Popular Tags: [View All]
John Starman
United States
Elgin
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to re-take an island base once the Japanese have taken it? I don't see invasion forces for the USN player. Does the game end immediately when the Japanese player takes two island bases?

Also, what happens when the IJN player loses CV, CVL or BB on a non-active route and non IJN turn from a USN player air strike? From the rules, it seems like the IJN player only rolls for morale if one of these units is lost on an IJN active route turn. Do we roll for morale after these losses? So far I am finding that the IJN player, because of the rules, has to keep advancing toward a base regardless of composition of it's own task force or the type of USN forces nearby. This has led to heavier CV losses from USN strikes that don't seem like should be possible. Not sure if all of this is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about this too.
On the one hand, I understand the rule as the Japanese did retreat after their own operations failed, but they continued to feed military forces into the Guadalcanal Campaign no matter what the USA threw at them.

I am also wondering about how to handle IJN forces with no air power in range of them but have US airpower within range. Do I have to sink every unit to force them back? Should there be some retreat mechanism?

I am also wondering about the range of LBA. Japanese air units from Wake could attack Midway but was that even possible? If it was, why didn't Japan use those planes to strike Midway first and thus preserve the secrecy of their carrier force?

I am liking the game a lot, but I also have quite a few questions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
p40kitty wrote:
Is it possible to re-take an island base once the Japanese have taken it? I don't see invasion forces for the USN player. Does the game end immediately when the Japanese player takes two island bases?

John,

You're right, the U.S. cannot conduct an amphibious invasion at this stage in the war.

Assume that you, in the role of Nimits, made a request of CINCPAC, but were coldly and indifferently turned down by an official and sterile U.S. Navy communique: "The Department of the Navy does not consider it advisable at this time, and will not consider it advisable until the IJN has been rendered ineffective in your area of operations. STOP."

Quote:
Also, what happens when the IJN player loses CV, CVL or BB on a non-active route and non IJN turn from a USN player air strike? From the rules, it seems like the IJN player only rolls for morale if one of these units is lost on an IJN active route turn.

Right, you read the rules correctly.

Think of it this way: You may have sunk the two light carriers that were dispatched as diversions up to the Aleutians, but if the Japanese objective is Midway (i.e., the activated route line), they're not going to call off their mission.

Quote:
Do we roll for morale after these losses?

No; only activated route lines apply, exactly as the rules specify.

Quote:
So far I am finding that the IJN player, because of the rules, has to keep advancing toward a base regardless of composition of it's own task force or the type of USN forces nearby.

That's correct.

Quote:
This has led to heavier CV losses from USN strikes that don't seem like should be possible. Not sure if all of this is right?

That's what the morale rule is supposed to simulate. If Japan loses too many CVs, its fleet has to return to Japan. See page 7 (lower right corner).

Thanks for playing!

:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
I wondered about this too.
On the one hand, I understand the rule as the Japanese did retreat after their own operations failed, but they continued to feed military forces into the Guadalcanal Campaign no matter what the USA threw at them.

I am also wondering about how to handle IJN forces with no air power in range of them but have US airpower within range. Do I have to sink every unit to force them back? Should there be some retreat mechanism?

Well, the Japanese did this historically. Consider, for example, the Tokyo Express...wild efforts to keep supplying Guadalcanal despite inadequate air cover). The game may be more aggressive than even that one occasion, but then again, a human opponent wouldn't attempt some of the reckless sorties that the Japanese attempted historically, such as their sailing of transports to New Guinea (where they got chewed up by U.S. skip bombing and strafing).

Quote:
I am also wondering about the range of LBA. Japanese air units from Wake could attack Midway but was that even possible? If it was, why didn't Japan use those planes to strike Midway first and thus preserve the secrecy of their carrier force?

This happened historically. For instance:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/second.html

Quote:
I am liking the game a lot, but I also have quite a few questions as well.

Great; thanks for playing! We put a LOT of work into this game to make it something unique as solitaire games go.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

Midway Island is 1182 miles from Wake Island. With a full bomb load the G3M "Betty" medium bomber -- the main part of the LBA bombing capability at this point -- had an operational radius of about 750 miles. Although this was remarkable for a medium bomber it still falls short of being able to fly that mission. However, that could be extended considerably when the aircraft carried less ordnance and more fuel (without any bombs flying a recon mission the G3M's radius could be increased out to around 1350 miles).

The mission Eric cites were conducted by flying boats (which had fairly limited bomb loads) which were re-fueled partway through their mission from specially configured submarines. I'm not trying to discount/downplay the Japanese ability to conduct an aerial bombardment of Midway with land-based aircraft, but there weren't that many that could reach and their bomb loads really weren't sufficient to amount to much more than harassment raids (unless they got the equivalent of a "lucky hit" on some critical piece of infrastructure). Since I don't own the game, I can't comment on how accurately it depicts that reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miranda
msg tools
US lacked the logistics and landing craft to conduct large-scale amphibious invasions at this stage of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.