Popular Tags: [View All]
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand this rule and my question may just be a quibble about the wording, but I'd appreciate confirmation. From the rule book:

"MONOPOLY When a player launches an Activity of a given color and has more Activities of that color than any other player, he takes the Monopoly card of that color."

Should the "When" really be "After"?

My confusion: Reading the word "when," I envision the instant just BEFORE the player decides to launch a new Activity card, so that he must already be ahead before his turn and then launch another Activity of that color to claim the Monopoly card. But I assume the intent of the rule is to check for the Monopoly AFTER he has added the extra card to his Activities, true?

Thank you in advance for the help (and I forgive anyone who thinks this was a dumb question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see "launching an activity" includes adding the card, so "when" and "immediately after" is the same thing.

In reality though, the check for Monopoly should be "any time a player has more activities of a certain color than any other player", because activities can be traded with certain abilities/bonuses.

Monopolies are not moved on ties, unless an ability says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YIKES! ... you are f-a-s-t!!! My keyboard is still warm. Thank you!

So it's as I thought ... I gain a monopoly due to the new Activity card, even if I wasn't ahead before this card. But to check my understanding, you agree that "After" would be okay (and maybe clearer) in the rules?

Further to what you said above about "any time" I might have been confused due to something you wrote last year on 31 March: "From the rules I would say you only check for monopolies when you are gaining activities." That makes it sound like monopolies can transfer ONLY when someone gains (or maybe loses) an Activity card. Again, maybe it's a fine line between checking continuously ("any time") versus only when "something happens".

Anyway, I think I've got it now. Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are gaining (and losing) activities when activities are swapped too, so it's not really contradictory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. Thanks again.

I'll write separately about eclipse watching/chasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.