Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings. I am conducting a survey for my class that poses questions to gamers who back on Kickstarter. The survey will be analyzed for my final, but I am also hoping to share some findings with the community. Feel free to help me out!

Survey Link: https://t.co/1XgJVPTr1t

Thanks!
Eric Alvarado
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Holy crap! The first question asks if you've backed more than 100 games???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Yeah, wonder if one too many zeroes snuck in there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not answer the question on when in the campaign I decide to back, because there was no appropriate answer for me there. I back the moment I am convinced backing is worth while (and this depends on the amount of detailed info that is presented). Timing is almost never an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I answered.
My final comment was "I don't back campaigns with early-adopter or KS-only promos, generally."

I also tend to only back campaigns that are region friendly to Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm at 80-something backed and there are plenty of folks I follow that have several hundred backed, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. That said, I think a cutoff of around 25 would have been a more effective measure of Kickstarter experience.

Of course, I'm not privy to the project details, so there could be a very good reason it's set at 100...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:
I did not answer the question on when in the campaign I decide to back, because there was no appropriate answer for me there. I back the moment I am convinced backing is worth while (and this depends on the amount of detailed info that is presented). Timing is almost never an issue.

Yeah, I had to not answer that one too.

Since when I backed them, it had nothing to do with how long it had been posted or where it was to it's 'goal'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep, less than 100 here, 97 including tabletop game related, so still a newbie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My final comment was "I don't back campaigns with early-adopter or KS-only promos, generally."

LOL! I answered this almost exactly the opposite! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fine. I am not an expert at surveying and have a lot of lessons from this survey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I responded! I mentioned this in the note, but I think you are missing one important video type in your survey - a how to play and/or an actual gameplay video.

I am VERY hesitant to back any game project that does not at least show a rules run-through with some kind of components, prototype or not. I really prefer to see a full playthrough of the game, with multiple players, if possible. Or at least 30-60 minutes or so, if it's a really long game.

And I've backed 132 projects I'd call actual "board games", out of 345 total so far. My Kickstarter profile shows 217 in the "Games" category, but that includes video games, playing cards, meeples, dice, gaming bags, etc.

I've been Kickstarting for 5 years now, those totals really sneak up on you... yikes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Might be useful to add a question about how many projects or games you've *looked* at, and why you didn't back them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:

Yep I'm the same. I've backed a few projects within minutes of them launching, others once the value seems incredible and others at the final hours after being swayed by where the KS ends up.

Value and Not able to buy retail are two of the major issues I generally back a project (however it has to have already grabbed my interest and seem professional and likely to occur, before they become important factors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The survey seems to cover only half the story, I think why people don't back them would have much more useful and interesting outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. I may run another survey once I clear my finals that will ask about crowdsourcing or not along with some more deeper demographics. I need to chat with my professor to make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Rocheleau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
There you go. I just finished it. For me, the shipping is important. Some country make us pay up to 20$ for shipping, and that makes the price of the game too high for me.

Another thing is the language. I only have one friend who plays in english. All my family and friends speak french (and my english is not that good), so a french version of the rules helps me a lot to back a project.

Nice survey, by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:

I did answer this one, but that's just because most of the projects I back, I've been waiting for them so I know they're coming. The timing, then, is largely coincidental. I've backed games in the first hours, at the middle of the campaign, before they fund and after, and a couple in the closing hours.

I think it is important to note to the OP that for most people backing Kickstarter projects, timing is irrelevant.

And for anyone considering starting a KS project, you can take your Early Bird Discount and stick it where it won't get sunburned. I will not be panic-pressured into backing your game. In fact, I have frequently decided not to back based entirely on the fact that the early bird was an option (whether I missed it or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.