple, yet you get so much story and experiences out of it. It gives you those "Remember when.....?" stories you think back on.

Last I played was October 2016, so I am itching to give this another go and see if we can beat the quest we find ourselves in. I know currently Keith has been refining the balance of game difficulty, so I would like to see how that is evolving.

Overall, this is a unique cooperative game that gives you that nostalgia for JRPG's and most importantly.... its fun to play!



Just happened to find this game through Rhado's Run-through. The level up choices are very interesting. indeed reminds me of the old Final fantasy/tactics days that I really liked as I can branch out to different roles. The process seems interesting for a card/dice based game. Now since the KS campaign has 16 more days to go, Will they likely add more roles, Quests, Monsters, More skill cards for each class?



I sure hope so!!! It already looks like he is adding more Heroes, Quests through stretch goals. With quests, comes new bosses. The higher this goes, the more we all get
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
travelers_spirit wrote:
SgtTenor wrote:
travelers_spirit wrote:
I wanted to start a thread where people can put in some thoughts and first impressions of the game from their experience. So feel free to post those or questions

Here are some of my thoughts about the game.

I have seen Keith lug this game around for a few years now! Its gone through all sorts of variations and changes over the years and the one thing I appreciate is he has been play testing, play testing, play testing!!!! Keith's been open to suggestions while staying true to his vision. I have played it a few times now in various stages.

One of the biggest impressions it left on me is the throw back feeling to Final Fantasy and leveling up your character. This all happens in the same game, so you are leveling up quickly after each round, not waiting to play multiple games to get that feeling. The leveling up system is also extremely unique and full of choices. Do you upgrade to a new class (Mage to Illusionist), or focus on making your Mage better? Do you purchase items and which ones? Do your upgrades work with the other party members, synergy? Are you covering all your basis, fighter, healer, spell caster? Are you READY for the next battle?

The dice give it some randomness but you are NEVER left without options. That's important because you always want to feel like you are doing something.

I also love that everyone is always playing at the same time. That is hard to accomplish because it often can impede on mechanics, but this does it very well. Everyone levels up together, rolls dice together, chooses actions together and then face off against the monsters. I love when games do this. I have been critical of games where you are left waiting for your turn a long time as it can really take you out of that moment.

There are also choices in the direction you take your story and how hard do you want to make it for yourselves. Do you go for the more difficult road, but find a unique treasure if you succeed? Or do you go the easier path with fewer rewards?

All this happens in a single play through that typically takes about 1 hour. That's incredible because the mechanics are simple, yet you get so much story and experiences out of it. It gives you those "Remember when.....?" stories you think back on.

Last I played was October 2016, so I am itching to give this another go and see if we can beat the quest we find ourselves in. I know currently Keith has been refining the balance of game difficulty, so I would like to see how that is evolving.

Overall, this is a unique cooperative game that gives you that nostalgia for JRPG's and most importantly.... its fun to play!



Just happened to find this game through Rhado's Run-through. The level up choices are very interesting. indeed reminds me of the old Final fantasy/tactics days that I really liked as I can branch out to different roles. The process seems interesting for a card/dice based game. Now since the KS campaign has 16 more days to go, Will they likely add more roles, Quests, Monsters, More skill cards for each class?



I sure hope so!!! It already looks like he is adding more Heroes, Quests through stretch goals. With quests, comes new bosses. The higher this goes, the more we all get


Yeah keeping an eye on this daily. They apparently added another Stretch goal for another quest called the swordster. I might just join the frey at $1 and give them suggestion and back later. I think this is a must back list. The game looks very interesting. Not big on the art style at the moment but that may just be an oversight if the gameplay is good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played a quest line, and AFAIK it is not Gloomhaven (GH). 9 reasons:

1. GH uses an actual tactical board, with actual minis, whereas DBH abstracts from this.
2. GH uses a exhaust mechanic, whereas DBH is the classic hit points model.
3. GH levelling up takes forever, whereas in DBH you level up each 30 min.
4. GH box weighs 9.4kg and costs 130$, DBH weighs 1kg and costs 50$.
5. GH campaign takes 100+ sessions, DBH takes 15 sessions.
6. GH is dark and mean, DBH is mostly cute.
7. GH is true legacy with damaging pieces, but it's so big you wouldn't play it from the start ever again (plus there are some stickers for sale for those who do); DBH is reusable and more eco-friendly.
8. GH is a dungeon crawler, where you progress from the previous state, where in DBH each new adventure starts with fresh level 1 heroes.


Most important reason:

GH is actually finished and now in reprint #3, while DBH might never be produced, and anno June 2018 it is far from ready. Main reason is Keiths attitude to not include backers, a project like this cannot be done by one man and he should accept that. I mean by far from ready that while the manual and the cards could be perfected in 2-3 iterations, there are so many loose ends, undefined corner cases, vague effect orders, and those alone take some months to iron out. So either expect a broken/rushed product in 2018, or a possibly good one summer 2019. I couldn't wait that long so I made the game by printing and gluing. Don't even try to do that unless you have 10 days off.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.