Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my family aren't exactly gamers but they do pretty well in most games I bring out. Thematically Viticulture works well with us considering we are Italian and my parents, older brother and his girlfriend are fans of wine and liquor. However, upon playing this solo I realized this can be quite a heavy worker placement game, and while I may have picked it up fairly reasonably they struggled with Elder Sign and usually prefer simpler games like Ticket to Ride and Roll for It!, both of which they ask for by name.
In short, should I try to pitch this to gamers instead? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly not a gateway game... but it really isn't too heavy either. I have found Viti to be easier to teach than: 7-wonders, San Juan, Roll for the Galaxy, etc. Which are similar weight.

One thing I will say is that for some reason Viticulture is a game where (with a few small exceptions) once I explain a rule people remember it because it just makes sense thematically. I would bet that if you can get your family to play about 2 times they will totally get it.

Play a few years of the game where you are helping everybody if they have questions. Open handed etc.

Oh and have you been playing solo with the automa?

If so, you really should play 3 or 4 player solo where you take all sides. This will help you really know the rules regarding the grande worker. There are always questions about that.

The main rules that I tend to have to re-explain is how to harvest a field and how to make wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO this is a light-medium weight eurogame. Heavier than TTR and lighter than, say, Agricola. It would be a reasonable step up from TTR, IF your family actually wants to step up. If they don't, then maybe don't bother. You might ask them, "I've got this game in mind about wine making that's a bit heavier than TTR - wanna try it?". If they say yes, then be sure to learn it well and be really ready to teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about teaching Viticulture to beginning gamers is that each action is thematically connected to the game. Every spot you put your worker on takes an action towards the end goal. Players understand the need to plant vines, then harvest grapes, then make wine, to fill wine orders.

It may take a game or two to grasp all the available options and paths to victory, but the basics are usually pretty easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach Viticulture, I always play 1 full "year" as a teaching game...we then start over and play a real game. That way everyone sees what each season contains, and has a good grasp on the rules.

Hasn't failed me yet in teaching the game to ~10 people who hadn't played before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent method. Redeal all the cards, etc. I do the same thing with Scythe when I teach, but I let them keep the faction and player mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a flowchart on a small whiteboard that I bring out when I teach the game. The visual shows the process of obtaining a vine card all the way through fulfilling an order. People laugh initially when I bring it out, but they use it throughout the game.

The other thing to make sure you point out is that vines stay in their fields after harvesting. For some reason I've had a lot of people think once they harvest they discard their vines.

Good luck, like others are saying, after they play a few times it'll be easy for them and hopefully they'll love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Bulk
msg tools
I think this is a medium not a light medium game. Games like Agricola are medium heavy/ heavy and are not really accessible for "non-gamers".

The game itself is relatively easy to teach though because the actions "make senses"and fits the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.