44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dark Souls The Board Game - [Fan-made Tile Expansion Thread] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel persson
msg tools
Hello everybody, my name is Abracadaniel and welcome to the fan-made tile expansion thread.

This thread is for anyone with interest in creating or helping out with unofficial/fan-made tiles, tileset rules, expansions etc.

My first attempt at making a tile concept:
http://imgur.com/a/lVpok

Tile size is 11x11 inches.

Resources:

How to extract textures from Dark Souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ideMuecmH8s

HD Texture pack mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/446/?tab=2&navtag=ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
Love it. I already mentioned the idea of incorporating cover mechanics to the game but I want to mention it again. Your first attempt really got me thinking about how it would work and I currently am toying between special nodes that are designated as cover based on the tiles environment art or line of sight rules interacting with terrain pieces such as treasure chests, grave markers and barrels. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
First up, cheers for making the thread! Should hopefully get some awesome discussion flowing and some fanmade stuff churned out pretty soon.

Frantic_BK wrote:
our first attempt really got me thinking about how it would work and I currently am toying between special nodes that are designated as cover based on the tiles

Could have something similar to the boss vulnerability arcs - attacks coming in from nodes in designated arcs get an extra black dice for armour checks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome tile concept. I can see this game getting loads of fan made content and that's really great. And yes, tiles are indeed 11x11 inches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, as I said on facebook, the fanmade version of this game is going to be something pretty special!

Regarding cover and terrain, I could see very simple rules for LOS and cover working, as well as various hazard nodes (falls, fatal and non, water on tiles etc etc) done really easily with coloured nodes and rules on cards - harder to move through water, +1 stamina to dodge etc, - runthrough toxic areas - lava that kills almost instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
So that would be like a hybrid, it'll be something inherit to the node but also dependent on the position of the attacker. That's actually probably the best way to handle it. Thanks for the suggestion, it's going in the tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Frantic_BK wrote:
So that would be like a hybrid, it'll be something inherit to the node but also dependent on the position of the attacker. That's actually probably the best way to handle it. Thanks for the suggestion, it's going in the tin.

Yup - although it presents the problem of the AI - should enemies be hardwired to automatically move to a node that gives the player the least cover bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
I would say no. Their AI is handled on their card. The current ranged characters we have to go on both do the same exact move away 1 and attack. So long as the cover bonus is just extra dice to defense / dodge roll then it's probably fine to leave it as is.

However if you made the cover bonus negate ranged attacks then you would have to house rule it so their movement, so long as it doesn't go against the AI behavior listed on their card, is chosen to negate the cover bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I suppose the enemies in the VG are dumb as well - they'll happily shoot at a wall until the end of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
I tried to make a 3d render to see how the actual location would look with the light and perspective. This was done using the collision map from the game and some render work in 3d max http://imgur.com/a/k8G6J

Now I'm wondering if it's better to use the render as a base and then add textures in photoshop or keep the flat look from the core game tiles. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
I really like the idea of overlaying the nodes so that nodes fall on the pillars, with cover rules allowing an extra dice roll when defending against ranged attacks so long as your character is on a pillar node. It's nice and symmetrical so the nodes should line up nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
yeah I could do that but I/we still need a design/concept for the whole area, how big it should be, which rooms and so on. before I start doing the actual graphics. I was also thinking about adding a few smaller modular pieces similar to other dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah it's kind of a spectrum really. On one end you have 1:1 recreation of the entirety of sen's fortress and on the other you have a thematically linked set of tiles that play just like the base game (bonfire, 4 encounters, boss).

I lean more towards 1:1 recreation then thematic link, however considering the size of it... it wouldn't be appropriate for standard games, it'd become a campaign mode only installment.

So, I think that's something to decide first. How closely you want to mirror how Sen's is depicted in the video game. Keeping the aesthetic doesn't appear to be a huge hurdle for you (based on the entrance hall design you posted). So the main hurdle is whether you stick to even sized tiles and only change node arrangement and let the encounter cards decide everything OR alternatively go for 1:1 recreation and have really large / odd shaped tiles based on Sen's layout with encounters that aren't restricted to single square rooms.

Naturally a balancing issue for that would be deciding how to handle the AI enemies. Would likely have to introduce a rule that doesn't 'activate' them as soon as you enter the tile but rather once you enter their effective line of sight (using the regular tiles as a benchmark, could set that to 4 nodes).

In my opinion, the essence of Sens was that it was this winding fortress / maze with traps and different paths and tough enemies. Capturing that in the board game is difficult without introducing lots of new node specific rules, unique node placements on tiles and a preset floor plan to lay them out to try and replicate the experience. So I'd say just aim for as close to 1:1 as possible. Do what you did with the entrance hall but for each level of sen's.

A good argument for this, is that inevitably SFG will release an official Sen's expansion and it is unlikely to be anywhere near a 1:1. So for an unofficial version, going the 1:1 route or as near to as possible might be the best way to set it apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
Yeah I agree with you about making it more 1:1, however it would require many rooms and i'm not sure about the size in terms of having it on a table. What I probably need some help with is the layout, most important rooms, the nodes and design of each room to make it fun. I'm trying to make a concept for the overall layout and then I just need to get the game and play it to understand how the base game works and how we can change certaina aspects to make it work.

I will post more stuff once I get some time. We could also go an easier route and pick a smaller area and try to do the same but with less work for starters and to learn, I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you put all this amazing effort into more of your tiles, I think the community needs to give their collective thoughts on the design and the rules, and, to put it more bluntly, fix what's broken and improve what's lousy.

I can't wait to see what the community version of this game will be. There will be lots of rule changes and probably some new mechanics, like the pillar discussion being had here. If all of that can be ironed out first, developing tiles, and directly from the textures of the game (holy crap, nice job) is going to be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
I agree, we need to play and figure out what needs fixing, but we could start doing some test in terms of layout and design. I could also begin creating borders for the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, what he's done just with this little foray into it already has be extremely hyped for what else we can collectively achieve as a community. I imagine it will surpass anything sfg is able to pump out on their own.

Definitely agree about trialing a smaller area before going full steam onto Sen's. Alternatively, could just do the entrance hall of Sen's and the fight between the two serpent warriors. Whatever else is on that level. Then skip straight to the lead up to the boss fight and the Iron Golem boss fight. Then do the other levels of Sen's later. Having the start and end perfect would go a long way as it sets your limits and you add as much into the middle as desired.

If, in the event you want a completely different area to try first, then the best bet would be something self contained such as the undead asylum. Seeing the map layout has a lot less to it and could be a really good way to trial out ideas / mechanics / non standard node placements. Another section that isn't too bus and is pretty well self contained is the lower undead burg. Also kiln of the first flame or ash lake.

http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/UndeadAsylum.html
http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/UndeadBurgLower.html
http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/AshLake.html
http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/KilnoftheFirstFrame.h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
Yes let me make the layout/graphics for undead Asylum, the boss model is coming as a addon and the grunts we get in the core game, and it serves as a classic for every DS fan and it should be rather easy to make, tweak and test
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this all sounds great guys!...games only been around [in uk] about a week.and already we have modders starting to do great things.this sounds like a great idea.and with so much great content in all 3 games this could run and run..which keeps the game popular and fresh!
Cha0s lord has already added 2 mini bosses to the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of expanding the exploration via custom tiles instead of the drab generic tiles included in the base game.
Instead of setting up ahead of time, I like the random tile drawing..

Imagine if you're exploring, and the tile that shows up is this Sen's Fortress first room. There might be tiny symbols suggesting enemies to spawn in the room, and in this case, it would be the Snake Guards, right?

Can you imagine how cool it would be to, in any given session, explore a randomly created Dark Souls dungeon from iconic rooms from the video game! Way cool... And of course campaigns could be made so that you play through an entire preset dungeon, like Sen's here... woo... I'm glad I didn't sell my pledge. I can't wait to see what's gonna come out of all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah the asylum is a good target. Small numbers of tiles needed to recreate it. Only 2 main levels of elevation to consider. Allows us to experiment with narrow node layouts / choke points and cover. There's also the large boulder trap that comes down the staircase.

So its a really good foil to test out a bunch of things such as cover mechanics, more involved traps, elevation, choke points and unique node layouts that fit the background properly.

plus, it will make a really good starting area for the party in campaign play to introduce all these custom rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
yeah that's what I was thinking, I will begin working on it today \[T]/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harman
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm pretty deep in university study or I'd devote more of my time / energy to it. I'll pop into this thread regularly though. Try and chip in as much as possible for brain storming, refining, improving and any other help I'm capable of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel persson
msg tools
Any help is really appreciated, here is my first rough layout of the undead asylum: http://imgur.com/a/vF5xT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abracadaniels wrote:
Any help is really appreciated, here is my first rough layout of the undead asylum: http://imgur.com/a/vF5xT

Holy hell, you're a beast! Awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.