Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Palmer
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all

As the title says looking for a good worker placement style game for 6 or more players...... that works, with not to much down time....

maybe a Big askwhistle

I have Viticulture and Eclipse, I think Keyflower is another one but anything else?

Notes

Not looking at games like werewolf or party type games.

Cheersmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna plays up to 7, and there are enough options within the game that players should be able to take their turns quickly as there's normally some kind of plan B they can fall back on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why on earth would you want that?? It'd be utterly tedious with vast amounts of downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
I think you could look into Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. It's fairly easy to learn and turns are short since you are only placing one die most of the time. So downtime is minimal.

Play time is 90 minutes or less once you all know the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City: Big Box plays up to six, its tight but turns go fast.

Asking for Trobils plays up to 7 but I have no experience with it. It's coming back to retail in June or July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species is a great 6-player worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Asking for Trobils with 5, and it was great. Turns go very fast. I imagine it would be just as enjoyable with 6.

It's a bit of a twist on worker placement, as you can put your "worker" ship on any space you want, but if another player's ship is there it gets "bumped", returning the ship back to the player and effectively giving them another turn. I am a fan of the friendly cartoony art and the light-hearted approach to a space theme. Also those little ships (I'm told they'll be in the retail version as well) are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominant Species
Lancaster goes up to 5 players.

If you have 6+ players and want to do worker placement, why not just break into 2 tables of 3-4 players? More enjoyable that way.

Otherwise, advanced search is your friend. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&advse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodman
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun premise for a design. The real challenge would be coming up with one design that scales well for 2-6+. I'm not a designer, but I would guess that most worker placement designs would work for a somewhat narrow set of players, eg 2-4, 3-5, or hypothetically 6-8.

Further rambling: perhaps making the design more scalable would be a worker location that gives you turn order preference. (Oh hey, Agricola!) I assume this, because it's the "tightness" of the "map" that makes scalability difficult, or at least imbalanced if there isn't a strategic reordering. I assume Caverna has a start-player location like Agricola, but I've never played it.

Very interested to see how a high-player-count-worker-placement game would work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Manhattan
Illinois
flag msg tools
Diablo Fan
badge
Diablo Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep with the expansion will play 6. And it won't take forever either. Caverna would take much too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jeff321 wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep with the expansion will play 6. And it won't take forever either. Caverna would take much too long.

I played Lords of Waterdeep with 6 on Saturday, and it seemed to take forever. I didn't time it, but it was getting on for 4 hours. Mind you, two of us had only played it once, ages ago, and without the expansion.

(edited for typos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
Jeff321 wrote:

We played Caverna with 7 players once. It took over 3 hours, but most players enjoyed it. For a complex Eurogame it was totally fine for me.

At least you have a sensible set-up time vs. play time ratio with so many players (while my wife and me really like Caverna, we never play it because set-up takes forever...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is a auction/worker placement hybrid, which works up to 6 players.

Of course, at this player count, you do feel the downtime, but in general turns are very fast, so it is not too bad.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoW feels long with 6, and LoW is my most played WP so I like it a lot. Caverna will be looking at 3.5 hours with 7. I think either game would top out at 5 players for me personally. I would honestly rather break up the group into two games and get done vastly quicker if 7 are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires: Age of Discovery plays 6. Similar downtime to any other worker placement game with 6 - though with fewer options than a game like Caverna it should play a little faster. I also like that it's an area control, sort-of engine builder, on top of the worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snarky yet honest remark: You'll probably have more fun playing two 3p games of Snowdonia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem will do this with both expansions and without too much downtime.

As a word of warning though, if you mostly prefer more conventional Euros you may find it too confrontional, especially the no holds barred negotiation element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.